PDA

View Full Version : Polyphasic Sleep (Uberman, Everyman, Fuller, etc.)

Katonta
2007-10-01, 09:34 PM
I have recently learned about Polyphasic Sleep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep), (Hooray for Wikipedia links!), and have recently wanted to try it out. Though I am more than a little concerned about how it would affect my health, awareness, etc, but I've read around and most of my fears have been calmed. What I really wanted to know was if there were any other Polyphasic sleepers on the forum. I was also wondering if those who did, or are currently sleeping Polyphasically have any advice to give to a potential who wants to give Polyphasic sleep a try.

Honestly, I am very excited about this, very curious, and definitely fascinated with the idea of sleeping 20 minutes every 4 hours or so (Uberman sleep). I've heard that the adaption period can be as hard as heck, both physically and emotionally and psychologically, and I know that there is nothing that can really prepare me for it, but I've heard the reward is worth it.

Also, this is a place where Polyphasic sleepers can laugh in the face of hibernators! Those Monophasic people who waste 8-9 hours of the day sleeping! :smalltongue:

heretic
2007-10-01, 09:46 PM
Sounds like a good way to shorten you attention and life span at the same time.

Very little scientific research. I say if polyphasic sleep was better, we would have evolved to sleep that way long before we as a species even understood the significance of it.

13_CBS
2007-10-01, 09:49 PM
Whaddy mean monophasic sleepers getting 8-9 hours of sleep? I'm lucky to get 6, usually.

Jack Squat
2007-10-01, 10:01 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/28_hour_day.png

I get somewhere between 6 and 8 hours of sleep normally, max of 10 on the weekends, but that's rare.

what can I say, I'm not a morning person, I prefer to get that part of the day over with as fast as possible.

Katonta
2007-10-01, 10:04 PM
Very little scientific research. I say if polyphasic sleep was better, we would have evolved to sleep that way long before we as a species even understood the significance of it.

Which is a bit about what bothers me. But hey, we, as a people in general, tend to be lazy. Getting all your sleep in one chunk would certainly be easier than splitting it up into little pieces.

Whaddy mean monophasic sleepers getting 8-9 hours of sleep? I'm lucky to get 6, usually.
8-9 hours is supposed to be the optimal amount of sleep for an adult, I'm pretty sure, but each to his own.

And you have to love xkcd, they have something for everything. :smallbiggrin:

Brickwall
2007-10-01, 10:12 PM
8-9 hours is supposed to be the optimal amount of sleep for an adult, I'm pretty sure, but each to his own.

Optimal is for people who can afford it. :smallsigh:

Arameus
2007-10-01, 10:17 PM
Is anyone else receiving the distinct aroma of snake oil? Have fun dying early! :smallconfused:

Catch
2007-10-01, 10:25 PM

Bingo.

Polyphasic proponents point to the animal kingdom for "evidence" that this sort of sleep pattern is natural. It is natural, but only in creatures for which it would be beneficial. Horses, for example, can sleep standing up--usually for only a few minutes at a time, spread equally throughout a day. As a prey animal, this behavior is both necessary and natural.

Humans, with no natural predators, have no need of such a sleep pattern. We're free to snooze the night away without worry of being a lion's snack. (The Boogeyman, however, is another matter completely.) "Hacking" your sleep schedule is neither natural nor beneficial; it's just another product of a generation with too much too do and not enough common sense to slow down and live life as it was intended.

Icewalker
2007-10-01, 10:35 PM
Not to mention can you imagine trying to hold any kind of steady job or school life taking a couple 'nap breaks' every day? :smallbiggrin:

Interesting idea, somewhat like that 28 hour day (which doesn't work btw, the issue being that you get 6 nights of sleep for 7 nights.)

Brickwall
2007-10-01, 10:46 PM
It's too bad we can't somehow adjust things so that days are 25 hours...I think that's what humans are inclined to default to with total absence of lighting or environment change.

Serpentine
2007-10-01, 10:53 PM
I thought this said "Polyphasic Sheep". Before that I thought it was "Pyroclastic Sheep". That would be so awesome.

potatocubed
2007-10-02, 05:37 PM
Not to mention can you imagine trying to hold any kind of steady job or school life taking a couple 'nap breaks' every day? :smallbiggrin:

This is the killer. All arguments about biology and evolution aside, modern society is set up for monophasic sleeping. If you want to partake in it, you have to conform to its mores.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-10-02, 05:43 PM
Stupidest idea ever. While chances are it will take away the tiredness and give you a lot more time in a day, sleeping is not just about being tired. Your body physically needs time to recover. 20 minutes every couple of hours just doesn't cut it. You won't even go into REM sleep this way (it usually takes at least 2 hours for that to happen).

rubakhin
2007-10-02, 06:02 PM
I switched to Uberman for a while for something I was writing, in which the main character is on a similar schedule.

Treated me fine. The only complaint I had was geographically peculiar. Never, ever do this during the white nights. The weirdest thing about Uberman is not having anything to split your days up. You lose all sense of time. Being trapped in eternal twilight does not help.

I think I'm going to go back on it for a while. There's something distinctly icky about sleeping. Sleep - those little slices of death, how I loathe them. I'd like to do it as little as possible.

(Disclaimer: I am completely unhinged and have no regard for my life. YMMV.)

sktarq
2007-10-02, 06:13 PM
Humans, with no natural predators, have no need of such a sleep pattern. We're free to snooze the night away without worry of being a lion's snack.

Errr I'd have to say you're sadly wrong on this one. Tigers considered us a normal is secondary food sorce until the 1800's (when the english took to shoot any who had the habit leaving only the ones twitchy around people thus tigers evolved to not to like to eat people-except in the sunderband where up to 100 people are eaten each year (at least till poachers got there in force)) also we have plenty of fossils from early humans (and not just human ancestor species-homo sapien sapien) in africa with leopard fang sized holes in their skulls or upper vertebra. We were both a predator and prey specices but over time thought that the whole prey thing was overrated.

As for sleeping people have wildly different sleep needs. I only seem to need 4-6 hours - on the lower end if I go to bed at a regular time each night-my best time ever was during a non working summer where two (2)-(2 1/2) naps each day did the trick better than anything else I've done. REM sleep did occur too. Trying to break it down lower than that is not something I'd be willing to try just yet but who knows-maybe later. If going without food extends your life might a sleep pattern we think of highly odd work better? could do may be a evolutionary advantage even.
Please keep us informed how your trial of the idea works.

EDIT: just remembered there is decend evidence that a 20 min. "powernap" works wonders for extended high stress states and mental blocks.-hmmm interesting

Ashtar
2007-10-02, 06:15 PM
I'd say, if you have a lifestyle (or long holidays) that can allow such an experiment. Do IT!

Do IT! Don't try it. But just do it. It could be something that will change your view of the world forever and free you of the shackles of normality. You could be ein Überman!

I mean at worse, you get tired and will need a few days to get back in rhythm, no damage done.

I've found that doing transcendental meditation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_Meditation) really helps me.

DraPrime
2007-10-02, 09:00 PM
I could never do this, even if I wanted to. Too much stuff going on. Half my conversations would be like this:

Friend: Hey Dan you why are you leaving?
Me: Cus I got to take a 20 minute nap, that's why.
Friend: What???? At an Iron Maiden concert! Are you crazy?
Me: Silence you sleepy heathen!

Thanatos 51-50
2007-10-02, 09:13 PM
I have one helluva time adjusting from diurnal to nocturnal sleep cycles and vice-cersa. One weekend, I was just failing at everything and took numerous short naps, throughout the weekend. No sense of time does WONDERs to jack up your perspective on the world.

I can only imagine how little good for you a prolonged cycle of this would be.
That meaning - not.

Katonta
2007-10-02, 10:15 PM
Honestly, this is one of those things that I've gotten so interested in it that I have to try it, no matter the outcome. If I succeed and it works, than good for me. If I succeed and it doesn't work, than oh well, better to have tried and proven false than to have never tried at all. Thankfully I have a science teacher that would be willing to let me to tucker down in an empty science lab during lunch so I could have my nap, as he's skeptical also, but not enough to prevent me from trying.

Telonius
2007-10-03, 01:43 PM
My suggestion is to talk to a film student before you try it. Even if it doesn't work, you'll have a shot at the Sundance festival.

Indon
2007-10-03, 02:38 PM
The human brain is a remarkably elastic thing, though to be honest, I would only adopt such a cycle if I had to.

I don't really know why they call it 'polyphasic', though. There are multiple phases of standard sleep as well.

sktarq
2007-10-05, 03:14 PM
Okay with my experiences last nnight I'd say it just may be possible to dream (so probably REM cycle) within only a few minutes of falling asleep. So you may be able to pull this whole thing off without totally zoinking your memory centres. *wanders away twitching*