PDA

View Full Version : What would be the better build?

Keeganwilson
2019-04-10, 05:55 AM
To go Arcana Cleric or Cleric 1-2/ Wizard 18-19 ?

Looking for a build that has highish hit points, good survivability and versatility while being able to get a good chunk of damage out. But can also heal when needed. A comfortable all rounder is really what I'm looking for. Is there anything that would be better than these builds for what I'm looking for ?

Bannan_mantis
2019-04-10, 06:19 AM

Looking for a build that has highish hit points, good survivability and versatility while being able to get a good chunk of damage out. But can also heal when needed. A comfortable all rounder is really what I'm looking for. Is there anything that would be better than these builds for what I'm looking for ?

From what I've seen Arcana clerics fit it more than well. They can go into melee with booming blade or green flame blade, tank with medium armour, shields and spells (shield of faith, healing word etc.) and cast a good amount of utility spells. From what I can tell cleric has more emphasis on survivability and versatility than the wizard so consider that when multiclassing. If you're looking for anything else things that come to my mind include war wizards, nature clerics, bards and warlocks (invocations + extra stuff = lot of choices and variety.)

CTurbo
2019-04-10, 08:16 AM

Sounds like a Bard to me lol

If you like Clerics, I say either go full on Light Cleric or Tempest Cleric. They're everything you're looking for. No wizard levels necessary.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-10, 04:42 PM
What the Arcana Cleric provides are the special, arcane solutions to your party's problems that only a Wizard would normally have. You want Secret Chest, you got it! You want Magic Circle and want to teleport? You can do that too! They provide for the group's long-term problems.

Coincidentally, you can also grab Ritual Caster-Wizard to improve upon this further. Between the Cleric, the Arcana Cleric, and Ritual Caster, there are exact 2 redundant spells out of the 20 or so getting Ritual Caster would provide for you.

Bards provide better for social/sneak environments, and a Wizard doesn't have the natural tankiness or healing that a Cleric has.

Ogre Mage
2019-04-11, 01:14 AM
Both Arcana Cleric 20 and Cleric 1/Wizard 19 are fine builds. If you are stuck with 27 point buy I probably would go with a single-classed cleric. But if you have higher points or rolled better I would lean towards Cleric 1/Wizard 19.

While Arcana Cleric 20 is a fine build and the best single-classed cleric from level 17 on, I personally prefer the Light Domain cleric. It is more of a blaster: faerie fire, scorching ray, fireball and wall of fire. Warding flare offers a strong defense the arcana cleric doesn't get (especially nice when running spirit guardians and trying to dodge hits). Radiance of the Dawn is a powerful, party-friendly AoE attack, especially at lower levels. Light Cleric 20 is SAD, all you need is wisdom, though dex 14 (for medium armor) and con 14 are recommended. You'll be a powerhouse throughout the game.

Cleric 1/Wizard 19 is a powerful and versatile control build. One of my very favorites. I like to go with the knowledge domain for this build as you can boost your arcana skill through the roof and it is a very thematically appropriate choice for a wizard. Cure wounds, healing word, bless, guidance and armor on top of wizard class abilities is a great mix. I would recommended wearing medium armor and having a dex 14 regardless of what domain you go with as dex is more generically useful than str. Don't forget your familiar can deliver touch spells, including cure wounds.

LudicSavant
2019-04-11, 01:31 AM

If you want to fill the "healer" role then Wizard probably isn't what you want, and not just because they lack the bigger hit point healing spells. One of the most important aspects of the healer role is restoring everything other than hit points. For example, the game is much deadlier if nobody can cast Revivify, or Restoration, or other such things.

All that Cleric 1 is really bringing to the "healing" table is Healing Word to pick people up off the death gate, and Wizards can already kinda approximate that by having their familiar (or other minion) feed a potion to someone.

But really, both of those builds are great. Go for either.