PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Neraphim thrown weapon (annulat) build help

CMagnum
2019-04-11, 02:44 AM
Hello playground! As always, a big thank you for taking time for your wonderful ideas and input in an effort to help me out.

I am about to start a new campaign and had been thinking of playing a swift hunter. Now, after looking into a lot of different things (yes I have seen the swift hunter handbook, scout handbook and ranger handbook etc) I have found a few different things confusing and could use some help. I really like the idea of a thrown weapon build and I think it could fit into our melee-centric party.

I like the idea of playing a neraphim: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2
and using their Xena warrior princess weapon the Annulat: https://www.realmshelps.net/stores/weapons/Annulat

I have never played a thrown weapon character and haven't seen one in play either.

Now looking at a ranger combat style, you can choose either two weapon fighting or archery. I believe rapid shot would work since it only specifies ranged weapon. However, with the swift hunter build I would much prefer manyshot to rapid shot (I think)? Manyshot specifies arrows however, would you just rely on a hand waive from the DM or as a friend pointed out to me that it may be harder to throw giant frisbees as freely as knocking an extra arrow onto your bow (sorry, don't want to start a real life versus D&D debate, not on my agend).

As I really am in the dark on this subject of thrown weapons I would like any info/ build advice you could give me. Would it be better to go into bloodstorm blade and master thrower for this type of character and leave the swift hunter alone?

SPECIFICS: I want to play a thrown weapon character and need help on the build.
Race:Neraphim
Weapon: Annulat
Stats (rolled): 11, 12, 14, 14, 14, 18.
Setting: homebrew.
One flaw allowed.
Starting level 5
Play till level 10

Thanks for all the ideas and input.
CMagnus

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-04-11, 03:54 AM
I'd certainly check out the Bloodstorm Blade prestige class. It's all about throwing weapons (and while the class is designed to let you throw any melee weapon, all the class features work with normal thrown weapons too). To qualify and make the best use of the features, I'd recommend at least a little Warblade as the base class.

EDIT: is the weapon you're using one-handed/light? If so, and especially if it's a light weapon, some Two Weapon Fighting feats would be an excellent idea (Oversized TWF lets you do it even if it's one-handed instead of light). There's also the Tiger Claw discipline.

CMagnum
2019-04-11, 04:45 AM
The Annulat. (https://www.realmshelps.net/stores/weapons/Annulat) is a thrown exotic weapon which is usable by the neraph.

So I guess my real question is how to make a good thrown weapon build then within those paramaters. In my first post, in the Neraph race link, one real interesting ability is the camouflage ability that I think could be a great part of a thrown weapon build.

Neraph Camouflage (Ex): When charging an opponent or when using a thrown weapon, neraphim can use a technique known as motion camouflage (also called neraph camouflage by other races), which predatory insects use to trick prey into thinking they are stationary even though they are moving closer. The target creature can be fooled into believing that the charging neraph or the neraph's thrown weapon is in fact not moving closer, or moving closer only very slowly.

A neraph may make only one camouflage attack per enemy per encounter (once a foe sees the attack in action, the foe can discern it for what it is for the duration of that combat). Creatures that are subject to a neraph charge or who are targeted by a weapon thrown by a neraph may not apply their Dexterity bonuses to their Armor Class. All conditions that pertain when a foe cannot apply his Dexterity bonus to Armor Class also pertain to the neraph's attack (for instance, a sneak attack could also be made with this attack, if the neraph can make such an attack).

Saintheart
2019-04-12, 01:06 AM
The Annulat. (https://www.realmshelps.net/stores/weapons/Annulat) is a thrown exotic weapon which is usable by the neraph.

So I guess my real question is how to make a good thrown weapon build then within those paramaters. In my first post, in the Neraph race link, one real interesting ability is the camouflage ability that I think could be a great part of a thrown weapon build.

Neraph Camouflage (Ex): When charging an opponent or when using a thrown weapon, neraphim can use a technique known as motion camouflage (also called neraph camouflage by other races), which predatory insects use to trick prey into thinking they are stationary even though they are moving closer. The target creature can be fooled into believing that the charging neraph or the neraph's thrown weapon is in fact not moving closer, or moving closer only very slowly.

A neraph may make only one camouflage attack per enemy per encounter (once a foe sees the attack in action, the foe can discern it for what it is for the duration of that combat). Creatures that are subject to a neraph charge or who are targeted by a weapon thrown by a neraph may not apply their Dexterity bonuses to their Armor Class. All conditions that pertain when a foe cannot apply his Dexterity bonus to Armor Class also pertain to the neraph's attack (for instance, a sneak attack could also be made with this attack, if the neraph can make such an attack).

Totally random observations and thoughts:

(1) Neraph Camouflage is probably a lot more useful on an ubercharger build than a thrown weapon build, mainly because you can single-ability the hell out of that via Power Attack. An opponent with DEX denied to AC is extra room you've got to nerf via Power Attack, and Combat Brute's Momentum Swing ties into this because it basically requires that you charge an opponent in the first round. But then, as said, you're focusing on the thrown weapon.

(2) The Annulat has one or two interesting things it can do, but at the end of the day it's basically a thrown short sword with a 19-20 critical threat range. Most of your damage from it is coming via the bonuses you stack on the back than its damage dice. And honestly the best course is probably via Bloodstorm Blade and then pile on the STR bonuses via Power Throw and similar.

(3) Quick Draw, Brutal Throw, Power Throw, etc if you're going down the STR path.

(4) Rogue build for sneak attack if you're going down the flatfooted-opponent route. Don't bother increasing the range you can throw at, most sneak attack won't work outside 30 feet away anyhow. Most rogue handbooks will show you how to optimise sneak attack damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156350-3-5-The-Rogue-Handbook-A-Fistful-of-d6&p=8711233#post8711233), but it's a trick you'll only be able to pull once against each opponent in combat. And it won't work anywhere near as well on the array of creatures that are immune to criticals and therefore sneak attack also, no matter whether you've denied their DEX bonus to AC.