PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Level Adjustment

Schadenfreuda
2019-04-09, 01:26 AM
Are there any alternatives to level adjustment? I know that WotC have put out several ways to get around it, but I don't know if there's any good alternative to the system entirely.

Troacctid
2019-04-09, 01:34 AM
Do Savage Species's monster classes count?

Malphegor
2019-04-09, 06:09 AM
My group seem to go with 'you don't get access to the abiltiies that would be the obvious cause for your level adjustment until you reach the level the equivalent ability would be unlocked in an alternative mannr'.

So you play a tiefling exactly the same as a LA-0 character, but you don't get your SLA or Outsider type be considered until you're a at the level Darkness becomes a spell for a wizard, for example.

So for example a Midgard Dwarf- most of its level adjustment comes from Bestow Curse, and the ability to ignore crafting requirements and also they get a buncha crafting feats. I'd treat them as a LA 0 character, and deny them those abilities until they're at the level a theoretical other character would get similarish abilities.

I think that's how we're doing it, and is why I am utterly confused by normal LA rules, lol

zlefin
2019-04-09, 06:39 AM
Are there any alternatives to level adjustment? I know that WotC have put out several ways to get around it, but I don't know if there's any good alternative to the system entirely.

level adjustment in which cases? the viability of various alternatives depend somewhat on which exact cases of LA you're talking about, or if you're talking about all cases in general.

Jack_Simth
2019-04-09, 07:16 AM

Define "Good".

Paizo put out one for Pathfinder: Monsters as PC's (http://legacy.aonprd.com/bestiary/monstersAsPCs.html) (supposed to be superseded by the race builder; see here for some info on that (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/)), that basically amounts to CR = Level, with an adjustment downwards as level marches on. It's "good" in the "very powerful" sense, to the point of "if it's in play, there's little-to-no reason not to take it" - which is one definition of "overpowered" or "broken".

CharonsHelper
2019-04-09, 07:25 AM
I know that at one point my table had a houserule to lower LA by a point or two by using a lower point-buy at character creation, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what.

MeimuHakurei
2019-04-09, 07:30 AM
I know that at one point my table had a houserule to lower LA by a point or two by using a lower point-buy at character creation, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what.

Epic 6 has it has a houserule that you start with 32 Point Buy and for each point of Level Adjustment, you remove 8 points from the total - an LA +4 race will require you to use all 8s for stats.

Mordaedil
2019-04-09, 07:44 AM
Do Savage Species's monster classes count?
The way it worked was to balance down the race to roughly equal any other race and have as an option for the character to take a level in a blank class that gives no other benefits, but restores race benefits in line with the base race. This allows the use of the race at lower levels and gives you the option to "opt out" of abilities you don't think you need as bad.

Segev
2019-04-09, 07:28 PM
If you don't mind an in-play solution, there's always True Mind Switch. There are likely other ways to achieve similar effects.

The question I have to ask to be able to suggest mechanics that suit your needs better than LA is: What is it you want to play, and how is LA unsatisfactory as a balancing mechanism?

ChaosStar
2019-04-09, 07:35 PM
My GM is allowing us to pay LA off with Level Debt, we have to sacrifice a certain GP worth of items we find. It also applies if we want lots of ACFs for a single class. Right now only the Half-Dragon in the party is paying it.

Quarian Rex
2019-04-10, 07:03 AM
One thing that I've been toying with is to convert all the benefits of the race/template/etc. into an equivalent magic item cost, paid in xp (where 5gp=1xp) and have the cost split up between the LA according to whatever xp progression ratios you are using. The LA is then bought off with each milestone of xp investment (first LA being the most expensive, last being least).

This works best when you have some way to share xp in the party (I'm using tangible xp) and essentially makes LA buy-off the equivalent of magic item creation. This actually gells quite well with the cosmology of my world as well, so that's an advantage.

Bphill561
2019-04-11, 09:18 AM
This is not perfect or universal, but it works well in certain situations.

I am a big fan of the Savage Progressions for the Lich, vampire, half-fiend, and half-dragon templates. There are also racial progressions for changing from "lesser" version of races for full drow/deep gnomes for example. Each of these classes allow you to stop after a single level in the class, leaving you with 1 LA. Then add Uncanny trickster or Legacy champion to advance the template class. This is pretty specific, but it allows you remove much of the LA for HD. I rather have 1 LA and 3 uncanny trickster levels over 3 LA for the half dragon template. The uncanny trickster also has a nice skill list to pad out your character.

I am okay with monster PC's taking levels, but I always though racial HD would have been a better way to go over LA. That way they would not fall so far behind, even if they did not get class features. If LA buy off is not an option, I liked the homebrew system of converting LA to HD. You still have the problem with high ECL monsters not being playable at high levels and casting monsters get the shaft, but that seems to be much more balanced overall for skill caps, feats, and such.

Bphill561
2019-04-11, 10:10 AM
One thing that I've been toying with is to convert all the benefits of the race/template/etc. into an equivalent magic item cost, paid in xp (where 5gp=1xp) and have the cost split up between the LA according to whatever xp progression ratios you are using. The LA is then bought off with each milestone of xp investment (first LA being the most expensive, last being least).

This works best when you have some way to share xp in the party (I'm using tangible xp) and essentially makes LA buy-off the equivalent of magic item creation. This actually gells quite well with the cosmology of my world as well, so that's an advantage.

Prestige Races in dragon magazine #304 sort of works like this. You pick up a feat called sculpt self that allows you to perform rituals that give you magical bonuses. It charges quite a bit of xp, but you can add abilities as you go. There are listed themes, but you can make your own up as well. Many races you could probably break down into groups of similar magic item enchantments. It might seem expensive overall, but if you keep your character 2 levels behind everyone else you will get a lot more xp per encounter to cover the costs. Still much better than LA.