PDA

View Full Version : Next week somebody new DMs our AL game...

ZorroGames
2019-04-10, 06:52 PM
I am planning to use my newly third level character at Tier 1 (Shadow Sorcerer 1/Paladin 2) and wanted some thoughts on spell selection.

Open to input.

Advise away...

GreyBlack
2019-04-11, 02:21 AM
I am planning to use my newly third level character at Tier 1 (Shadow Sorcerer 1/Paladin 2) and wanted some thoughts on spell selection.

Open to input.

Advise away...

Before I make any suggestions, can I ask what build you're going for? Ratios on paladin/sorcerer?

ZorroGames
2019-04-11, 04:46 AM
Before I make any suggestions, can I ask what build you're going for? Ratios on paladin/sorcerer?

Paladin 2 - Sorcerer 5 to 7 - then maybe Paladin 4 - finish Sorcerer.

I never plan in advance past Tier 3, Level 12, on any character.

Modeled on this example. Quote from PeteNutButter Guide:

You might call this a Spell Smiter, a holy warrior whose heritage imparts them with magical power.

A sorcerer who dips paladin gains a fighting style and smite, as well as potentially extra atack and aura of protection. This is among best multiclasses in 5e currently. With just two levels of paladin the sorcerer becomes melee capable with the ability to quicken spells and follow it up with a smite, or GFB/BB smite. This combination is popular with 2 or 6 levels of paladin, but can really work in any spread. It is in action economy heaven as a gish that can hold it's own and has lots of slots for smiting. It is also very tanky with ability to quicken cure wounds on itself, and ability to cast shield spell. It's hard to screw this up.
Spoiler: E.g.
Hide
Human V. (Resilient Con)
Paladin 2/Sorcerer 5+
16, 8, 16, 8, 8, 16

One level behind on spell slots compared to a full caster and two levels behind on spells known. This is a master class gish that lacks the saving throw boost of its paladin 6 cousin, but returns dividends in higher level spells and smiting harder and faster. A normal level 11 paladin would add 1d8 to all his attacks, this Spell Smiter just quickens Hold Monster and hits it with a GFB (adding str and cha) for a huge automatic crit smite.