Shuruke
2019-04-09, 07:42 AM
So
Theirs the search action as an action

However

What about other skills

Would intimidation be an action
Or could it be allowed as bonus action

What about recalling information on a creature?

Is their any RAW or AL way this is supposed to b handled

Unoriginal
2019-04-09, 08:51 AM
The PHB has an "Improvise an Action" part in the combat section.

The basic rule expectation is that nothing is a bonus action unless it's specifically said to be in a feature.

Making an ability check, with or without a proficiency, is an Action unless an exception is provided.

strangebloke
2019-04-09, 09:04 AM
The PHB has an "Improvise an Action" part in the combat section.

The basic rule expectation is that nothing is a bonus action unless it's specifically said to be in a feature.

Making an ability check, with or without a proficiency, is an Action unless an exception is provided.

Yup, he's got it here.

TBH, though, whenever it has come up, it isn't because my players improvised an action, its because they were roleplaying some kind of non-action. (Like yelling "perish, heretic!") and then, because I felt that the enemy was pretty close to fleeing anyway, I asked the player to make an intimidation check. The intimidation didn't cost an action which would clearly be overpowered as a standard option, but as an ad-libbed bonus I felt it was fine. Sort of like handing out a free inspiration point.

But the important thing is that, by default rules, everything is an action unless something makes it not an action. Inquisitive rogues can investigate as a bonus action.

CheddarChampion
2019-04-09, 09:06 AM
I was about to tell you what I use in my games but then I re-read the post and saw the RAW qualifier.

Other than what Unoriginal said, the shove action uses athletics and can take up one attack from an extra attack instead of an action. That's pretty clear RAW.

There's also the movement rules. the DM might call on an athletics check for a jump/swim/climb but that doesn't seem to use any actions, just movement. Acrobatics might be used when balancing or to keep your footing after a fall.

BeefGood
2019-04-09, 11:15 AM
I don’t know if ability check always requires an action. Say creature makes an attack (uses its action) and then wants to climb (using its move) a slippery cliff that has DC 15 strength check to climb. Is the creature not allowed to climb the cliff, because it has already used its action?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 11:22 AM
I don’t know if ability check always requires an action. Say creature makes an attack (uses its action) and then wants to climb (using its move) a slippery cliff that has DC 15 strength check to climb. Is the creature not allowed to climb the cliff, because it has already used its action?

A good rule of thumb is, if it costs a resource (such as movement, reaction, action, or bonus action) then it probably doesn't consume another resource. In this case, Climbing either uses your normal movement at an increased rate, or it uses your Climbing speed (if you have one), and I don't see any reason for those scenarios to require your Action (unless you were doing something that explicitly required your Action, like pulling something out of the wall you're climbing).

strangebloke
2019-04-09, 11:48 AM
A good rule of thumb is, if it costs a resource (such as movement, reaction, action, or bonus action) then it probably doesn't consume another resource. In this case, Climbing either uses your normal movement at an increased rate, or it uses your Climbing speed (if you have one), and I don't see any reason for those scenarios to require your Action (unless you were doing something that explicitly required your Action, like pulling something out of the wall you're climbing).

Stated in another way:

The general rule is that an ability check requires an action.
Specific rules supercede this general rule and allow for checks without requiring an action.
Examples of these specific rules include: jumping extra far with athletics as part of your movement, climbing slippery surfaces with athletics as part of your movement, shove with athletics as a bonus action or in place of an attack.
Finally, if the DM calls for an ability check for any reason, (IE, to avoid getting grappled by tentacles) it does not require an action.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 11:51 AM
Stated in another way:

The general rule is that an ability check requires an action.
Specific rules supercede this general rule and allow for checks without requiring an action.
Examples of these specific rules include: jumping extra far with athletics as part of your movement, climbing slippery surfaces with athletics as part of your movement, shove with athletics as a bonus action or in place of an attack.
Finally, if the DM calls for an ability check for any reason, (IE, to avoid getting grappled by tentacles) it does not require an action.

The complicated part is when the Player asks to use their Action for those special checks. I'd probably rule them as being made with Advantage, but it's interesting that there's no general rule for those circumstances.

Puh Laden
2019-04-09, 11:58 AM
A player says what their character is doing, the DM decides how to adjudicate it. At most tables (including mine), if you're using a class feature or doing something else that already has a rule for it, you can shortcut the process by declaring that you're using that "gamey" resource. What resources a declared course of action uses or if an ability check is needed at all is determined by the circumstances and the DM. Generally, I'd rule the same in most circumstances as have already been discussed.

Coffee_Dragon
2019-04-09, 12:39 PM
A player says what their character is doing, the DM decides how to adjudicate it.

I agree with this. Some abilities or game options will say what kind of action and ability check they involve. If a player wants to do something non-formalized, the DM decides what kind of action it is and/or calls for an ability check in the course of resolving it. The player doesn't go "I use my action to make a foo proficiency check" unless this is shorthand for a specific ability or something already established at the table.