PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Fullblade

nick_crenshaw
2019-04-10, 12:15 AM
Are these good rules for the 3.5 Fullblade

Fullblade
A Medium-size fullblade is 18 inches longer than a greatsword, and is too large for a Medium-size creature to use with two hands without special training; thus, it is an exotic weapon. (Medium-size creatures cannot use a fullblade one-handed at all.) A Large-size creature could use the fullblade with one hand, but would be assessed the standard -4 non-proficiency penalty to its attack rolls, or with two hands at a -2 size penalty. A Large-size creature with the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat could use the fullblade in one hand (at the same penalty), but a Medium-size creature must use both hands even with the feat. A fullblade is also called an ogre's greatsword.
Exotic Weapon - Melee
Cost - 100 gp
Dmg(S) - 2d6
Dmg(M) - 2d8
Crit - 19-20/x2
Weight - 23 lb.
Type - Slashing

Eldariel
2019-04-10, 12:53 AM
These would be the automatic rules you'd get for converting it into 3.5, yes. It's fine. It's essentially just a Large Bastard Sword, but if you take EWP: Fullblade instead of EWP: Bastard Sword, you don't suffer a penalty for wielding it. It's a bit weird but not a problem in any sense, really.

Maat Mons
2019-04-10, 12:57 AM
You are really over-complicating this. Just make it an exotic two-handed weapon that deals 2d8 damage (at medium size).

Everything you wrote that relates to size should be scrapped.

Jack_McSnatch
2019-04-10, 01:54 AM
3.0 seemed to be weirdly concerned with the size thing. Just to point out how few fluffs 3.5 gave, there's a human npc who dual wields size large bastard swords, which are the exact same thing as the vanilla fullblade, sans the unnecessary size restrictions.

Personally, I would want to give the fullblade a little more oomph, as it's an exotic weapon. Maybe a higher damage multiplier. The closest historical analogue we have to a fullblade is the executioner's sword, which was exclusively designed to lop off body parts. Specifically heads. Sounds like a x3 crit to me.

Eldariel
2019-04-10, 01:57 AM
3.0 seemed to be weirdly concerned with the size thing. Just to point out how few fluffs 3.5 gave, there's a human npc who dual wields size large bastard swords, which are the exact same thing as the vanilla fullblade, sans the unnecessary size restrictions.

How does said NPC manage that? Far as I know, there's no way to wield a Large weapon in the offhand as a medium character.

Jack_McSnatch
2019-04-10, 02:01 AM
How does said NPC manage that? Far as I know, there's no way to wield a Large weapon in the offhand as a medium character.

He has the feats monkey grip, twf, ewp bastard sword, and oversized twf. So, apparently oversized twf overrides monkey grip's offhand clause.

Eldariel
2019-04-10, 02:03 AM
He has the feats monkey grip, twf, ewp bastard sword, and oversized twf. So, apparently oversized twf overrides monkey grip's offhand clause.

In today's topic of "WotC example characters are rules illegal" - then again, whoever thought about that stupid rule for Monkey Grip in the first place? It's already a weak enough feat.

Jack_McSnatch
2019-04-10, 02:14 AM
In today's topic of "WotC example characters are rules illegal" - then again, whoever thought about that stupid rule for Monkey Grip in the first place? It's already a weak enough feat.

See I don't think of it as Wotc characters being illegal... I think of it as Wotc validating all the terrible tomfoolery we all want to engage in. Wanna dual wield greatswords taller than you are? GO for it, you anime protagonist you.

Maat Mons
2019-04-10, 02:28 AM
Far as I know, there's no way to wield a Large weapon in the offhand as a medium character.

Strongarm Bracers (MIC 139) work.

Eldariel
2019-04-10, 04:27 AM
See I don't think of it as Wotc characters being illegal... I think of it as Wotc validating all the terrible tomfoolery we all want to engage in. Wanna dual wield greatswords taller than you are? GO for it, you anime protagonist you.

The thing is though, if they wanted to do that they should just make their abilities say you can :smalltongue: It's kinda disingenious to write a feat that says you can't do that and then make an example character that does it; since it's clearly awesome, just write your feats so that you can indeed do that.

nick_crenshaw
2019-04-10, 08:17 PM

Oversized TWF does not override Monkey Grip. OTF allows you treat an one-handed weapon as if it were a light weapon if used in your off hand while Monkey Grip let's you use a weapon one category larger (i.e. a large longsword) at a reduced penalty (at -2 instead of -4).

nick_crenshaw
2019-04-10, 08:28 PM
The thing is though, if they wanted to do that they should just make their abilities say you can :smalltongue: It's kinda disingenious to write a feat that says you can't do that and then make an example character that does it; since it's clearly awesome, just write your feats so that you can indeed do that.

EWP: Bastard Sword allows you to wield a bastard sword as a one-handed weapon, with TWF you can wield a light weapon in your off hand, Oversized TWF treats a one-handed weapon as a light weapon if used in your off hand, and Monkey Grip allows you to use a weapon one size category larger than normal at a -2 penalty (instead of -4). All together you can legally dual large bastard swords at a total penalty of -4 (-2 for TWF and -2 for Monkey Grip). OP possibly but really no worst then your average mage.

Maat Mons
2019-04-10, 09:04 PM
All together you can legally dual large bastard swords at a total penalty of -4 (-2 for TWF and -2 for Monkey Grip).

How are you getting around that "You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand" clause from Monkey Grip.

What you definitely can do, is dual-wield Warmaces, and cast Greater Mighty Wallop on them for 8d6 damage apiece. (Or, heck, downgrade to Mauls if you don't like the AC penalty. 6d8 is only 1 point lower than 8d6, on average.)

nick_crenshaw
2019-04-10, 11:12 PM
How are you getting around that "You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand" clause from Monkey Grip.

What you definitely can do, is dual-wield Warmaces, and cast Greater Mighty Wallop on them for 8d6 damage apiece. (Or, heck, downgrade to Mauls if you don't like the AC penalty. 6d8 is only 1 point lower than 8d6, on average.)

Through the use of Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting, plus the text from that feat in the Complete Warrior is the same as in Sword & Fist (3rd Edition book) where the weapon size rules were different.

Eldariel
2019-04-11, 02:42 AM
Through the use of Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting, plus the text from that feat in the Complete Warrior is the same as in Sword & Fist (3rd Edition book) where the weapon size rules were different.

Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting cares nothing about what you can or can't wield, it just lowers penalties for doing something you already could do - wield two one-handed weapons (same with TWF, it doesn't give you the ability to do anything, just removes a bunch of penalties). Nothing interacts with Monkey Grip's restriction in any way.

Âmesang
2019-04-11, 08:37 AM
You are really over-complicating this. Just make it an exotic two-handed weapon that deals 2d8 damage (at medium size).

Everything you wrote that relates to size should be scrapped.
This is why I house ruled that heavy weapons (gold, platinum, &c.) do damage as a weapon one size category larger, instead of having to deal with the tables the 3.0 version had.