PDA

View Full Version : Teleportation Circle / Low ceiling

tieren
2019-04-11, 11:02 AM
So I'm working on tricking out the home base of my halfling PC and want to add a permanent teleportation circle (don't get distracted discussing the wisdom of that choice).

I am scaling most of the facility for small sized creatures, so a 5-6 foot ceiling height is the default (some spaces are larger for grand effect or entertaining medium sized guests).

My question is, what happens if a Medium (or Large) creature tries to teleport onto the circle and there isn't enough head room? Does the space count as "occupied"?

I'm guessing a medium creature would be shunted to the ground, maybe coming out prone. If a large creature can't squeeze into the space what would happen to them?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-11, 11:13 AM
Likely the same thing that happens with any other teleportation effect: The creature is teleported to the closest unoccupied space, or the spell fails.

Old-school DnD basically had telefragging collision built-in, but they probably decided that was either a cheap tactic against enemies, or unfun to players.

tieren
2019-04-11, 12:06 PM
Likely the same thing that happens with any other teleportation effect: The creature is teleported to the closest unoccupied space, or the spell fails.

Old-school DnD basically had telefragging collision built-in, but they probably decided that was either a cheap tactic against enemies, or unfun to players.

For the medium creatures do you agree the "closest unoccupied space" would be the ones in the same room where they would fit (i.e. prone), or would they shunt away to the closest spot they could appear in the same orientation (i.e. vertical)?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-11, 12:08 PM
For the medium creatures do you agree the "closest unoccupied space" would be the ones in the same room where they would fit (i.e. prone), or would they shunt away to the closest spot they could appear in the same orientation (i.e. vertical)?

For consistency, it'd be a vertical requirement, but I'd have no problem making a ruling on the spot that the creature takes 1d4 damage and is prone.

But that ruling would be what "feels" right. It wouldn't have any basis in fact (where the vertical requirement does).

JackPhoenix
2019-04-11, 12:29 PM
Small and medium creatures have the same space requirements.

5' is enough for medium creature. It won't even need to get prone. Large creature would be squeezing in, as the space is too small for it, but large enough for creature one size category smaller.

tieren
2019-04-11, 01:05 PM
Small and medium creatures have the same space requirements.

5' is enough for medium creature. It won't even need to get prone. Large creature would be squeezing in, as the space is too small for it, but large enough for creature one size category smaller.

I was assuming medium creatures would need 2 cubes vertically, personal minecraft bias I suppose.

Segev
2019-04-11, 01:07 PM
I'm amused by the mental image of a Medium creature teleporting in, and his head bouncing down as if he'd just banged it on the ceiling trying to stand up too fast, because that's exactly what it felt like to him.

tieren
2019-04-11, 01:36 PM
I'm amused by the mental image of a Medium creature teleporting in, and his head bouncing down as if he'd just banged it on the ceiling trying to stand up too fast, because that's exactly what it felt like to him.

Thats basically what I am picturing, and would likely describe, even without actual hp damage:

Medium creature bangs head and appears in space a bit stooped over (unless medium creature on sheet is shorter than ceiling height).

Large creature shunted to lying on the floor squeezed into space a bit too small.

Huge creature (if it were to ever come up), shunted to the 2 story library installed two floors down.

Its been a fun design challenge for me as I am 6'2" IRL so picturing 6 foot ceilings even seems a bit claustrophobic, but to a 3 foot halfling it should feel like I do in a room with 12 foot ceilings, which is to say pretty spacious.

I'm designing the whole place inside the 30 foot cube of a Demiplane spell, but using a 10x10 grid of 3 foot squares. Even threw in a few tiny sized doors the halfling could squeeze through but a medium creature wouldn't be able to follow.

Sigreid
2019-04-11, 01:41 PM
Set the ceiling over the circle at 3.5 feet and make sure the nearest space that would hold a medium creature is a locked cell.

tieren
2019-04-11, 01:47 PM
Set the ceiling over the circle at 3.5 feet and make sure the nearest space that would hold a medium creature is a locked cell.

I'll have a different demiplane I use for prisoner storage. I doubt anyone capable of casting plane shift or demiplane is going to be slowed down by a locked cell and I wouldn't want a trap that will blow up my home or anything.

I'm toying with the idea of making the sigil sequence widely public knowledge and opening it up as a trans-dimensional inn, so I can retire, be hospitable, and still hear fantastic stories from all over without needing to be stuck in a particular city. (In which case I'd need to relocate the design for the circle from my lab to the entry foyer).

Sigreid
2019-04-11, 01:57 PM
I'll have a different demiplane I use for prisoner storage. I doubt anyone capable of casting plane shift or demiplane is going to be slowed down by a locked cell and I wouldn't want a trap that will blow up my home or anything.

I'm toying with the idea of making the sigil sequence widely public knowledge and opening it up as a trans-dimensional inn, so I can retire, be hospitable, and still hear fantastic stories from all over without needing to be stuck in a particular city. (In which case I'd need to relocate the design for the circle from my lab to the entry foyer).

I was just thinking giving you time to screen them.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-11, 02:35 PM

Make sure to get it Hallowed, maybe with Tongues? It'd be quite the hangout with that kind of setup. The only catch is that Familiars and Centaurs would burst into flames, so I'd put a warning label on the sigil address.

tieren
2019-04-11, 09:43 PM
Make sure to get it Hallowed, maybe with Tongues? It'd be quite the hangout with that kind of setup. The only catch is that Familiars and Centaurs would burst into flames, so I'd put a warning label on the sigil address.

Good idea, I was already looking at private sanctum to block divination for guest privacy.

Unoriginal
2019-04-12, 10:22 AM
Medium creatures can squeeze to be in a Small space, with no consequences except moving costs more.

I'd say they'd just hit their head on the ceiling harmlessly.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-12, 10:45 AM
Medium creatures can squeeze to be in a Small space, with no consequences except moving costs more.

I'd say they'd just hit their head on the ceiling harmlessly.

Small space is the same as medium space. No need for squeezing. We can thank small PCs for that.

Funny thing is, tiny is the smallest creature size there is (even insects from swarms are tiny), so if a hole is smaller than 2.5', nothing without Amorphous trait can get through by RAW (as creatures can only squeeze into space for creture one size smaller than they are).

tieren
2019-04-12, 11:22 AM
I do feel like there should be one more size category smaller than tiny. A caster can use Enlarge/reduce to make a small race into a tiny creature for a while, but what size holes can it then fit in? RAM it seems you should be able to slip under door cracks like a mouse or a cockroach, but you should still be 1.5' tall.

Thinking of what spells I can set permanently in a transdimensional Bed And Breakfast:

Hallow, w/ tongues for communication
Private Sanctum to prevent divination in the area for privacy
Forbiddance with a carve out of unaffected area at the PTC for entry where I want and not into a private area.
Permanent Teleportation Circle - for access by Plane shift as well as Demi-plane (lower level spell more customers).

I'm thinking the first floor would be a common room type area with 12 foot ceilings, probably with a triage center in one corner to address grievous injuries if a wizard was using the spell to save his party (stock some potions and restoration scrolls and things).

Second floor could have a few rooms for a party of 4-5 to be kept comfortable and safe. (6 foot ceilings)

Third floor could have some workshop and crafting space, a forge, alchemy kit, workbenches, reagents, etc...(6 foot ceilings)

Fourth floor would be my Characters private apartment (6 foot ceilings).

For the cost of one magic item or a certain number of gems, a party could shift out of anywhere, get healed, fed, cleaned, rested, and ready to head out the next day to wherever they like.

I could sell attuned forks and the sigil sequence in Major cities or universities for 500 gp worth of diamonds each to just get to the place. (PC LOVES gems). Not too unreasonable in my opinion for a true sanctuary to save a party.