PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Subclass - The Fencer (Onehanded fighter)

Eichhrnchen
2019-04-09, 04:53 PM
Hello folks, i want to present to you a subclass for the fighter i tried to homebrew. The idea behind it was to make the onehanded fighting style viable (thats why the lvl 3 features are relativly plenty) and to create a subclass that uses that onehanded style. However, im not sure if i over or underestimated some abilities and wanted to ask you guys what you think about it. If you have any other fun idea for this, im very glad for any creative input. I tried to keep the abilities easy to use and straight-forward.

Anyways, here is "the Fencer"

This abilities are only active while using a onehanded meleeweapon and neither a second weapon nor shield

Lvl 3 Duelqualities: If the fencer is chosen, the fighter gains proficiency in one of the following skills: Deception, Acrobatics, Insight, Intimidation or Performance.

Lvl 3 Flick-Hit: If the fighter hits with an attack, he can use a bonus action to make an additional offhand-attack with his main weapon. (so no attribut-mod to the dmg)

Lvl 3 Parry-Stance: Using a bonus action, the fighter gains +2 AC for one round.

Lvl 3 Riposte: If a melee-attack misses the fighter, he can use his reaction to perform an opportunity attack against that enemy.

Lvl 7 Combat proven: The fighter gains proficiency in DEX-saving throws. Additionally, she can get advantage on any skill check that is used in combat a number of times equal to her DEX- or STR-modifier. She regains this uses after a long rest.

Lvl 10 Unexpected lunge: If the fighter has moved at least 10 ft. before attacking a foe, she gets advantage against that foe for that round. Unexpected lunge works only once against each enemy.

Lvl 15 Flawless Aim: Has the fighter advantage on an attack and both attack rolls would hit, the hit is automatically critical.

Lvl 18 Lethal Technique: After hitting 3 attacks against the same target in one round, the next attack within this round deals the fighters level as bonus damage.

Oh and as this is my first post, i wanted to greet all of you :)

Maybe one clarification to "Combat proven": the advantage on the skillcheck is meant to show that the fencer is especially good at extraordinary combat actions such as feinting (which would need a bluff check) or special movements that might require skill checks. I used a very general definition for that ability because the possible actions in combat change from DM to DM and game to game.

JNAProductions
2019-04-09, 05:52 PM
It's overloaded at level 3.

And Riposte makes this ripe for Rogue synergies, as does Flick-Hit.

Combat Proven looks fine.

Unexpected Lunge is worded poorly, finicky, and not especially good. I'd replace with something else.

Flawless Aim is POWERFUL... But it's also a level 15 feature. While 5 levels of Rogue or Paladin would go well with this, I don't think it'd be TOO powerful. It gets the JNAP Seal of "Probably Okay"! :P

Lethal Technique is, in a word, bad. In two, not good.

So, what I'd do is parse out the level 3 features over levels 10 and 18. Keep Duelqualities and Parry Stance, but move Riposte and Flick Hit to later.

Eichhrnchen
2019-04-11, 06:42 AM
The subclass is overloaded at lvl 3 by design. Its to push the onehanded fighting style to the same level as sword-and-board or dual wielding through either the choice to get +2 AC or get an additional off-hand attack (which can only be used if a original attack hits, in contrast to real dual wielding). The "real" classfeatures at lvl 3 are riposte and the additional proficiency. If i would take riposte and flick-hit away from this level all that would be left is a +2 AC bonus as a bonus action, which the fighter could just as well achieve by using a shield and thus making this first feature of the subclass completly useless.

Unexpected Lunge might be tame on its own, however when flawless aim comes around it should it make for a strong synergy. I would not mind changing it though, however im kinda uncertain what kind of powerlevel a lvl 10 ability should have in your opinion. Getting once advantage for one round against each individual enemy seems pretty okay to me. What do you think about this ability:

Consecutive Hits: The fighter deals +1 Damage with his attack and an additional +1 for each attack he hit before. So the first hit deals +1, the second +2, etc. Max. Bonus would be +4.

Im kinda at a loss of what to do with lethal technique or as capstone for this subclass in general. Im personally also not very happy with this ability and would be very grateful for any ideas for another capstone. What do you think about this ability:

Duelist third breath: The fighter gains 5 (or KO-Mod) temporary hitpoints for one round at the end of her turn for every hit she made on her turn.

With this ability the fighter can soak up some damage as long as she keeps hitting and greatly helps with the surviveability at this high level.

Another possible ability would be Avalanche:

Avalanche: If the fighter has advantage he can chose to use an Avalanche instead of a normal attack-action. The fighter forgoes the advantage but keeps attacking until he misses an attack. The fighter can only use Avalanche twice per short rest.

Amnoriath
2019-04-11, 01:12 PM
The subclass is overloaded at lvl 3 by design. Its to push the onehanded fighting style to the same level as sword-and-board or dual wielding through either the choice to get +2 AC or get an additional off-hand attack (which can only be used if a original attack hits, in contrast to real dual wielding). The "real" classfeatures at lvl 3 are riposte and the additional proficiency. If i would take riposte and flick-hit away from this level all that would be left is a +2 AC bonus as a bonus action, which the fighter could just as well achieve by using a shield and thus making this first feature of the subclass completly useless.

This is dangerous logic, while wording may be poor for the Duelist fighting style ultimately you are giving the power of a really good feat without having to exchange for one. You are also robbing what little dignity two weapon fighting has by giving them an off hand attack. Other styles don't have this support in one area as such they need to be spread out.

Eichhrnchen
2019-04-11, 03:32 PM
This is dangerous logic, while wording may be poor for the Duelist fighting style ultimately you are giving the power of a really good feat without having to exchange for one. You are also robbing what little dignity two weapon fighting has by giving them an off hand attack. Other styles don't have this support in one area as such they need to be spread out.

I mean no offense, but can you rephrase that it again? I dont understand your argument i think.

With flick-hit and parry-stance i tried to emulate two established fighting styles (dual wield and shield-wielding), which the onehanded fighter can change between at the cost of a bonus action. Neither of this options should make him more powerful than his competitors, as such it should be alright.

Maat Mons
2019-04-11, 06:42 PM
You may want to explicitly state that these "off hand" attacks are made with the weapon in the fighter's main hand.

A one-handed fighter is dealing 2.5 less damage on average than a two-handed fighter (1d8 versus 2d6). And he's got 2 less AC than a sword-and-shield fighter. Why not give him half the benefit of a bigger sword, and half the benefit of a shield. That is, give him +1 AC and +1 damage.

I tend to associate fencing with finesse weapons and light armor/no armor. But everything you wrote seems to work equally well for a mounted fighter in full-plate wielding a lance. I'm not sure if you view that as a problem.

Amnoriath
2019-04-12, 10:01 AM
I mean no offense, but can you rephrase that it again? I dont understand your argument i think.

With flick-hit and parry-stance i tried to emulate two established fighting styles (dual wield and shield-wielding), which the onehanded fighter can change between at the cost of a bonus action. Neither of this options should make him more powerful than his competitors, as such it should be alright.
And that is why you are doing too much. As a different fighting style you shouldn't make your introduction level about making this like two other styles and then go with what a Einhander is good at.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-12, 06:12 PM
Why not add an option for a one-handed fighting style? That'll take some of the pressure off level 3.

Also going to second not granting the bonus action attack. TWF's thing is extra attacks, sword-and-board is defense, GWF is damage. Your one-handed style should have its own niche.