PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Tunnel Fighter & Sneak Attack?

Citadel97501
2019-04-09, 04:39 PM
I was just wondering if I was missing anything, but it seems that Tunnel Fighter would let you trigger sneak attack on every opportunity attack as each one is on a separate turn? I understand your going to need some way to trigger the sneak attack requirements but it seems doable?

PS: Yes, I understand that many won't allow Tunnel Fighter in as it is considered an OP UA feat, which is why it wan't printed in any book as of yet.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 05:05 PM
Yes, that's correct.

The concern here is that enemies still have to PROVOKE Opportunity Attacks in order to reap that benefit. While you have something like Polearm Master, it's incredibly easy, but it's much harder to abuse with anyone else, especially as a Rogue.

The only solution I can think of is using a Whip and Mage Slayer, waiting for enemies within your reach to cast a spell, but that's highly unreliable, and even then requires an ally to be adjacent to your target, for you to have Advantage on your attack, or for you to be a Swashbuckler with no other enemies adjacent to you.

Overall, your chances of this working are very slim.

Lupine
2019-04-09, 05:19 PM
I don't know the specifics of Tunnel fighter, but if it gives you advantage, you get sneak attack. If it doesn't give advantage, you don't get sneak attack.
you must be using a finesse or ranged weapon.
if you have an ally who is not incapacitated within five feet of the enemy, you get sneak attack, if you don't have disadvantage
Only one sneak attack per turn.

Its very open and shut. You fit those conditions, you get the extra damage. but only once per turn. Opportunity attacks each happen on a new turn.

HOWEVER

Opportunity attacks require a reaction, so you can at most get two attacks with sneak attack, per round.
One on a normal attack, and one with a reaction

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 05:39 PM
I don't know the specifics of Tunnel fighter, but if it gives you advantage, you get sneak attack. If it doesn't give advantage, you don't get sneak attack.
you must be using a finesse or ranged weapon.
if you have an ally who is not incapacitated within five feet of the enemy, you get sneak attack, if you don't have disadvantage
Only one sneak attack per turn.

Its very open and shut. You fit those conditions, you get the extra damage. but only once per turn. Opportunity attacks each happen on a new turn.

HOWEVER

Opportunity attacks require a reaction, so you can at most get two attacks with sneak attack, per round.
One on a normal attack, and one with a reaction

Tunnel Fighter lets you spend your Bonus Action to have Opportunity Attacks not use your Reaction. So you can have as many Opportunity Attacks that you're eligible to make.

Galithar
2019-04-09, 05:45 PM
Sentinel? Doesn't that allow you to make AoO if the enemy attacks an ally while in your reach? Stand behind an ally with a whip, even they get attacked you get to sneak attack whip their attacker. The fact that they are within 5 ft of your ally in order to trigger Sentinel means you qualify for sneak attack unless you have Disadvantage.

Best way I can think to do it.

Edit: If your DM allows Tunnel Fighter now, I feel like they won't after if you manage to pull this off consistently though :P

Lunali
2019-04-09, 05:50 PM
Yes, that's correct.

The concern here is that enemies still have to PROVOKE Opportunity Attacks in order to reap that benefit. While you have something like Polearm Master, it's incredibly easy, but it's much harder to abuse with anyone else, especially as a Rogue.

The only solution I can think of is using a Whip and Mage Slayer, waiting for enemies within your reach to cast a spell, but that's highly unreliable, and even then requires an ally to be adjacent to your target, for you to have Advantage on your attack, or for you to be a Swashbuckler with no other enemies adjacent to you.

Overall, your chances of this working are very slim.

Polearm master, quarterstaff off hand, rapier main hand, get an OA that you can take with the rapier whenever someone moves into your reach.

Lupine
2019-04-09, 05:56 PM
Tunnel Fighter lets you spend your Bonus Action to have Opportunity Attacks not use your Reaction. So you can have as many Opportunity Attacks that you're eligible to make.

Absolutely, the rules would allow that then.
I would also immediately ban that at my table (As it is, I tend to require it to be printed to be balanced enough to play).
Good to know.

As I said, not familiar with and of the UA stuff, since I don't actively use it.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-09, 06:08 PM
Polearm master, quarterstaff off hand, rapier main hand, get an OA that you can take with the rapier whenever someone moves into your reach.

This is also assuming:

Your DM is fine with you using Tunnel Fighter.
Your DM allows you to use Polearm Master's trigger without using the required weapon for the attack itself.
The attack is still eligible for Sneak Attack (and relying on Swashbuckler means you can only make this work against one enemy, which ruins the point of Tunnel Fighter)
You have Tunnel Fighter from some eligible source.

Lunali
2019-04-09, 07:16 PM
This is also assuming:

Your DM is fine with you using Tunnel Fighter.
Your DM allows you to use Polearm Master's trigger without using the required weapon for the attack itself.
The attack is still eligible for Sneak Attack (and relying on Swashbuckler means you can only make this work against one enemy, which ruins the point of Tunnel Fighter)
You have Tunnel Fighter from some eligible source.

1. The thread is about tunnel fighter + sneak attack, so that's assumed
2. If your DM is letting you use tunnel fighter, I would be surprised if they reduced PAM from RAW
3. Yea, I would suggest a different source of sneak attack than swashbuckler, either nearby friends or greater invisibility would be my preference
4. See #1