PDA

View Full Version : The Idol: Remake of the Bard

Justdamohr
2007-10-01, 08:25 PM
After making my last Base Class, the Savage Priest, I really fell in love with the point system for spells. So I've decided to remake the base classes in a similar style with my own interpretation of what I think the classes are like. This is going to be a long project as I'm already remaking the Wizard, Sorcerer Fighter, and Paladin with the intention of using these new classes for my own personal games. But I definitely would love all of your mechanical critiques and what not.

Okay, the first class I remade is the Bard. I decided to stray from the singing concept and focused on transforming the class into a generic PR styled class where there is more emphasis on skill use and also gaining wages via the skills. Its intended for people who are looking to play a character that would be the face of the group, or possibly the high profile personality, essentially becoming modern day pop culture stars.

The Idol

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency:
All Idols are proficient with simple weapons and one Martial Weapon. They are proficient with light armor and may cast Tricks in them without incurring the Arcane Spell Failure. Anything heavier and the Arcane Spell Failure applies. They are proficient with bucklers and light shields and may cast spells with them without incurring the Arcane Spell Failure. Anything heavier and the Arcane Spell Failure applies.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Highest Spell Level|Tricks Known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Stardom +1/10%, Journeyman Knowledge, Dramatic Entrance|0|4

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Inspire Courage +1|1|6

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Stunning Attraction|1|6

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Touring|2|8

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Stardom +2/30%|2|8

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5| Wit |2|8

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5| Inspire Courage + 2, The Limelight|3|10

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6| Gone Silver |3|10

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6| Sly |3|10

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7| Stardom + 3 50%, Well Informed |4|12

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Professional Performer|4|12

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8| Saucy, Inspire Courage + 3|4|12

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8||5|14

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9| Made Gold|5|14

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9| Stardom + 4 70%, Wily|5|14

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10||6|16

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10| Inspire Courage + 4|6|16

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11||6|16

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11| Godly Wit 6|6|16

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12| Stardom + 5 90%, Going Platinum, Solid Idol |6|18

[/table]

Tricks
At 1st level Idols gain magical abilities called Tricks that are fueled their magnetic personalities. To cast a Trick, Idols must have a Charisma Ability Score equal to 10 + the Spell Level. These tricks are cast spontaneously and are considered arcane magic. The DC for Tricks is equal to 10 + the Spell Level + the Idol’s Charisma Bonus.

The amount of Tricks an Idol can cast is dependent on the amount of Persona Points they possess. At any level an Idol possesses Persona Points equal to [(Level + Cha. Mod.) x Int. Mod.] + Cha. Bonus Points.

Charisma Bonus Points
1-9:0
10-11:4
12-13:6
14-15:10
16-17:12
18-19:16
20-21:20
22-23:22
24-25:26
26-27:30
28-29:32
30-31:36
32-33:40
34-35:42
36-37:46
38-39:50
40-41:52
etc....

These points do not refill over the course of the day but are fully regained after resting for a full 8 hours or depending on your race: 4 hours, etc.

To use a Trick, Idols must use Persona Points equal to the Spell Level.

Idols are limited to the amount of Tricks they can use. Depending on the level determines the highest spell level they can use and the amount of tricks they know. As Idols gain levels, they may swap out old Tricks for new tricks.

Persona Point Costs
0 Level Spells: 1 point
1st Level Spells: 4 points
2nd Level Spells: 6 points
3rd Level Spells: 10points
4th Level Spells: 12 points
5th level Spells: 16 points
6th Level Spells: 20 points

Stardom:
Starting at 1st level, whenever an Idol enters, a village, town, city or metropolis, they have a 10% of being known in that given region. The way this is determined is that the DM rolls the percentage die. If it so happens that the Idol is known, they gain + 1 to all Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate and Perform Checks while staying in that area. As the Idol adventures more, their notoriety increases. At 5th level they gain a + 2 and a 30% chance of being known, at 10th they gain + 3 with a 50% chance of being known, at 15th they gain a + 4 and have a 70% chance of being known and finally at 20th they gain + 5 and a 90% chance of being known.

Journeyman’s Knowledge
At 1st level the Idol gains Bardic Knowledge Class Ability. See page 28 of the PHB 3.5 under Bard.

Dramatic Entrance
Idols possess such overwhelming presence, they cause people to stop and stare for a moment. Thus at 1st level Idols add their Charisma bonus to their Initiative Checks.

Inspire Courage
Idols are well traveled people who have seen the worst and best life has to offer. As a result they have become comfortable with the ways of the world and of society. Starting at 2nd level Idols gain a + 1 to saves against charm and fear effects. Those whom the Idol considers allies and friends also gain this bonus. They must be within 5ft per Idol level of the Idol. As the Idol travels more, they gain more security with themselves and with the world and thus their bonuses against fears and charms increases. At 7th this becomes + 2, at 12th it is + 3, and at 17th it becomes + 4.

Stunning Attraction
At 3rd level, an Idol's Charisma is potent enough to cause people to literally stop and stare for a while. Anyone within 5ft per Idol level must make a Will Save equal to 10 + 1/2 Idol's Class Level (rounded down) + their Cha. Modifier or suffer the effects of Fascinate from the Bard Ability. They must be able to see and hear the Idol for this ability to effect them. The Idol also must see the creatures. The distraction of a nearby combat or other dangers prevents the ability from working. Unlike the bard ability, Idols needn't focus to continue fascinating people. And unlike the bard ability, those that succeed the will save are immune to the Idol's effect for 24 hours. THIS IS AN ENCHANTMENT. This ability last as long as the Idol remains in the presence of the creatures or until distracted. If distracted the creature is immune to the ability for 1d4 rounds after which they must make another Will Save.

Touring
By 4th level, Idols are no longer limited to making earnings once per day using Perform but rather multiple earnings at varied venues. Traditionally the earnings would be 1d10, 3d6, etc./per day, however its now 1d10, 3d6, etc./per performance. And Idols can perform in the same venue or varied venues throughout a village, town, city or metropolis, ranging from an inn to the corner street.

Wit
Idols are by nature social beings with talents for speaking and performing that for the most part, are unmatched. These skills are so fine tuned; Idols may use the following skills to cast Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate or Perform. The victims must make Save’s against the Skill Ranks of the appropriate skill + the Spell's Level. An Idol may do this a number of times per day equal to half their level + their Int. Modifier. Using Wit makes casting a spell a full round action. Starting at 6th level, Idols may use Wit to cast up to 2nd level spells. The only spells applicable to this ability are ILLUSION AND ENCHANTMENT SPELLS. Spells that require concentration to use, are maintained as long as the Idol continues to use the ability.

The Limelight
Illusions are to Idols as light is to a stage, and therefore, at 7th level, whenever an Idol casts an Illusion while using Perform, Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate, they gain a bonus to that check equal to the spell's level in addition to any granted by the spell. The additional bonus remains for continued checks made while the illusion is still in place.

Gone Silver
By 8th level, an Idol’s popularity is so renowned that whenever they perform they earn nothing less than 5 times their pay. So for instance if an Idol rolls a 10 for a perform check, they wouldn’t earn the typical 1d10 copper as usual but rather 1d10 x 5 copper.

Sly
At 9th level, Idols may use Wit to cast up to 3rd level spells.

Well Informed
At 10th level, Idols have have been exposed to so many stories regarding magic and spells, their Journeyman Knowledge enables them to identify a magical item as if influenced by the IDENTIFY spell.

Professional Performer
At 11th level, whenever an Idol reattempts to make a perform check for the same audience, they do not suffer negatives from the audience disliking their previous performance/s.

Saucy
At 12th level Idols may use Wit to cast up to 4th level spells.

Made Gold
By 14th level, whenever an Idol performs, they earn nothing less than 10 times their pay. So for instance if an Idol rolls a 10 for a perform check, they wouldn’t earn the typical 1d10 copper as usual but rather 1d10 x 10 copper.

Wily
At 15th level Idols may use Wit to cast up to 5th level spells.

Godly Cunning
At 18th level an Idol may use Wit to cast up to 6th level spells

Going Platinum
By 20th level, whenever an Idol performs, they earn nothing less than 100 times their pay. So for instance if an Idol manages a 10 for a perform check, they wouldn’t earn the typical 1d10 copper as usual but rather 1d10 x 100 copper pieces.

Solid Idol
By 20th level Idols are immune to Fear and Charm Effects and they now confer a + 5 bonus to fear and charm effects to their allies and friends within 5ft per Idol level.

0 Level Spells 1 point
Lullaby
Ghost Sound
Dancing Lights
Daze
Read Magic
Detect Magic

1st Level 4 points
Cause Fear
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Disguise Self
Erase
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Hypnotism
Identify
Lesser Confusion
Remove Fear
Silent Image
Sleep
Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
Undetectable Alignment
Ventriloquism

2nd Level Spells 6 Points
Alter Self
Blindness/Deafness
Blur
Calm Emotions
Cat’s Grace
Darkness
Daylight
Daze Monster
Detect Thoughts
Eagle’s Splendor
Enthrall
Heroism
Hold Person
Hypnotic Pattern
Invisibility
Locate Object
Minor Image
Mirror Image
Misdirection
Scare
Silence
Suggestion
Tongues
Whispering Wind

3rd Level Spells 10 points
Charm Monster
Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
Crushing Despair
Confusion
Deep Slumber
Dispel Magic
Displacement
Fear
Lesser Geas
Glibness
Good Hope
Haste
Illusory Script
Invisibility Sphere
Major Image
Rage
Scrying
Secret Page
See Invisibility
Slow

4th Level Spells 12 points
Break Enchantment
Detect Scrying
Dominate Person
Freedom of Movement
Hallucinatory Terrain
Hold Monster
Invisibility, Greater
Legend Lore
Locate Creature
Modify Memory
Rainbow Pattern
Zone of Silence

5th Level Spells 16 points
Dispel Magic, Greater
Dream
False Vision
Greater Heroism
Mass Suggestion
Mind Fog
Mirage Arcana
Mislead
Nightmare
Persistent Image
Seeming
Song of Discord

6th Level Spells 20 points
Analyze Dweomer
Cats’ Grace Mass
Charm Monster Mass
Eagle’s Splendor, Mass
Eyebite
Find the Path
Fox’s Cunning, Mass
Geas/Quest
Otto’s Irresistable Dance
Permanent Image
Programmed Image
Project Image
Scrying Greater
Veil

JackMage666
2007-10-01, 09:06 PM
The Wit ability seems like it could be problematic. At 20th level, for a spells, the save DC turns into 23+Cha (Probably somewhere around 30).

Same thing I think about Material Components and Foci, they should be present in some form, though I believe the Bard is much less dependent on them than Sorcs/Wizards.

Justdamohr
2007-10-01, 09:27 PM
The Wit ability seems like it could be problematic. At 20th level, for a spells, the save DC turns into 23+Cha (Probably somewhere around 30).

Same thing I think about Material Components and Foci, they should be present in some form, though I believe the Bard is much less dependent on them than Sorcs/Wizards.

The Wit ability can be adjusted so it relies solely on the Idol's level and Charisma rather than their skill ranks. So it should be around 25 and about it being around 30, not so likely unless you're dealing with races such as Aasimar, or Half-Celestials that boost your Charisma to the multi-dimesnions but still 25 should be sufficient enough. Thanks.

About the material components, I figured since they're using their skills and gestures and some form of focus when they're performing, i.e. lute, or what not, it can pass without Material Components and Foci, especially since I butchered their spell list and removed a lot of the shadow conjuration spells and healing spells, both of which can be useful but didn't make sense why Idols would know them. Since their Tricks are more innate, I think it can survive without it and they're also limited in the amount of spells they know too, so its balanced in that sense.

Now that I think of it, I'll restrict it that ability to Illusions and Enchantments. I'll try that. Lets see how that works. But thanks.

JackMage666
2007-10-01, 09:33 PM
The ability as it was could've easily surpassed 30 at 20th level - You just need to get Cha high.

18 Cha base, +6 Cloak of Charisma, +5 from levels, +5 Tome. That's 34 easy, which gives +12 Cha bonus (I've seen people do this alot better, this is just a quick settup), Setting the DC to... 35.

Justdamohr
2007-10-01, 09:43 PM
The ability as it was could've easily surpassed 30 at 20th level - You just need to get Cha high.

18 Cha base, +6 Cloak of Charisma, +5 from levels, +5 Tome. That's 34 easy, which gives +12 Cha bonus (I've seen people do this alot better, this is just a quick settup), Setting the DC to... 35.

ACTUALLY, I completely forgot about MAGICAL ITEM BOOSTS. LOLOLOL. Omgod, durr! You're right, I'm thinking oh no, they can only have a racial bonus. :smalltongue: But THANK YOU FOR THAT SAVE!!!!!!!!!!:smallbiggrin:

Alex12
2007-10-01, 09:46 PM
so, the Idol's Tricks are more like psionic powers than Sorcerer/Wizard spells? I like it.