PDA

View Full Version : Were there any Epic Dragon's besides Force and Prismatic?

BlueWitch
2019-04-10, 08:58 AM
Just curious but are there any other Epic Dragons?

I know about Force Dragons, and Prismatic Dragons, but were there any other types like them?

And for the sake of argument, I'm not counting just advancing regular ones.

Remuko
2019-04-10, 09:47 AM
Just curious but are there any other Epic Dragons?

I know about Force Dragons, and Prismatic Dragons, but were there any other types like them?

And for the sake of argument, I'm not counting just advancing regular ones.

I believe one of the dragon magazines added a Time Dragon which was epic like the Prismatic and Force dragons.

Bronk
2019-04-10, 09:48 AM
I believe one of the dragon magazines added a Time Dragon which was epic like the Prismatic and Force dragons.

Yeah, it was in Dragon 360. (edit: Nope! 359 after all.)

BlueWitch
2019-04-10, 11:54 AM

I went and searched this up and you were right. It even sounds awesome!
Thanks! It's just what we needed! ^^

Buufreak
2019-04-10, 02:38 PM
A warning: a time dragon is nothing to so frivolously toy with. They are perhaps the most formidable monster in print, even compared to gods.

Crake
2019-04-10, 02:50 PM
Regular dragons also had virtual age categories added in the ELH to advance them beyond great wyrm to push them up into epic.

Biggus
2019-04-10, 03:47 PM

Yes, in Dragon #359. Note that the CRs go wonky from Very Old onwards. At Old they have CR 73, then at Very Old it drops to 70, and the progression continues from there as before, increasing by 6-8 per age category. I think the last four CRs should be higher by 10, which would mean that at Great Wyrm it's CR 100, which seems appropriate for 3.5's last and most powerful monster.

Regular dragons also had virtual age categories added in the ELH to advance them beyond great wyrm to push them up into epic.

This is true, but "epic dragon" is a separate category, which advances differently to regular dragons. The only ones I know of in this category are the force, prismatic and time dragons.

magic9mushroom
2019-04-10, 06:45 PM

Epic dragons have a bunch of different rules to normal dragons, though. 5 HD per age category instead of 3, bonus Improved Spell Capacity feats, and the ability to take SLA metamagic feats without specifying which SLA.

Mordaedil
2019-04-11, 05:27 AM
I think dracoliches are in that band, particularly the Forgotten Realms variants.

Mike Miller
2019-04-11, 11:15 AM
I think dracoliches are in that band, particularly the Forgotten Realms variants.

Dracoliches are not [Epic]