PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warforged Subrace Runeforged

sleepyhead
2019-04-09, 12:31 PM
Had this on Sphinx6448´s post but figured it fit better own it´s own (because I used to wrong system). But how do yall feel about this. Runic blast is a bit of a rip off of dragonborns dragonbreath feature.

Runeforged
You were built to control arcane magic with a variety of runes itched into your body. You might be a warmage, an arcane crafter, or an inventor.
• Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score or your Charisma score increases by 2.
• Runic Blast. As an action you can create a explosion of magic energy around you. All creatures within 10ft of you must make a Dexterity save. The save equals 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increase to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th, and 5d6 at 16th level. After using your runic blast, you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest. This damage can be fire, cold or force.
• Integrated Spell Focus. Choose a spellcasting focus or spell component pouch. This item is integrated into your body, and cannot be disarmed unless you are incapacitated.

Crisis21
2019-04-09, 01:06 PM
I always like seeing homebrew for the warforged in 5e. They're such an interesting race.

This subrace looks good and mostly balanced in my view. It would fit in nicely with some previous Warforged homebrew I've done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565371-Races-of-Eberron-UA-Warforged-Homebrew-Expansion-(PEACH)).

Advice: Either make the damage type of Runic Blast straight Force damage, or have the player select what damage type it is upon choosing this subrace and be unable to change it later. I'd also advise adding Thunder and Lightning to the choices in the latter case.

I'd also suggest that you don't need your hands free to use the integrated spell focus. You might still need them free for somatic components, but not the spell focus.

sleepyhead
2019-04-09, 01:11 PM
I'd also suggest that you don't need your hands free to use the integrated spell focus. You might still need them free for somatic components, but not the spell focus.

So they effectively get warcaster feat for free? With normal spell casting you still need your hand open unless stated other wise.

some previous Warforged homebrew I've done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?565371-Races-of-Eberron-UA-Warforged-Homebrew-Expansion-(PEACH))
Neat stuff ^

Crisis21
2019-04-09, 01:24 PM
So they effectively get warcaster feat for free? With normal spell casting you still need your hand open unless stated other wise.

Warcaster mentions nothing about spellcasting focuses, only the ability to use somatic components while holding weapons. In fact, as far as I can find, you don't need a free hand to use normal spellcasting focuses. All they do is remove the need for material components that 1) are not consumed by the spell and 2) do not have a listed monetary value.

Ergo, integrated focus only removes the possibility that your spellcasting focus could be stolen from you or otherwise lost. It's a nice feature, but hardly overpowered even for a spellcasting class.

So... actually just take out any mention of hands in regards to the integrated focus and it should be balanced.

sleepyhead
2019-04-09, 01:31 PM
So... actually just take out any mention of hands in regards to the integrated focus and it should be balanced.

Works for me.

Crisis21
2019-04-10, 12:19 AM
Runeforged
You were built to control arcane magic with a variety of runes itched into your body. You might be a warmage, an arcane crafter, or an inventor.
• Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score or your Charisma score increases by 2.
• Runic Blast. As an action you can create a explosion of magic energy around you. All creatures within 10ft of you must make a Dexterity save. The save equals 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increase to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th, and 5d6 at 16th level. After using your runic blast, you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest. This damage can be fire, cold or force.
• Integrated Spell Focus. Choose a spellcasting focus or spell component pouch. This item is integrated into your body, and cannot be disarmed unless you are incapacitated.

Complimentary spelling and grammar check.

sleepyhead
2019-04-10, 07:50 AM
Complimentary spelling and grammar check.

Thanks for the spellcheck