PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Whip

MThurston
2019-04-09, 11:50 AM
4 Fighter/4 Rogue

1. HumanV with Sentinel.
2. Defense Fighting Style.
3. Plate Mail/Shield wearing multiclass.
4. Sneak Attack possible 3 times per game turn.
5. Swashbuckler/Battle Master
6. Push, Disarm and Trip all with whip fluff.

nickl_2000
2019-04-09, 11:53 AM
Why defensive fighting style? You are wearing full plate and using a shield and using a reach weapon. I would think that Dueling would be more effective.

stoutstien
2019-04-09, 11:55 AM
4 Fighter/4 Rogue

1. HumanV with Sentinel.
2. Defense Fighting Style.
3. Plate Mail/Shield wearing multiclass.
4. Sneak Attack possible 3 times per game turn.
5. Swashbuckler/Battle Master
6. Push, Disarm and Trip all with whip fluff.

Where's the third sneak attack coming from?

Keravath
2019-04-09, 11:57 AM
I think sneak attack is available at most twice though I could be wrong.

One sneak attack when taking your turn (attack/extra attack or bonus action attack can generate at most one sneak attack) and once from your reaction if you manage to get a reaction attack. Most of the schemes to get a second sneak attack in a turn use your reaction.

MThurston
2019-04-09, 11:59 AM

One sneak attack when taking your turn (attack/extra attack or bonus action attack can generate at most one sneak attack) and once from your reaction if you manage to get a reaction attack. Most of the schemes to get a second sneak attack in a turn use your reaction.

One on my turn, one as an OA and one as a reaction. That makes three but it is situational. I would have to have someone near the target or just myself.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-09, 12:01 PM

The only way I can think of getting more is being a 17th lvl Scout or Thief.

Scout can do a second sneak during its own turn (albeit at a different creature), with haste for att, BA attack, and ready for a third attack it could do 3 SA in a round.

Thief gets a second turn during the first round, so it could potentially do 4 sneaks during the first round of combat if hasted.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-09, 12:03 PM
One on my turn, one as an OA and one as a reaction. That makes three but it is situational. I would have to have someone near the target or just myself.

OAs are reactions

Zuras
2019-04-09, 12:26 PM
The only way I can think of getting more is being a 17th lvl Scout or Thief.

Scout can do a second sneak during its own turn (albeit at a different creature), with haste for att, BA attack, and ready for a third attack it could do 3 SA in a round.

Thief gets a second turn during the first round, so it could potentially do 4 sneaks during the first round of combat if hasted.

Theoretically, a thief of 13th level or higher with a scroll of Shapechange could turn into a Marilith (or other creature with the reactive trait) and make an unlimited number of sneak attacks, assuming enough OAs presented themselves.

Vogie
2019-04-09, 12:29 PM
OAs are reactions

However, if OP would switch to Cavalier Fighter, they could get bonus action attacks on targets they've marked, equal to their Strength modifier per long rest. Sadly, the Unwavering Mark Feature only causes disadvantage as long as you're within 5 ft.

Misterwhisper
2019-04-09, 12:32 PM
Why bother with rogue at all?
Sneak attacks are good and all, but if you had just gone fighter 8 you would have an extra ASI, and an extra attack every round on top of more progress in fighter subclasses, probably battle master.

Or

Just play a Rogue 8, with a race that can use a whip.

nickl_2000
2019-04-09, 12:34 PM
Why bother with rogue at all?
Sneak attacks are good and all, but if you had just gone fighter 8 you would have an extra ASI, and an extra attack every round on top of more progress in fighter subclasses, probably battle master.

Or

Just play a Rogue 8, with a race that can use a whip.

What races can use the whip?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 12:36 PM

Technically any race could by grabbing the Gladiator background. The Whip is odd and unused enough for me to consider it a valid choice.

tieren
2019-04-09, 12:42 PM
I'd go with a booming blade focused build which would require spell sniper (or distant metamagic I suppose) to pull off.

I'd say, Bladesinger/Rogue. Get whip proficiency with Bladesinger (still counts as 1 handed melee weapon), grab spell sniper at level 4 ASI. Then stand behind your front liners to give you the ally within 5 feet and Booming blade away with extra damage and sneak attack from reach.

Greenflame Blade on a whip would be a cool visual too.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-09, 12:42 PM
However, if OP would switch to Cavalier Fighter, they could get bonus action attacks on targets they've marked, equal to their Strength modifier per long rest. Sadly, the Unwavering Mark Feature only causes disadvantage as long as you're within 5 ft.

Yeah, but BActions are used on your turn, so it would still only do 1 SA on his turn and 1 outside of it.

MThurston
2019-04-09, 12:49 PM
Yeah, but BActions are used on your turn, so it would still only do 1 SA on his turn and 1 outside of it.

The idea was for looking for effects that would be cool with a whip. It does look like only two SA.

Also rogue/Swashbuckler was for SA and moving after attacking.

Ventruenox
2019-04-09, 12:55 PM
War Cleric 1/Kensei Monk X. Whip as your monk weapon amped up with Divine Favor.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 01:05 PM
The idea was for looking for effects that would be cool with a whip. It does look like only two SA.

Also rogue/Swashbuckler was for SA and moving after attacking.

There's not much reason to invest into Whip if you're playing as a Swashbuckler. The primary reason to be using the Whip is to avoid enemy Opportunity Attacks as you hit enemies and run away. There's just a lot of redundancy in the combination that doesn't work out in your favor (especially considering the fact that you have to make some kind of investment to use the Whip).

Rather, I could see the Whip be used well by an Arcane Trickster with Spell Sniper, or an Inquisitive Rogue.

NathanialG
2019-04-09, 01:09 PM
Bugbear battlemaster rogue.

1 Rogue/11 battlemaster/whatever rogue subclass
Get all the reach for battlefield control shenanigans.

MThurston
2019-04-09, 01:30 PM
I think the only way to get a 3+ SA is by a Battle Master giving their attack to you.

The Swashbuckler is for freedom of movement and a bonus to initiative. Also you can SA by yourself which is nice.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 01:33 PM
I think the only way to get a 3+ SA is by a Battle Master giving their attack to you.

The Swashbuckler is for freedom of movement and a bonus to initiative. Also you can SA by yourself which is nice.

The Battlemaster can only do so if the ally spends their Reaction:

[...]That creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll.

There is no instance of a creature being able to make an attack outside of their turn without using a Reaction. The closest you could get is with the Cavalier's free Reactions for Opportunity Attacks (which still uses Reactions, but basically gives you a large supply of them).

JackPhoenix
2019-04-09, 01:43 PM
Technically any race could by grabbing the Gladiator background. The Whip is odd and unused enough for me to consider it a valid choice.

Gladiator doesn't give proficiency. It does give the weapon as equipment.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 01:49 PM
Gladiator doesn't give proficiency. It does give the weapon as equipment.

Crap, you're right.

D*mn, that's stupid. As if throwing a net wasn't hard enough with Disadvantage, now you have to make it without proficiency?!

Wildarm
2019-04-09, 01:55 PM

Hobgoblin is about the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Any other races that get a generic martial weapon proficiency?

Ventruenox
2019-04-09, 01:55 PM
If UA is allowed, there is a confluence of conditions that could allow more than 3 Sneak Attacks in one round.

Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style bonus action to adopt the fighting stance. Be under a Greater Invisibility spell and positioned strategically at a bottleneck with friendly casters on the other side of a group of baddies.

Secondary caster casts Fear to drive baddies through the bottleneck. All affected creatures may be subject to Sneak Attack as they pass the invisible Rogue.

tieren
2019-04-09, 02:00 PM
There is no instance of a creature being able to make an attack outside of their turn without using a Reaction. The closest you could get is with the Cavalier's free Reactions for Opportunity Attacks (which still uses Reactions, but basically gives you a large supply of them).

Tunnel fighter (UA) fighting style let you make OA without using your reaction, and as was noted some creatures have an ability called "reactive" which lets them take a reaction on every turn in combat (Marilith).

JackPhoenix
2019-04-09, 02:03 PM
Crap, you're right.

D*mn, that's stupid. As if throwing a net wasn't hard enough with Disadvantage, now you have to make it without proficiency?!

Well, presumably gladiator would pick a class that lend itself to that playstyle. Or use a refluffed weapon... sai or kukri would be unusual, even if it's actually just a shortsword or dagger (Well, ignoring sai isn't sharp and kukri has more in common with handaxe than shortsword).

Vogie
2019-04-09, 03:03 PM

You DO only get sneak attack once a turn, sure, but not if you miss. That allows 2 attacks, in a single turn, with a single finesse weapon (without dual wielding), before having the Extra attack feature (and not using action surge). That ain't nothing.

Of course, you'd have to get them to hit people other than you... but that's why you have a whip in the first place.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-09, 03:11 PM
You DO only get sneak attack once a turn, sure, but not if you miss. That allows 2 attacks, in a single turn, with a single finesse weapon (without dual wielding), before having the Extra attack feature (and not using action surge). That ain't nothing.

Of course, you'd have to get them to hit people other than you... but that's why you have a whip in the first place.

Oh, ok, yeah they make your SAs more reliable.

FrancisBean
2019-05-20, 01:34 AM
If UA is allowed, there is a confluence of conditions that could allow more than 3 Sneak Attacks in one round.

Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style bonus action to adopt the fighting stance. Be under a Greater Invisibility spell and positioned strategically at a bottleneck with friendly casters on the other side of a group of baddies.

...or without UA -- in fact, it's PHB+1, so AL legal! -- Cavalier 18 / Rogue 1. Sort of a trivial example, since that big whopping 1d6 SA isn't going to turn many tides, but it's there. (I'm ignoring advantage because at that point there are plenty of ways to get it if you just want to prove that possibility.)

Naanomi
2019-05-20, 08:12 AM
Hobgoblin is about the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Any other races that get a generic martial weapon proficiency?
V human can take the feat for it

NaughtyTiger
2019-05-20, 10:22 AM
...or without UA -- in fact, it's PHB+1, so AL legal! -- Cavalier 18 / Rogue 1. Sort of a trivial example, since that big whopping 1d6 SA isn't going to turn many tides, but it's there. (I'm ignoring advantage because at that point there are plenty of ways to get it if you just want to prove that possibility.)

it is only 2 sneak attacks per round.
1 on your turn
1 on your reaction

edit: except for the cavalier's 18th level ability... my bad, i misread it.

stoutstien
2019-05-20, 10:37 AM
it is only 2 sneak attacks per round.
1 on your turn
1 on your reaction

The limit of SA is once per turn so with cavalier's bonus reactions the player could get SA a hand full of times but is limited by reach

NaughtyTiger
2019-05-20, 11:28 AM
The limit of SA is once per turn so with cavalier's bonus reactions the player could get SA a hand full of times but is limited by reach

Oh, man, I totally misread the 18th level ability. I stand corrected.