PDA

View Full Version : Vera - The Shroud of Barrow - IC I

The Kool
2019-04-09, 05:54 PM
A lightness filtered in through the shattered window. Finally, day was here. The Shroud was thinner today, and the location of the sun could actually be seen as a slightly brighter spot in the clouds, but it provided little light. A chill breeze blew across the desert, disturbing sand and skin alike with it's passage. The shelter that the traveling pair had been using for the past few days was bare, but solid, comprised of a sandy floor that refused to stay swept clean, two walls of a building, and the floor of the room above fallen at an angle. It provided a good hideout from the orc bands that had grown in popularity of late, though at least they kept the worse options at bay. Scavengers of races hitherto only whispered in boogeyman stories, hunters looking for any sort of prey, even some sort of sand golem seem plodding on the horizon from time to time made this place feel warm and safe in comparison. The orcs were on another run today. Rusk had been sent out ahead as a scout, but she was expected back within the hour to report on any motion, before the band descended on the ruins to look for food and lost artifacts. With the steep decline of trade from Nightvale and the orchards of Dragonsborough, famine had settled like a hard stone in the stomachs of the entire city. The orcs weren't the only ones out looking for valuables, however. Gil'thar may have had enough to eat, but there was still plenty left to find in these old haunts, if one was willing to risk the locals.

The OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?584810-Vera-The-Shroud-of-Barrow-OOC)

So here we are. As we enter, the assumption is that Lissa and Koryver have been here some time. Rusk and Gil'thar have been here before on their own, and may or may not have met you two but haven't met each other. Plot isn't going to start up right away, but if we keep things moving along it shouldn't take too long before you guys have things to look into. Maybe get a couple levels under your belts first.

Hamish
2019-04-09, 08:42 PM
Gil'thar will be searching the ruins for anything valuable and any way to increase his knowledge of the world. He will also be attempting to draw a map of the ruins, though his drawing abilities leave much to be desired.

infomatic
2019-04-09, 09:35 PM
The going had been slower so far than Rusk had hoped; scouts had been overlate in returning from their sorties and a fight had broken out over some minor baubles that someone had tripped over, half-hidden in the sands.

They weren't yet behind schedule, but Rusk had wanted more time to explore the ruins on her own before Molok and the others got there. She'd scouted the place, briefly, with the Turnfeather's summoned birds the last time they were out this way but hadn't had the opportunity for a close look before now.

Binding Check for Aym

Irritated at the time lost — and perhaps the influence of the wise Queen Aym, who filled Rusk's head with visions of buried treasure — she halted Ollu the mule at the edge of town where he'd be able to run if there was trouble. She'd have to work quickly to find anything valuable and hide it again before she was due back.

The Kool
2019-04-10, 12:31 AM
Gil'thar, Rusk, as the two of you turn corners, you come into sight of each other. The distance between you is fairly long, but Gil'thar can clearly be seen with writing implements in hand looking in the remains of a half-buried collapsed building, and Rusk was headed for the same building in hopes of finding something worthwhile. Lissa, Koryver, you hear motion outside your building.

infomatic
2019-04-10, 01:52 PM
Makes sense there'd be vultures here, she thinks.

Rusks waves her arms at the Raptoran. "Shoo!" she cries in common. "Take off, if you know what's good for you. This place isn't safe."

She wasn't sure how bird-like these creatures were, but if it was anything like the crows her mother spoke to it probably wouldn't listen. Worth trying, though.

The Kool
2019-04-10, 02:16 PM
Rusk, Listen: [roll0]
Rusk, Spot: [roll1]
Gil'thar, Listen: [roll2]
Gil'Thar, Spot: [roll3]

The Kool
2019-04-10, 02:19 PM
Rusk, as you try to shoo away Gil'thar, you catch sight of motion in the building across the street from the raptoran (about 80ft from you). The sand is shifting.

Gil'thar, you hear the rustling of the sand about 20ft away, and follow the sound and Rusk's glance to the side to see the moving sand yourself.

Lissa, Koryver, you can hear their low voices outside your hideout.

Hamish
2019-04-10, 07:08 PM
Gil'thar looks for somewhere to jump to that is above the sand, a low roof, the remains of a building, etc. Once he is on top of something he will draw his crossbow and aim it at the moving sand.

To the approaching Half-Orc, "I am well aware that this place is not safe, if it was safe it would not be worth exploring. However, I think one of the reasons it is not safe is approaching, so let us postpone this conversation."

Nap Captain
2019-04-11, 02:16 AM
"... and that once more I may hear your words and know you are returned to us." Lissa finished her morning prayer, whilst she prepared for the day ahead. They had been in these ruins for some time, and Lissa was grateful for a sense of safety, though she knew that it was only passing: the orcs would be here soon and she'd need to move on.

She made sure that her belongings, meagre as they were, were ready in case she needed to run and checked Koryver was the same, though having travelled together for the last few years, she knew already knew the state her companion's gear would be in.

As she made her preparations, she heard a faint noise outside and froze, her hands immediately taking on a stance to strike or cast as the need allowed, whilst she waited for the noise to resolve itself. Soon she heard words breaking through the murmur and was alarmed to hear one of them warn of danger: looked like their hideout was compromised already!

Silently thanking Bralm for granting her preparedness she gathered her equipment up and whispered to Koryver: "There are creatures outside: we may need to fight or run."

infomatic
2019-04-11, 03:23 PM
Ignoring the rebuttal, Rusk narrows her eyes and peers at the disturbance in the sand, but it's too far away.

No reason to chance things, she thinks. Tongues of flame spring to life along her arms and shoulders.

[roll0] Know (nature)

Activate Halo of Flame

The Kool
2019-04-11, 10:55 PM
Gil'thar leaps to safety atop the nearby slab that has fallen sideways. While easily accessible from the ground, it does not lie on the sand itself, so the Raptoran hopes for a safer vantage point. The sand finally parts, revealing a very large scorpion-like creature snapping at the heels of Gil'thar, who is just out of reach for the moment (15 feet away, with elevation). Rusk trusts to her distance to provide her cover at the moment (80 feet away), but that thing looks fast and might be able to cover the distance between them quickly. She is unable to identify exactly what it is, however. Inside the building, Lissa and Koryver can now hear the louder noises of a fight starting, and can see the creature through the opening (25 feet away, with cover).

Creature - [roll0]
Rusk - [roll1]
Gil'thar - [roll2]
Lissa - [roll3]
Koryver - [roll4] - will be skipped until they begin posting.

Order is thus Koryver, Lissa, Gil'thar, Rusk, and finally the creature (I'll let you go first so I can sum up the round).

Nap Captain
2019-04-12, 02:07 AM
"By the Mother!" Lissa muttered when the creature surfaced. Koryver and herself had faced their fair share of monsters over the last few years, but she had always thought the most prudent plan was non-confrontation. Yet now this creature was very close and it seemed unlikely it was just going to pass by their hut...

She steeled herself for the fight, waiting for her moment to strike.

Excitingly, Lissa is going to use her first turn to Delay to initiative 7, so that she goes after her comrades and the scorpion.

When it is her go, she will:
Swift Action: Activate Island of Blades so that she always flanks with allies if they are both adjacent to an enemy
Move Action: Approach the scorpion, hopefully from behind
Standard Action: Sapphire nightmare blade (http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/sapphire-nightmare-blade) [roll0] if it beats creature's AC, then it is flatfooted and she deals an extra [roll1] damage, otherwise -2 to attack roll.
Attack roll: [roll2] Damage [roll3]

The Kool
2019-04-12, 11:04 AM
This just in:

I'm going to shoot the scorpion and reload my crossbow, but I can't get to the comp for a while.

Rusk, you're up.

infomatic
2019-04-12, 12:37 PM
Today was going sideways in a hurry, and Rusk wondered whether it would have been better to have just let Molok have the run of this place. She wouldn't have minded seeing him with that thing's pincers clamped around his throat.

Still, it's here now, and even if she could outrun it — no sure thing, there — her mule couldn't. Even as she seeks a safer vantage point, she swings her bow from her shoulder and yanks an arrow from the quiver, muttering to herself as she lets it fly.

Move action: Draw weapon, move behind cover (if there is any helpful rubble) to block charge.

Action: [roll0] shortbow for [roll1]
Crit check if needed [roll2], [roll3]

The Kool
2019-04-12, 12:58 PM
Gil'thar's crossbow: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage

The Kool
2019-04-12, 01:06 PM
Oops, that wasn't all the rolls. Let's get the others here, then describe.

The scorpion-like creature scuttles up onto the slab, following Gil'thar and moving fast. The raptoran's crossbow hit with a solid thunk, but the half-orc's arrow plinked off the bony plating. With some kind of hiss and a clack, the creature swung one of it's overly large claws at Gil'thar.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
1-[roll3]

The Kool
2019-04-12, 01:10 PM
Well this is awkward. Forgot some of the rolls. And it continues...
The claw hits Gil'thar right in the midsection, the armor providing little benefit (17 damage).

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

The claw has grasped firmly, and while Gil'thar is still able to move somewhat, they are firmly held in place (grappled). The claw clamps down tighter, and it crushes something internally (10 more damage). Lissa leaps out from under the slab, her focus perfection, but her blade does nothing but mar the surface of the outer shell.

Oof, our scout is already at 0. Time for some help it seems. I can see why you avoid melee... Back to Gil'thar, unless Koryver appears.

Also, I'm going to have to get in the habit of planning out all my dice rolls that might be needed, including crit confirms. I'd rather not spam the thread like this lol.

Hamish
2019-04-13, 02:09 PM
Gil'thar acts as if he is unconscious, falling limp and not struggling.

Bluff: [roll0]

infomatic
2019-04-13, 10:37 PM
Rusk shakes her head as the bird-man stops moving. I did warn him, though, she thinks. But now another stranger has arrived; perhaps to loot the Raptoran's body?

Figure that out later; she didn't want to turn her back on this thing. Closing the gap, she lets another arrow fly.

[roll1] bow for [roll2]
[roll1d20+1 crit check for [roll3]

Nap Captain
2019-04-14, 03:58 AM
As Lissa watched the creature's claw crush the raptoran in one blow, she knew she would need to end this fast. Luckily, I prepared just the thing... Sweeping her hands out to the side she felt them blaze with energy as they were coated in fire, and then she slammed both simultaneously into the creature's carapace.

Swift: Burning Blade (all her melee attacks deal +1d6 damage for this round)
Standard: Wolf Fang Strike; do two attacks at -2 to hit.
[roll0] damage [roll1] + [roll2] Fire damage
[roll3] damage [roll4] + [roll5] Fire damage

The Kool
2019-04-14, 04:42 PM
Well Lissa is supposed to be going after the creature, but I'll give you that one because I'm being slow and don't want to hold things up. I'll consider Gil'thar as 'adjacent' to the creature so you get your flanking bonus and both attacks hit. He doesn't have to move so he gets a full attack, but tossing the raptoran aside takes the place of one of them. Gil'thar, you take enough nonlethal damage from the impact (meaning, any) to knock you unconscious. You are still stable at 0hp though.

Rusk's arrow bounces off the armor once again, but the two strikes from Lissa land true. The creature flings Gil'thar to the side where he impacts a wall and falls to the floor, out cold but still alive. Turning his attention on the one who just dealt him a pile of hurt, the creature swings with his other claw and attempts to bite and sting at the same time.

Claw: [roll0], [roll1], crit confirm [roll2], [roll3]
Bite: [roll4], [roll5], crit confirm [roll6], [roll7]
Sting: [roll8], [roll9], crit confirm [roll10], [roll11], poison [roll12], [roll13]
Grapple: [roll14], vs. [roll15], constrict [roll16]

Only the claw hit (9 damage) but it gripped tightly (grappled), squeezing as hard as it could (11 damage).

Hmmm. I may have underestimated the capabilities of this creature. Suffice to say you'll be rewarded handsomely if you defeat this yourselves.

The Kool
2019-04-14, 04:48 PM
Koryver finally catches up with what's going down and lends a hand, a sparkling ray or magic springing forth from an outstretched finger.

[roll0] vs touch, [roll1] str damage

I figured you guys needed a hand. I suppose Rusk is next.

infomatic
2019-04-14, 07:51 PM
I forgot to specify distance, but my comment in my previous post about "closing the gap was meant to indicate that Rusk was moving 40' toward the scorpion. That should put her at 40' away now, enough for a draw melee weapon/move and attack.

Despite her better judgment, Rusk finds herself getting caught up in the moment. And this thing would make a good trophy.

"Ang gijak!" she cheered, dropping the pointless bow and unslinging a long-hafted scythe from her shoulder. Molok would sooner put out both his eyes than see her carry a spear, which was fine with her; she'd been practicing with this thing in the field since she was little, imagining the hops were Molok's neck.

She gains speed as she barrels toward the scorpion, swinging the blade once low, then making a great circle before stabbing at the creature again.

[roll0]attack, [roll1] damage
crit check: [roll2]attack, [roll3] damage

[roll4]attack, [roll5] damage
crit check: [roll6]attack, [roll7] damage

Half-orc (Desert) Barbarian 1 // Binder 1 [Raging]
Str 20, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 14

HP 42 / 42
AC 17, T 13, FF 16
Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +2
Resist fire 10, 1d6 fire damage to successful attacker (Aym)

Scythe: +6 to hit, 2d4+7 damage, 20/x4 crit (while raging)
extra attack at -2

Shortbow: +2 to hit, 1d6 damage, 20/x3 crit
Tactics w/Aym: Sunder stuff (improved sunder, double dmg. to object)

Bind 1 vestige, max level 2 (Currently Aym)
Skills: Diplomacy +5, Handle Animal +3, Intimidate +6, Know (Nature) +4, Know (Planes) +2, Survival +4, Spot +2, Listen +0

The Kool
2019-04-14, 08:12 PM
Shouldn't you be rolling 6d4 as your crit damage dice?

After Koryver's spell landed, Rusk leaps in from the distance and slices with the scythe - a miss low, a solid hit following. The scorpion-like creature reaches out with the unoccupied claw at the newly arrived combatant, attempting to intercept the attack. Next it slices again, claw-mandibles-stinger, trying to tackle this new threat. It appears to be struggling, but not as much as Lissa who ineffectually beats against the carapace while the claw squeezes tighter.

AoO Claw: , [roll1], crit confirm [roll2], [roll3]
Lissa's constrict: [roll4]
Claw: [roll5], [roll6], crit confirm [roll7], [roll8]
Bite: [roll9], [roll10], crit confirm [roll11], [roll12]
Sting: [roll13], [roll14], crit confirm [roll15], [roll16], poison [roll]1d20+??,
Grapple (if claw hits): [roll18], vs. [roll]1d20+??, constrict [roll19]

The Kool
2019-04-14, 08:16 PM
Fortitude: [roll0]
Grapple: [roll1]
Your sheet inaccurately shows a BAB of +0, by the way...

The intercepting claw misses, but the follow-up hits(13 damage). It grips tightly(grappled), squeezing painfully(7 damage). The stinger lands the follow-up hit(4 damage, 2 con damage).

You are both grappled, technically, but you may still use your weapons as your arms are still free. Lissa can change her turn in light of that if she likes, other than that it's Rusk again. You are both considered flanking thanks to Lissa's stance (I'll give you that one today). The beast looks pretty hurt... Technically Koryver is next but his turn will be the exact same unless he shows up. Gil'thar is still out of the picture for the moment.

infomatic
2019-04-14, 08:31 PM
Rusk bares her pointed teeth and sneers through the pain as beast grasps her. "Hope you like the heat," she growls, as the flames surrounding her spread to the scorpion's carapace.

Thanks on BAB; that's fixed. [roll0] fire damage to Scorpion from Aym Halo of Fire

The Kool
2019-04-14, 08:59 PM
Actually, thanks for pointing that out, the wording seems to imply that every attack subjects it to more damage. It hit you twice. Here's a second.

[roll0]

The fire appears to have severely injured the creature. It's still your turn.

infomatic
2019-04-14, 09:13 PM
Rusk knows this thing is probably mindless, but she tries to meet its eyes regardless, her stare promising I'll drag you to hell with my teeth if I have to. But she can't decide which sets of eyes to meet, so shifts her grip on the scythe and chops at its carapace again.

[roll0] attack for [roll1] (I was 1 off on damage boost earlier; 1.5xBoosted Str bonus is 7, not 6. Includes flanking bonus)
crit check: [roll2] attack for [roll3]

[roll4] attack for [roll5]
crit check: [roll6] attack for [roll7]

Half-orc (Desert) Barbarian 1 // Binder 1 [Raging]
Str 20, Dex 16, Con 1412, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 14
2 con damage

HP 17 / 42
AC 17, T 13, FF 16
Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +2
Resist fire 10, 1d6 fire damage to successful attacker (Aym)

Scythe: +6 to hit, 2d4+7 damage, 20/x4 crit (while raging)
extra attack at -2

Shortbow: +2 to hit, 1d6 damage, 20/x3 crit
Tactics w/Aym: Sunder stuff (improved sunder, double dmg. to object)

Bind 1 vestige, max level 2 (Currently Aym)
Skills: Diplomacy +5, Handle Animal +3, Intimidate +6, Know (Nature) +4, Know (Planes) +2, Survival +4, Spot +2, Listen +0

The Kool
2019-04-14, 09:21 PM
With that final slice, the grip on the two warriors lightened, and the creature slumped to the ground.

And it's dead. Gil'thar is 0hp and unconscious, Lissa is 2hp, Rusk is 17hp.

Nap Captain
2019-04-15, 01:46 AM
Dropping from the creature's grasp, Lissa lay in the dirt for a few seconds until her brain kicked in and she stumbled to her feet. One of the orc breeds she thought, and from the way she was eyeing the carcass, this creature may well be here for anything it could loot. Careful to keep her unlikely rescuer in view, Lissa stepped towards the raptoran to check it was still alive.

"By the grace of Bralm..." she muttered as she felt a pulse. "I'm going to heal him now." She had no idea what the orcs would think of her healing a raptoran, but over the last few years she had learned to tread lightly.

Ignoring the pain of her own wounds, she reached for that spark of magic inside her that let her channel Bralm's will. She found the shapes and patterns of the spells she had prepared not long ago, but knew she needed something else. Smashing one aside she reached for the pure magic Bralm offered and poured it into the broken bird.

"Let him be healed so that he may add to your industry."

[roll0]

Ellowryn
2019-04-15, 07:56 AM
Well that didn't go as planned The halfling thinks to himself as he surveys to carnage outside. The nights had been mostly sleepless, what with the need for caution against threats both outside and near, and Koryver had always been a late riser.

Quickly inside! He shouts to the group, The scent of blood will attract other things looking for a meal! He scans the area looking for potential threats as he waves the group indoors.

Spot Check [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]

infomatic
2019-04-15, 02:26 PM
Rusk casts a suspicious eye in the halfling's direction but says nothing for the moment as she turns her attention back to the scorpion, continuing to hack at the claw until she can get a big enough piece off for a trophy.

She looks down, gingerly, at her injuries. Her leg and abdomen were badly bruised and bleeding; there'd be no covering this up to Molok and the others. "Report any motion and return," they'd said. It'd be obvious that she'd gone against that order, and then there would be the questions of why. She needed to think …

Hamish
2019-04-15, 02:31 PM
Thank you mi'lady for the healing then slightly louder, and thank all of you for the assistance with that scorpion. This place is apparently even more dangerous than I thought it was. I had only heard about scorpions about half that size. Gil'thar then heads towards the doorway into the building while looking around for any other potential threats.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

infomatic
2019-04-16, 11:26 AM
She finishes smashing the scorpion's claw to bits and, taking a piece of it, limps inside. Exasperated, she looks around at the others. Refugees, plainly, and likely with few options. And they were about to lose one more.

"I told this one already," she says. "But you all have to go. There's nothing here for you anymore. My people are reclaiming these villages, and they aren't known for their patience."

Hamish
2019-04-16, 11:42 PM
I am Gil'thar by the way. Thanks for the help out there, I'm not used to being taken by surprise.

The Kool
2019-04-18, 08:33 AM
Now inside the shelter, things are quiet once again. It takes a few minutes for the adrenaline to die back down, but Rusk knows they don't have long before Molok comes looking.

Gil'thar takes a good long look around, and catches sight of something concerning: Fresh, shuffling footsteps in the sand. They don't look like they're in a place any of you have walked. The air is still, and off in the distance you can hear the slow pounding of the sand-colored golem patrolling the horizon. It's possible there's someone, or multiple someones, here in the ruins with you. This place might not be as safe as you thought.

But where to go? To the north and west is only more sand and buried ruins, which could provide cover and reward if you're willing to risk it. You have marked on your map where one or two are. To the southeast, there's Glassrock and Nightvale, a risky proposition. Beyond them, Dragonsborough and the cliff road, which eventually leads to the forests of the elves. Far enough to the north and you'll reach the Ice Mountains, across which the Iceheart Dwarves can be found if you know where to look.

Hamish
2019-04-18, 09:17 PM
I looks around more carefully, trying to follow where the footprints go. Hey Guys, I don't think we are the only ones here, these look fresh. I say as I point the footprints out to the others. "Also, given how dangerous these ruins seem to be, much more so than others I have explored, it might make sense to stick together, what do you guys think? I'm thinking about either checking out some ruins to the northwest, or head toward's the forests of the elves to the southeast, but I'm worried about passing that close to Glassrock, Nightvale, and Dragonsborough with the way things have been going lately."

Search: [roll2]

Ellowryn
2019-04-18, 10:16 PM
He ponders for a bit while surveying the pointed out tracks. This area is known for still carrying treasure, its why many of us in this very room are here. Turning to Gil'thar It does indeed make sense to stick together, much more than to continue to explore this hell hole, but explore this place is why i have come and if others are willing to work together we might just all survive to enjoy our new found partnership with some ancient gold. My name is Koryver, Koryver Halander.

infomatic
2019-04-19, 07:46 AM
Rusk snorts. "Rusk," she says as an introduction. "We may as well get acquainted if our heads will all be on spears together by sunset. Sooner if we head to Glassrock."

Clearly, the best option was to race back to the mule and leave this sorry lot to Molok; maybe they'd delay him long enough that she could get away. But she was intrigued by the mention of gold. Did these stragglers actually know something worthwhile, or were they just wildly hoping, as she was?

Nap Captain
2019-04-20, 05:18 PM
"And I am Lissa Nevar, by the grace of Bralm." She composed her face whilst she inwardly debated her options. Koryver and herself had long debated the merits of their plan, and the arrival of these newcomers and this scorpion were not enough to derail it: they could still forge ahead.

"We came here seeking items to aid us, gold or better if we can manage it. I suggest we search: four sets of eyes are better than two." Turning to Rusk, she asks: "Do you know how long we have until your kin arrive? I am grateful for your warning: we should make the most of it."

Should the group go along with Lissa's plan, she will begin to scout the nearby ruins, keeping an eye out.

Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll2]

infomatic
2019-04-21, 09:41 PM
"I'm surprised they waited for me this long," Rusk replies. Perhaps they'll ride by, but I wouldn't count on it. But I left my mule at the outskirts of the ruins, we should get him out of sight regardless."

Her eyes linger on their wounds. "That beast hurt us badly. Molok's carries some healing magic, I know. I wouldn't try to challenge them in our present condition, but if we could get it off him somehow it could solve some problems."

The Kool
2019-04-22, 07:30 AM
I'll let you lick your wounds and discuss tactics, but Rusk suspects you have about an hour before you risk Molok finding you. Translation: I give you until Wednesday to figure out what you're doing next before I make something happen.

Nap Captain
2019-04-22, 11:37 AM
"Then we have little time. Let us scout out the terrain and find what is here, whether that is treasure or further threats. We should learn the lay of the land before this Molok arrives. Meet back here before the hour is through so that we can decide to run if that is the most sensible option."

Lissa finds the strength to heal herself, noticing the dwindling in her magic: I can't keep this up for much longer.

Cure light wounds on herself: [roll0]

And then the search rolls from my previous post.

infomatic
2019-04-22, 03:47 PM
Binding up her leg as best she can, Rusk hustles back to retrieve Ollu the mule and bring him farther into town. She didn't want to advertise their presence in the ruins, but she didn't want the thing to die of thirst, either. If Molok and the others made it this far, they'd find him and bring him home; otherwise she could collect the mule again later.

Upon returning, she checks to see if the monstrous scorpion left a trail to follow back to its lair.

Don't have Track yet, but might be able to follow them if DC is 10 or lower

[roll0] survival

The Kool
2019-04-22, 03:54 PM
Rusk is indeed able to follow the trail this beast left in the sand, though it becomes very difficult at times. The path winds through a few collapsed buildings, approaching the remains of a building that at least still have an intact door. The trail disappears down into the sand at this point.

On the way, it becomes apparent that this is not the only thing roaming the sands. Humanoid footprints in large groups are here as well, though they leave an awkward, shuffling trail. Occasionally, the sound of movement can be heard in the distance, and at one point Gil'thar gets a solid glimpse of them down a sand-filled street, but when he looks back they're gone.

Ellowryn
2019-04-22, 07:18 PM
Koryver follows after Rusk Ill provide some cover fire if we run into anybody, or anything, while we get your mule. We can keep it next to Bucephalus with some spare feed i have.

He stays slightly back from his new partner, not so much out fear of betrayal but rather so they both dont get ambushed together, while trying to stick cover.

Staying roughly 15-20 feet back, keeping on the lookout.
Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

The Kool
2019-04-23, 01:19 PM
Since I missed something, the humanoid footprints in large numbers are the same tracks Gil'thar noticed earlier. You can follow them if you like, but I got the impression that you were following the trail of the scorpion-beast.

Also, don't be afraid to roll for stealthiness or perceptiveness when you think it appropriate. I might not call on it right away, or at all. Or it might apply shortly thereafter. Spamming rolls will get you nowhere, but "hey we're moving across the ruins so here's some spot/hide rolls" is perfectly fitting.

infomatic
2019-04-23, 03:54 PM
"There are more here?" Rusk asks, surprised. "I had thought you lot were on your own. Or is this a different group?"

Cautiously, she keeps following the scorpion's prints. Hopefully it was a loner.

Nap Captain
2019-04-24, 08:02 AM
"We haven't seen any sign of others until you arrived, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were other scavengers here." Lissa kept pace with Rusk, following the scorpion's tracks and keeping an eye out for danger.

Not sure if that was a hint to roll again - my first rolls were in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23858354&postcount=40) post.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Turning to Rusk, Lissa ventured to ask: "Might I enquire as to why you have not handed us over to your people? Not that I'm disappointed, obviously, but just curious."

The Kool
2019-04-24, 01:12 PM
At this point, I think you guys have enough to work on. I'll consolidate so things can keep moving forward:

All four of you are following the scorpion's trail. Whenever you are ready to reach it, the trail disappears down into the sand in front of a building that still has a door.

Koryver is keeping to the shadows. You all know he is there because you watched him hide, but sometimes you lose track of him. There's plenty of cover and shadows, but also plenty of places where he has to break from cover to keep up.

Some of you have noticed another set of tracks. Gil'thar has seen what they belong to, several humanoids that seem to be shuffling along as if completely exhausted and barely still on their feet. It was off down a side street, and when you looked again for a closer examination they were out of sight. You've seen their tracks in multiple places around the ruins, now.

The mule, I believe, is waiting in your original hideout. Molok is outside of town, you have less than an hour until he is likely to enter the ruins.

Occasionally, you have spotted tracks or signs of other creatures here. In your time, you've even seen some of them. None of these others are actively present, but you know there are threats to be found here if you go looking, or wait long enough.

Hamish
2019-04-24, 04:03 PM
Well, this building with a door seems like a good place to hole up and defend or hide in, or it could be that something else has already made that decision. I think we should do one of 4 things.

First: Hole up in here after making sure it is clear, and preparing to defend it from Molok. How many people does he have with him by the way? If we do this we should probably bring the mule in here as well.

Second: See if the wandering humanoids would have any interest in joining us to help defend this place from Molok, or if they are a threat to us.

Third: Take the fight to Molok outside of here or choose a different place to prepare an ambush for when he does come in.

Fourth: Leave this place to Molok and try to avoid any confrontation.

By the way, no matter what we choose, I am fairly injured still, so keep that in mind.

Ellowryn
2019-04-24, 05:25 PM
Confident they wont suddenly be ambushed form all sides Koryver moves to join the group. One or four would probably be best, but think with how little time we have along with the injuries sustained we should stick to option one. Turning to look back in the direction they came And yes we should retrieve Bucephalus and company along with any other related gear we left behind. Should also probably try and hide our tracks to this place once we are done.

The Kool
2019-04-25, 08:43 AM
Molok has a band of about two dozen.

Covering your tracks will take half an hour and a...hide check? Is that the best fitting one here?

infomatic
2019-04-25, 10:14 AM
Turning to Rusk, Lissa ventured to ask: "Might I enquire as to why you have not handed us over to your people? Not that I'm disappointed, obviously, but just curious."

"And you'd let me?"
Rusk responds, and points to her own wounds. "I might be able to kill one of you … maybe two, since you're hurt. But not all three. I suppose I could've just let that beast finish you off, but what's done is done. I … got caught up in it all, I suppose."

She pauses, and looks in the direction from where, she guesses, Molok and the others would come from. "Also, Molok is stupid and cruel; He'd be furious if he knew a female had taken first blood in the raid. Probably call for my scalp then and there."

SRD for track doesn't give a procedure for hiding tracks beyond "Tracked party hides trail (and moves at half speed)"

So maybe that plus a survival or ability check?

The Kool
2019-04-25, 10:16 AM
"And you'd let me?"
Rusk responds, and points to her own wounds. "I might be able to kill two of you, but not all three. I suppose I could've just let that beast finish you off, but what's done is done. I … got caught up in it all, I suppose."

She pauses, and looks in the direction from where, she guesses, Molok and the others would come from. "Also, Molok is stupid and cruel; He'd be furious if he knew a female had taken first blood in the raid. Probably call for my scalp then and there."

SRD for track doesn't give a procedure for hiding tracks beyond "Tracked party hides trail (and moves at half speed)"

So maybe that plus a survival or ability check?

Survival sounds good.

infomatic
2019-04-26, 03:47 PM
Rusk trails the others as they move, sweeping the coils of her rope behind them in an effort to obscure their trail. Occasionally one of the others points out a mistake, and she has to go back and re-bury the tracks, but bit by bit they proceed.

Take 10, hoping for aid another for 16 (or better if more than one person can do it.)

If I can't take 10, [roll0]

Ellowryn
2019-04-26, 09:03 PM
Koryver quickly guides the pack animals to their new residence. After ensuring that they both have plenty of feed he takes stock of their new abode.

Spot check [roll0] to look around and search check [roll1] if i spot anything intersting

The Kool
2019-04-26, 10:51 PM
Koryver quickly guides the pack animals to their new residence. After ensuring that they both have plenty of feed he takes stock of their new abode.

Spot check [roll0] to look around and search check [roll1] if i spot anything intersting

It would help if you were inside. The door that this building miraculously still has is stuck shut.

infomatic
2019-04-28, 05:20 PM
Rusk moves forward cautiously and tries scooping sand away from the door. "Give me a hand, or at least get ready to stab anything that jumps out."

Hamish
2019-04-28, 08:33 PM
Let me see.

Open Lock: [roll0]
Disable Device: (To get the door unstuck, not to disable it's doorness) [roll1]

Nap Captain
2019-04-29, 03:03 AM
"And you'd let me?"
Rusk responds, and points to her own wounds. "I might be able to kill one of you … maybe two, since you're hurt. But not all three. I suppose I could've just let that beast finish you off, but what's done is done. I … got caught up in it all, I suppose."

"Comforting," Lissa grumbles, still concerned about the half-orc they had thrown in with.

Whilst Gli'thar worked at the lock, Lissa crouched down and began to scrape sand away from the bottom of the door to help un-stick it.

What sort of role would this even be?

The Kool
2019-04-29, 05:27 PM
It takes some time, about ten minutes, but Gil'thar works the latch of the door open and the others clear away enough sand to squeeze in through the gap in the door. Inside, the room is dark and cool, small amounts of sand on the floor but it remains mostly clean. This room may indeed be a good place to hole up.

Hamish
2019-04-29, 06:42 PM
Gil'thar quickly checks the room for any signs of things living in here, tracks, defection, etc. as well as for any ways out of the room other than the door they came through.

Search:
Spot: [Roll]1d20+8

Hamish
2019-04-29, 06:43 PM
Since the last set of rolls didn't fully work due to a typo...

The Kool
2019-04-29, 06:47 PM
A thorough search reveals no signs of anything bigger than a rat living in here. There's a door on the other end of the room.

Outside, you hear slow, shuffling footsteps approaching from a side street. Sounds like they're dragging their feet in the sand.

infomatic
2019-04-29, 08:59 PM
Rusk eases the door shut and readies a lantern. Briefly igniting Queen Avarice's fiery halo, she presses a thumb and forefinger to the wick until a tongue of flame catches and the lantern sputters to life. She keeps listening at the door.

Activating Halo of Flame to light her lantern. (She has flint and steel but this is more stylish.)

[roll0] listen

OK, really could've used that with the scorpion. :smallconfused:

Nap Captain
2019-04-30, 02:28 PM
Whilst the others reacted to the shuffling feet, Lissa paused. The tracks of the scorpion creature disappeared here: but this building was no dwelling for a creature like that. Looking down at her feet she realised that its lair must be hidden beneath the earth, a better hiding place by far. She began to search the ground for signs of burrowing and tried to shovel the sand away with any nearby handy tools.

The Kool
2019-04-30, 02:30 PM
Digging through the sand like that will take some time. It's fairly soft though, soft enough to notice that what may have once been a solidly paved street is no longer such, under the thick layer of sand.

Nap Captain
2019-05-02, 05:45 PM
Digging through the sand like that will take some time. It's fairly soft though, soft enough to notice that what may have once been a solidly paved street is no longer such, under the thick layer of sand.

Moving within the structure and out of sight of any creatures still at large, Lissa continues her investigation of the ground, in order to determine where their erstwhile hunter may have come from.

The Kool
2019-05-02, 07:17 PM
I'll repeat what I said OOC, for relevance:

Inside, the room has a flagstone floor. There is however a door in the back of the room.

Hamish
2019-05-02, 10:46 PM
Gil'thar goes over and examines the door and listens at it.Shall we rest here or go deeper into this building?

The Kool
2019-05-03, 12:34 AM
The door opens easily. Beyond it is the remains of another room; stones torn up, ceiling half fallen, and piles of sand encroaching.

infomatic
2019-05-03, 01:05 PM
"The farther away from whatever's out there, the better," Rusk says, and moves through to the new room. She casts a wary eye on the floor — was it damaged by the falling ceiling, or pushed up from below?

The Kool
2019-05-03, 02:52 PM
Unsure, but as you examine more closely, you notice the sand shift a bit, and a chunk of it slides under the stone you're standing on. The stone shifts under your weight at the same moment.

infomatic
2019-05-03, 04:40 PM
"Hm." Rusk crouches and examines the stone, beckoning the other two over to look at it before pulling a hooked iron bar from her pack and trying to pry the stone loose.

Wait for a safety-first check from Gil'thar, then using a crowbar to pull up the stone.

Take 20 for check of 25

The Kool
2019-05-03, 05:18 PM
Rusk struggles with the stone, then gets firmer footing and pries again. After a few tries, the stone simply gives way, breaking loose from some sort of bracing and sliding down into a room below the one you were standing in.

infomatic
2019-05-06, 11:21 AM
Rusk places the lantern on the ledge as she peers down into the exposed chamber, and begins measuring out rope.

How deep is the drop? Can we climb down by hand or will we need a rope assist?

The Kool
2019-05-06, 11:53 AM
The drop is about 9 feet. It's not much of a drop, more like a room below the one you're in, and the sand creates a slope down into the room. Rope would help for getting down and up quickly, but isn't necessary.

Hamish
2019-05-07, 12:05 AM
Before we go deeper into this structure, it would probably make sense to recover some of our strength. I don't know about you 3, but I'm about ready to drop. Gil'thar says as he looks down into the lower room with his crossbow loaded and aimed down into the hole.

The Kool
2019-05-07, 12:08 AM
Down in the room is darkness, but no signs of motion, either visual or audible.

Nap Captain
2019-05-07, 01:38 AM
Lissa would normally be eager to agree: she's not got a whole lot of strength left and if there are any more of those scorpion things then they'll be dead. But if they wait then the orcs will definitely arrive before they can leave, and who knows whether they'll be able to remain hidden.

"But we risk the possible threat of whatever's down there than get caught by those orcs,"
she argued, voicing her concerns aloud. "Let's find out what's down there, as it may be a place we can hide from the scavengers."

Picking up a small stone, Lissa prays for the power to illuminate the darkness and casts a light spell on it.

Light, level 0 - duration 10 minutes.

Ellowryn
2019-05-08, 09:45 AM
While the other begin the rudimentary exploration of the building Koryver sets up the pack animals in a corner of the room. Once satisfied, he heads over to rejoin the other. Thats a tough one, while i am capable of going on its not good to have the rest of the group exhausted. He strokes his chin as he thinks, It might be best to at least see what the chamber below us is like as it would indeed help protect us from rampaging orcs, or worse. But getting the animals down there might prove difficult.

infomatic
2019-05-10, 10:25 AM
"We can leave the animals up here for now," Rusk agrees, still looking down at the hole. "But we'd at least better look a little ourselves — if something is down there, I don't want it to crawl up while we're sleeping."

She looks around for something to secure a rope to, but failing that she scrambles down the slope to the chamber below.

I know we've got pitons but they might make noise.

The Kool
2019-05-10, 04:20 PM
Search check to find a good place to secure the rope.

infomatic
2019-05-10, 11:21 PM
[roll0] search

The Kool
2019-05-10, 11:46 PM
You find that some of the broken wall provides a secure anchor for the rope.

infomatic
2019-05-14, 02:42 PM
Rusk secures the line and slides scrambles down the sandy slope — rope in one hand, lantern in the other. Then Gil'thar tosses her the scythe and she peers into the gloom.

[roll0] spot
[roll1] listen

The Kool
2019-05-14, 02:49 PM
Outside, you have a feeling that Molok's band is likely approaching the ruins. In the town, there are still those wandering figures you caught sight of, that remain unidentified. In the building, for the moment, all is quiet. The new residents hold out hope that they can bandage their wounds before they have to fight anything, but with potential hostiles outside the door and the unknown darkness below them, they aren't ready to rest yet.

Gil'thar and Rusk begin the expedition into the darkness, bringing light, rope, and a weapon. The rope feels secure and holds your weight, though it is more for stabilization as you slide down the sand. Reaching the bottom, you hear little more than sliding sand and shuffling footsteps and muffled voices from above, but the light reveals to you a basement that is half caved in. Originally walled with stone, the room was once home to barrels of wine, shelves of food, and tables and benches stacked along a wall. The food is likely long since spoiled, and most of the barrels appear smashed, but the tables seem sturdy. The biggest thing of note, though, is that the room appears to have been turned into a next of some large creature, a creature that is not currently present. As you lift the light and look around, the glint of something shiny catches your eye from amid the shelves and rubble piled up around the nest.

Hamish
2019-05-14, 07:16 PM
Gil'thar searches the room carefully as well as looking for any potential exits and listening for any sounds (particularly potential threats)

Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Nap Captain
2019-05-16, 02:18 AM
Having lent Gil'thar and Rusk her enchanted light-pebble, Lissa moves to the doorway of the hut to keep an eye out for anyone approaching.

If the others indicate to come and join them, she will.

infomatic
2019-05-18, 12:09 PM
"With any luck, it's that scorpion's nest," Rusk notes, shaking the pouch where she'd placed the trophy from the beast. "Not that it's been a lucky day so far."

Spying the shiny thing, she crouches down and reaches for it.

Ellowryn
2019-05-18, 05:27 PM
Hearing only the normal sounds of searching, as opposed to eerie silence or mass slaughter, Koryver makes his way down. While the other two are intent on searching the contents of the nest he looks to see if he can spy the exit to this room for scorpions are not known to politely open and close doors.

Spot check to find other exits [roll0]

The Kool
2019-05-24, 10:46 PM
As you dig around, you uncover some small gems and coins of varying denominations. A quick estimate tells you you have about 500gp worth in there. In addition, there seems to perhaps be a few items still usable around the storeroom: a few salted hams that could possibly still be good, some bags of animal feed as well, a large tent neatly stacked in one corner, and a small cask of what seems to be candle or sealing wax, maybe a gallon. As for other exits, the sand behind you seems disturbed in places as if something has burrowed through it on multiple occasions. The remains of stairs can be seen from a corner of the pile of sand, so this may have been the original way up and down to begin with.

Outside the front door, sounds of shuffling can be heard in the sands. A thump of something against the stone gives a small, hollow echo through the room.

infomatic
2019-05-28, 09:36 PM
Rusk can't help stuffing some of the coins in her pouch before the thumping sound from above snaps her back to reality. The food would be useful if they were to try and make it across the desert, but they'd have to get out of here first. She crouches down and tries to see if the scorpion left a big enough tunnel to drag themselves – and their new loot through.

Another thump. She glances at the tent again and bites her lip, thinking.

"They may not know we're here," she says. "If we cover ourselves with this tarp and get some sand over it, they may just move on."

I have no idea if either of those options — squeezing through disturbed sand or covering the tent cloth with sand and then hiding under it — would work. Just spitballing.

The Kool
2019-05-28, 09:42 PM
There appears to be no tunnel in the sand, but the tarp idea, with the right roll, might work.

infomatic
2019-06-03, 09:06 PM
Rusk hastily unwinds the rotted length of rope wound around the tent and lays out the fabric flat on the sand, tossing handfuls of sand over it in a manner that — she hopes — looks like the slope had simply collapsed upon it, bidding the others to do likewise. Then she kneels and begins scooping out a space beneath the waxen cloth until there's enough room to squeeze beneath it.

Before she does so, she scrambles up the slope and leaves her crowbar beneath the hole in the ceiling — perhaps the intruders would take it as a sign they'd climbed out and left the tool behind. It's not much, she thinks, but there's not time for anything really clever.

A survival roll to come up with what sand is supposed to look like? Or a hide?

[roll0] survival
[roll1] hide

The Kool
2019-06-03, 11:28 PM
[Since things are slow, I'm moving things along.]

The thumping and bumping moves away after a while, then in the distance you can hear some calls and cries of course voices. It's an uneasy peace, but the next few hours pass uneventfully. As morning rolls along to midday, you know that it would be hot outside if not for the shroud. Instead, it's stuffy and uncomfortable down here, but you move around and patch up some wounds while you hide out. Your shelter made secure, you keep it ready to dive into at a moment's notice, but no need arises. Voices are heard from time to time, but no one enters the building.

[You may all heal for 8 hours of rest. Feel free to continue roleplaying if you want, but you need to discuss and enact your next move. As a bit of encouragement, once you make it out of the town I'll give you a levelup.]

infomatic
2019-06-04, 10:02 PM
Rusk busies herself for a time counting out coins, but loses interest after a while and just starts shoveling them into a sack. Regardless of the exact total, it was still more wealth than she'd seen at one time, enough to pay for supplies — and bribes, if need be — that could take her across the desert. And perhaps these other two; surely they'd figured out that there wasn't any future for them here. There wasn't even much of a future for Rusk, and it was her side that had won, after all.

She doesn't seriously consider going back. She was long overdue now and though she might be able to buy her life off with the gold, she didn't feel much like surrendering either.

Rusk hauls the sacks up the slope again and slings them over Ollu's harness. She motions to Koryver and Gil'thar, taking care to keep her voice low. No sense in pressing their luck.

"You don't really still want to stay here, do you? The next group that comes won't just rattle doorknobs." She opens the door and peeks out into the street. "I don't know if there's any place safe for your kind, but even the desert would be better than here."

So the two directions that seemed like good choices were North, through the ruins and to the mountains, or try to pass Glassrock and Nightvale to the southeast and beyond into the mountains that way. North has ruins (i.e., dungeon crawls), SE presumably has more urban environments though we'd probably risk capture, at least for Koryver and Gil'thar.

infomatic
2019-06-14, 10:45 PM
Well, that's that.

Rusk stared down at the dust at severed arm that had, until recently, belonged to Molok. It was clearly his; she recognized the crude tattoos and the fingers, which even in their present state were curled into a rude gesture. Whatever Molok had fought, he apparently couldn't resist getting in a final insult.

But where was the rest of him? The ground had the marks of a battle — perhaps the plan to lure the patrol into a dangerous encounter had worked — but there were no other bodies. Perhaps Molok had retreated and left his arm behind.

Which meant Rusk's prospects were dimmer than ever. She certainly couldn't go back to Glassrock now. She turned her face to the north, where she could spy the figures receding into the distance. Fools, she thinks again. What awaited them out there? If they were lucky, they'd be eaten before they died of thirst.

East was dangerous, too, but the sea road was within reach and from there, the sea. Rusk finishes loading the tent and sacks onto Ollu and leads the mule toward the edge of town, away from the setting sun. She didn't look back again.

The Kool
2019-06-15, 12:17 AM
The journey wasn't as long or as hard as expected. To the east, and slightly south, Rusk struck out for the coast, and was soon standing atop the cliff that dropped sheer for almost a mile. The drop was dizzying, and she could almost feel the pull of the wind trying to draw her over the edge, even from a distance. Below, all the way out to the horizon: Ocean. From here, she turned her feet eastward, and two days later the walls of Nightvale came into view. The city was once called something else, but that was before the Shroud descended and the Daughters of Darkness took their place as the ruling class of the city. Thankfully though, Rusk didn't need to enter the city to gain passage on a ship.

Descending the cliff was easier here, for not only was it less sheer, but there were also buildings, staircases, and paths winding their way up and down. Few wide enough for a cart, but getting a mule down to the water wasn't that difficult. It took most of the afternoon, and there was a ship leaving that evening, so she was in luck. Where didn't much matter, but lately most ships were sailing south, so south it was. The destination of this vessel, she soon learned, was the Grin, some 3 weeks journey with favorable winds. She could easily afford the journey, thanks to the lion's share of the treasure that the others had barely bothered to ask for a portion of. Even after paying her way, she still held 200gp worth of gem and coin.

infomatic
2019-06-16, 10:58 AM
Rusk wasn't known in the port, but she still wore another face as she entered in case she ran into anyone else there by chance from Glassrock. It was a trick she learned from her mother, who often wore the guise of an ancient crone — specifically, a great-aunt — to avoid attention from the males. Rusk wasn't as talented as her mother but had managed to parley with the spirit of Naberius, a long-dead scoundrel famous for disguises — and who knew a bit about sailing, which was helpful. Once convinced she was safely among strangers, she let the mask drop as she arranged passage.

She traded Ollu in the bazaar for some dried fruit — probably a bad deal for Rusk but the port seemed like a better place for the mule than either the desert or the storage hold, so he'd probably do all right.

Binding Naberius check [roll0]
Abilities: Disguise Self, Ability Healing, Persuasive Words (command 1/5 rounds), Take 10 on Diplo/Bluff, fast Diplo checks

New Skills: Profession (Sailor), Know (Geography); 0 ranks but can make those skill checks untrained.