PDA

View Full Version : Starting My first 5e game soon need character help

Nosta
2019-04-09, 11:06 AM
I am looking at playing a pole-Arm character and am not sure what class or stuff I should grab for it. I am kinda thinking battle master with pole-Arm master but i,m unsure

Unsure what level we'll start but I like some ideas for a build between level 2 & 6

jaappleton
2019-04-09, 11:10 AM
I am looking at playing a pole-Arm character and am not sure what class or stuff I should grab for it. I am kinda thinking battle master with pole-Arm master but i,m unsure

Unsure what level we'll start but I like some ideas for a build between level 2 & 6

Ok.

First question, because this greatly influences the suggestions:

How magical do you want to be?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 11:17 AM

Welcome to the game!

It'll heavily depend on how complex you want to be.

The Fighter, for example, is incredibly simple, but can become complex based on how you want to play.
Fighter Subclasses:

The Eldritch Knight is probably the most complex Fighter, using spells to augment his defense or provide ranged attacks as needed. Highly versatile, but the options can be intimidating.
The Battlemaster is a runner up as the second most complex. You don't use spells, but instead use a singular resource to make special attacks. Also highly versatile and adaptable, but everything works off of your attacks.
The Champion is the most simple, as the only notable change is your damage output. You deal lots of damage, and you don't die as easily. It's about as simple as it gets.

With this being your first 5e game, I'd recommend talking to your DM about either starting at a lower level (1-2 would be perfect) so you can decide how complex you want it. Or, if the DM wants to start at a higher level, ask the DM if you can change your class/subclass after you learn the ropes.

There's no point in playing a game you don't enjoy or don't understand, and that won't happen until you get your feet wet. I'd recommend starting simple and working your way up from there, because someone who's too advanced for their build will have a lot more fun than someone who has no idea what they're doing.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-04-09, 11:52 AM
Adding on to the others here, do you play any other types of games? Other tabletop roleplaying games are useful, but familiarity with certain types of video games or even board games can be really helpful.

If you have some adjacent experience, you might enjoy more complex tactical options. Otherwise, it might be best to stick to more simple formulas until you really get a feel for the game.

strangebloke
2019-04-09, 12:08 PM

Jaapleton and Man_over_Game have the right of it. It all depends on how complex you want to be. My guess is that since you're on here and you're talking about PoleArmMaster(PAM) that you're something of a powergamer and that you've done some research.

So, from simple to complex, here are my suggestions:
Bear Totem Barbarian: Simplest build in the game. Give yourself high strength, high constitution, and middling dexterity and you're pretty much good to go. For your ASIs, you can boost strength, take PAM, take Great Weapon Master(GWM) in any order you like!
Champion Fighter: Starts out simple, but as you take more feats it gets more complicated. Still, pretty straightforward. Doesn't combo super well with Great Weapon Master as they have no to-hit bonuses.
Any Other Barbarian: Look, they all do well with PAM, except for the berzerker. Most barbarians have an inefficient action economy (except for the berzerker) and really benefit from PAM's flexibility. Honorable mention to the Ancestral Guardian, who can run in, stab a boss, and then run away, having inflicted a serious debuff.
Samurai Fighter: Still pretty simple. I'm not a huge fan of this archetype, but it is good at pumping out a huge amount of damage in a few rounds. Honestly there's no particular synergy with PAM.
Cavalier Fighter: Why is this called the Cavalier? Should be called "The Road Block." Great at preventing people from hurting your allies. Really benefits from having long reach. There's insane synergy with this subclass and PAM, but it mostly comes in at higher levels (level 10) so eh.
BattleMaster Fighter: Now we're getting a little complicated. Precision Attack is your best bet here, and combos insanely well with GWM.
Eldritch Knight: Most complex fighter subclass and probably the best. Works well with a two-handed fighting style since you can cast while holding a two-handed weapon, but can't if you're holding sword and shield. Really hardy, flexible subclass.
Any Paladin: Look, Paladins are really complicated, alright? Not to build, but to manage. They have to keep track of four separate resource pools. The main issue here is that paladins (like monks) are dependent on several different stats and consequently don't really have feats to spare. They can grab GWM and PAM, but they have to weight that against boosting strength, boosting Charisma, and getting feats that improve their spellcasting.. Best GWM paladin is the Devotion Paladin, due to their great channel divinity ability.

Honestly I would reccomend the Cavalier since its an option of middling complexity that feels really fun to play. Just remember, you don't have to be mounted

Nosta
2019-04-09, 01:35 PM
I been playing 3.5 and pf for about 8 years. Am a fan of anime / high fantasy and other such nerd stuff. I am thinking battle master and looks like we'll start @ level 5 and I have chosen Variant human

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 01:41 PM
I been playing 3.5 and pf for about 8 years. Am a fan of anime / high fantasy and other such nerd stuff. I am thinking battle master and looks like we'll start @ level 5 and I have chosen Variant human

Ah, so if you're used to complex stuff, then say no more!

The Battle Master is a good choice, especially when combined with Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master and Trip Attack. Combined, you can knock an enemy down, use your GWM "Power Attack" with low accuracy with your Polearm Master's Bonus Attack, get Advantage to hit on the proned target, and get a hefty boost to your overall damage output.

Once you hit level 8, consider picking up Sentinel to stop enemies from approaching you when combined with Polearm Master. Those three feats (Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master, Sentinel) is a commonly known trio of powerful feats for a melee combatant Fighter. As to what maneuvers you want to use for your Battle Master Maneuvers, just avoid anything that uses your Reaction or your Bonus Action and you'll be fine (as you should be using those resources regularly from Polearm Master anyway).

For a more "tanking" build, you can use a spear+shield for Polearm Master and Sentinel to keep enemies close to you. While your damage output is slightly less, you do have a higher AC, and enemies will no longer be able to move 10 feet away from you safely. This build also is less costly in terms of feats, so you can afford to increase your Strength (which improves the potency of your maneuvers). You can even afford to ditch Sentinel, allowing you to further bolster your Strength, as it's not as integral to the build when your reach is the standard 5ft.

Wildarm
2019-04-09, 01:53 PM

A standard Variant Human Fighter with 16 Strength taking the Polearm Master feat should give you a good base start. Most of the fighter kits are all very playable for a first time 5E player. Champion is a bit simple if you have played previous D&D editions though. Battlemaster is my personal favorite for being a controlling and reactive fighter. After level 3 you can branch out to other classes or push on for more ASI/feats and attacks.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-04-09, 01:54 PM

Take a good look at Eldritch Knight, too. Cavaliers are better at tanking and Battle Masters should never be underestimated, but even light access to magic is powerful in it's own right. If you can spare a feat later for War Caster, Spear + Shield on an EK with the shield and absorb elements spells is one of the toughest nuts to crack in the game.

It also combos impressively well with the Wizard class, especially Abjuration and War if you'd rather stick to being a primary Fighter instead of a weird kind of Wizard. You can reasonably get this online as early as level 5 (three levels in Fighter, 2 in Wizard), but I really recommend going to Fighter 5 first for Extra Attack. The cantrips Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade can partially make up for this if you're impatient, though, and they're not to be underestimated either. Plus they're inherently cool, especially if you're an anime fan.