PDA

View Full Version : Spells that let you make saves you fail

AthasianWarlock
2019-04-09, 11:45 AM
Is there any spell that lets you make a save you just failed. I thought I had found one but I can't refined it so I am wondering if it was maybe a different edition. I thought it was called something like crusader mantle.

Saintheart
2019-04-10, 01:35 AM
There's Ray of Resurgence that gives you another roll on a failed save against an ongoing effect.

Thurbane
2019-04-10, 02:14 AM
Resurgence (SC p.174) is usually the go to...allows the subject to re-roll a save against an ongoing effect.

Unless OP means a spell that automatically allows you to succeed on a save you failed?

There's Iron Heart Surge (ToB p.68), which is a maneuver that automatically ends an ongoing effect on yourself.

Khedrac
2019-04-10, 03:05 AM
And if going down the resurgence line, don't forget resurgence, mass for when everyone else in the party fluffed their save...

For my favored soul the biggest problem with resurgence was watching the targetted character fail their save again...

magic9mushroom
2019-04-10, 03:57 AM
Is there any spell that lets you make a save you just failed. I thought I had found one but I can't refined it so I am wondering if it was maybe a different edition. I thought it was called something like crusader mantle.

I'm sure there's a list around somewhere, but I do feel the need to point out how there are several different kinds of rerolls:

a) roll twice and pick the better one (this is extremely rare, but the best of them)
b) may reroll after having it declared a success or failure (also fairly rare)
c) may reroll after seeing the number but before it's declared a success or failure (most common, but least useful)

Luck Domain has a C reroll as its domain power. A Luck Blade gives a reroll 1/day (not specified whether B or C). Second Chance (a psionic power) appears to give a reroll (not specified whether B or C) every round for the duration (which is a bit of a headscratcher since the higher-level Fate of One only gives you one immediate-action reroll). Wish and Reality Revision can give a delayed B reroll.

Complete Scoundrel's luck rerolls are mostly C rerolls with a couple of Bs and a couple of cases where C and B are equivalent (i.e. triggers on natural 1 on attack or save, which you already know is a failure). For the most part, they're not very useful - especially since you need feats to access any of them.

Races of Destiny has the spells Warp Destiny and Choose Destiny, both exclusive to the Destiny Domain; Warp Destiny gives you an immediate-action B reroll with a +20 insight bonus, while Choose Destiny gives you A rerolls on every action for the duration.

Eldariel
2019-04-10, 04:47 AM
Alter Fortune [PHBII] is of course the basic one, though again it's not certain whether or not you get to know the result before you make the reroll.

Thurbane
2019-04-10, 04:41 PM
If we're talking items, there's also Phaant's Luckstones (Gh p.72), which are a one shot, slotless items that allows a you to re-roll one roll as if using the Luck Domain power. 1,000gp a pop.

ViperMagnum357
2019-04-10, 05:06 PM
One I can think of the the Bitter lies Swordsman from Secrets of the Scorpion, part of the Rokugan campaign setting. 5 level PRC, and once per day per level in the class you can reroll an attack, save or skill check. One thing that sets it apart: if you fail your reroll and failure would result in immediate death, something such as a skill check to avoid a pool of acid, save versus a save or die effect, or an attack to cut your way out of something that swallowed you whole, you can reroll your reroll, with the third attempt standing. One of the few printed ways to affect a failed reroll.

Thurbane
2019-04-10, 06:08 PM
I thought there was a re-roll handbook, but I can't find it?

Mordaedil
2019-04-11, 04:55 AM
Wings of Cover can also reasonably save you from a result you don't like the sound of.

ben-zayb
2019-04-11, 05:35 AM
Surge of Fortune (CC, Cleric 5) is a persistable short-term buff that gives save bonus and can be discharged to treat your d20 roll as a natural 20. It doesn't give you the reroll, however, sp either use preemptively or combine it wuth reroll-granters such as Alter Fortune, Choose Destiny, or the Destiny Domain power

Choose Destiny (RoD, Destiny Domain 9) is a persistable short-term buff that allows you to roll twice and take the best result on d20 rolls.

magic9mushroom
2019-04-11, 10:10 PM
Wings of Cover can also reasonably save you from a result you don't like the sound of.

You can't use it after rolling a save. Also, in a lot of cases this results in one of your fellow PCs getting hit.

Thurbane
2019-04-11, 10:18 PM
There's also Benediction (CC p.116); at any point before the spell expires, the recipient can choose to re-roll a save, attack roll, skill check or ability check, and take the higher of the two results.