PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Dark Way Questions

Gen Melchett
2019-04-11, 10:54 AM
The spell Dark Way states:

You create a ribbonlike, weightless, unbreakable bridge. A dark way must be anchored at both ends to solid objects, but otherwise can be at any angle. Like a wall of force (PH 298), it must be continuous and unbroken when formed. It is typically used to cross a chasm or a hazardous space. Creatures can move on a dark way without penalty, since it is no more slippery than a typical dungeon floor.
A dark way can support a maximum of 200 pounds per caster level. Creatures that cause the total weight on a dark way to exceed this limit fall through it as if it weren’t there. You never fall through a dark way unless your own weight exceeds the spell’s maximum capacity.
How do you decide which creatures are exceeding the weight limit? For example: there is a dark way with a weight limit of 600lbs and two 200lbs creatures are standing on it. A third creature weighing 300lbs steps on the dark way. Who falls through? I don’t think it’s explicitly stated in the spell but I’d rule the third creature.
What if the weight limit is exceeded by an object? For example: the caster of a dark way spell is standing on it. It has a weight limit of 1000 lbs and the character casts blockade creating a 2000lbs block of wood on it.

You call a cube of solid wood, 5 feet on a side, into being. The cube must be created upon solid ground in an empty square. If no solid surface exists that is large enough for the cube to fit on, or if no adjacent square is empty, the spell fails.
The cube weighs 2,000 pounds. It has a hardness of 5 and 600 hit points, and it completely fills one 5-foot square. Multiple cubes can be stacked. If it is pushed into water, the cube floats.
Does the block fall through or can the caster not even cast it because the dark way is not “solid ground”?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-04-11, 02:35 PM
1. The creature who upon stepping onto it would cause the limit to be exceeded, is the one that falls through. The others already on it weren't causing it to exceed that, it was the most recent one to step on that caused it to go over the limit.

2. It's not solid ground, even if it wasn't over the weight limit.

Gen Melchett
2019-04-11, 06:54 PM
1. Makes sense, thanks!

2. Really? Why is it not considered solid ground? Is that term defined somewhere?

I won't even ask what happens when a bunch of creatures teleport on all at once.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-04-11, 06:55 PM
The fact that it could be solid ground, but may not be under certain circumstances, IMO disqualifies it.

If multiple creatures all appear on it at once and put it over the limit, they all fall through.

Thurbane
2019-04-11, 08:44 PM
The section on Spell Descriptions does say the following (bolding mine).

A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it.

As the block of wood exceeds the weight limit of Dark Way to support, it does not qualify as "a surface capable of supporting it".

Gen Melchett
2019-04-11, 08:52 PM
Yeah that seems pretty relevant! I think it settles the question of summoning a block on a dark way that can't support it. Thanks!