PDA

View Full Version : Best Melee Build?

SensFan
2007-10-01, 09:02 PM
I'm not very familiar with non-casters, but I was wondering. What is the Melee character with the biggest damage output? Let's say lvl 10 or so. Please include sources for any non-core stuff. Thanks.

Nebo_
2007-10-01, 09:12 PM
That would be a leap attacking Barbarian or Warblade - I'd say Frenzied Berzerker, but I don't think they get power attack boosts at ECL 10.

brian c
2007-10-01, 09:15 PM
Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker. Power Attack + Leap Attack + Shock Trooper. If Half-Orc, add Headlong Charge (I think that's what it's called). Not sure how you'd be doing at level 10 though, but that's generally the best damage output without going into ubercharger territory.

bugsysservant
2007-10-01, 09:16 PM
Are you talking record breaking uber chargers? Because thats a heavily
PrC-ed Barbarian. But if you want damage in the meager triple digits, a warblade would probably be the way to go.

kemmotar
2007-10-01, 09:54 PM
There is no BEST melee build...its about what you want to play...damage, multiple attacks, technique etc...there are builds for everything though an ubercharger isn't what i would recommend...you'll end up with the following options...charge-cleave or charge and not cleave since there is not opponent next to the one you just killed.

Sure the damage is amazing but that's as far as it goes...charging will be the only thing you can do...

you have to decide what kind of playstyle you want. A TWF warblade tigerclaw discipline bloodclaw master would be a quite solid build for your first meleer.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-01, 10:06 PM
If you don't have ToB and want to keep it simple a plain Psychic Warrior 10 can make a pretty effective damage dealer using his feats and psionic powers:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm

A Barbarian -1, Fighter or Warblade -1, Ranger -1 (For the PRC Track feat requirement), Psion -2, Slayer - 5 is nice if you will be leveling up several more levels you have the powers and power points of a level 6 psion at level 10 slightly lagging a psychic warrior 10 with a level 4 known power:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm

de-trick
2007-10-01, 10:19 PM
my plan for high damage
1) put highest stat Str
2)find race allowed with a stenght bonus
3)pick a class that has full BAB barbarian, fighter, whatever
4) pick the biggest 2handed weapon eg greatsword

5)big damage

kemmotar
2007-10-01, 10:27 PM
Biggest 2h weapon is actually the goliath warhammer(if i'm not mistaken).

That seems pretty easy to play...but i gotta say you would get bored if you played that...meleers are fun since you're always up front facing each enemy...Though just saying each round i full attack, then roll 2-3 attacks(at level 10) will get you bored quite soon and you wont like the char...

You should play something more meaningful...warblade would be best i think since you want full BAB and it gives you quite a few choices...maybe stone dragon discipline since you want to go for 2h weaps...

I'm guessing technical play wouldn't be your thing...but a spiked chain tripper would be fun...add improved disarm and you can have fun immobilizing your opponents, stripping them of their means to attack taking them hostage and then let your imagination go wild :smalltongue:

You could also go rogue, high dex and weapon finesse...rogues are fun to play too:smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2007-10-02, 04:03 AM
I believe Druid10 is a decent option as well...

kpenguin
2007-10-02, 04:05 AM
There are a lot of Gish builds flying around that are pretty powerful as well.

Dhavaer
2007-10-02, 04:58 AM
Warblade using Battle Leader's Charge and Leading the Charge, at level 10, wielding a lance 2 handed with Spirited Charge and Power Attacking for everything would deal about 3d8+120 before modifiers for strength or weapon enhancements.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-02, 07:19 AM
Alternatively, couldn't you use Pouncing Charge, rather than Battle Leader's charge? Guess it depends on AC's.