PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic Items

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-09, 03:41 PM
I pretty much removed feats from my game, and reintroduced them as magic items. I also introduced some item crafting rules, and wanted to give my characters some fun new toys to work with. I've excluding all other magic items, and might give some of the more powerful feats as Very Rare items or end-of-adventure rewards later on.

I still control the suppply; to craft a magic item you need a rare ingredient, which usually involves high CR creatures and some general monster-hunting.

Common and uncommon items in my game mostly come in the form of Consumables, so these are meant as the next step up.

My goal is to have most of these items around the same powerlevel, at least within each group.

No need to assume power gaming or multiclass Shenanigans, I just don't want any "autopick" items (there's a reason war caster, lucky, sentinel, pole arm master and mage Slayer were converted into higher rarity items).

Can you read over these (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jvJs_lcoQfSr9VgLKgdBlSBzvChmMeddJVTT7mcvj90/edit?usp=drivesdk) and tell me which ones are the most powerful ones, so I can knock them down a peg to keep them balanced, relative to each other.

Also, if there are any effects that seem redundant, or any effects that are clearly missing, please let me know.

My group is two Warlocks, a GW fighter and a rogue, so these items are mainly focused for these classes. I'll add monk, druid and shield stuff later on.

Great Dragon
2019-04-09, 06:40 PM
I suppose it depends on how your treating some feat-as-items.

Say, Great Weapon Master longsword.
Does it require Attunement?

Uncommon item?
With +1 being Rare, +2 as Very Rare, and +3 being Legendary?

Kane0
2019-04-09, 06:55 PM
Hmm lets see.

Greater Heavy Armor, Blessed Weapon, Focus of Multiple Elements and Amulet of Caretaker/Inspiration definitely seem like a cut above the rest, but there's room to split a lot of these into common/uncommon/rare/very rare if you're using that as a measure of power.

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-10, 06:03 AM
Yes, these are all attunement items, at least for now.
I simplified the rarity situation by making it Tier based. For the first three levels you'll find almost exclusively Consumables. After level 3 these items start popping up, no more than one item per character per Level. This gives my plenty of stuff to work with for the first 8 levels or so.

Remember that these items replace feats. I'm also trying to group the effects in such a way to limit effect stacking. This is a useful tool when balancing. If a Amulet and a Armor work too well together, I can just change the Amulet into an Armor, and now a player can only benefit from one of the effects.

Greater Heavy Armor
This is limited to heavy armor. Can I maybe change the value?

Blessed Weapon
I'm tempted to keep this. Maybe I'll just remove it and introduce it as a consumable instead.

Focus of Multiple Elements
I'll have this charge on short rests, so it's less likely to be spammed with cantrips.

Amulet of Caretaker
This enables a specific playstyle, and it costs an action, so I'm tempted to keep it. Maybe change it into an armor, to reduce effect stacking?

Amulet of Inspiration
This effect is also a playstyle enabler. Can I maybe change the value? Or change it into a armor?

I'm going to move some things around, get some of the major effects into armors and move the minor effects somewhere else. Now all the major and feat-like effects are on the armors, focuses (foci?) and weapons. Amulets are reserved for minor effects.