PDA

View Full Version : Minotaur Barbarian

emrld
2019-04-11, 11:12 AM
This is my first game of dnd, and we are doing a one shot. We are level 15. I was thinking of doing a minotaur barbarian with inteligence being its 3rd highest stat because it is a professor. How does this sound?

Wildarm
2019-04-11, 11:31 AM
Minotaur makes a good barbarian. 1st time player starting at level 15 might be overwhelming but barbarian is a pretty easy class to run. That aside you'll have a hard time fitting in high intelligence into a barbarian. They already want max strength and good dex and con. You could probably manage 12 Intelligence but you'd need to dump wisdom and constitution. Dumping wisdom is a very bad idea for a barbarian. You'll get mind controlled or paralyzed a lot at level 15.

strangebloke
2019-04-11, 11:35 AM
This is my first game of dnd, and we are doing a one shot. We are level 15. I was thinking of doing a minotaur barbarian with inteligence being its 3rd highest stat because it is a professor. How does this sound?

Sounds good! Maybe not optimal, but by level 15, you've got a lot of breathing room. Are you asking for specific build advice? If so, I would highly recommend 1 level of knowledge cleric to really get the 'professor' vibe just right. Expertise in two knowledge skills and some minor cantrips.

So yeah:

16/14/16/14/8/8
to start with.

Grab Great Weapon Master (GWM) at fourth, then get +2 to Strength twice. Wear half-plate if you want to be optimal, but if you want style points just wear professorly robes and use the unarmored AC (2 less than half-plate). Grab a level of knowledge cleric somewhere. Pick up guidance (to boost your skills even higher and to buff your initiative) and mending (to keep your professorly robes all nice).

I'd reccomend GWM over Polearm-Master(PAM) because you'll usually have a good use for your reaction already, and GWM gives you a nice bonus action pretty regularly. Of course you can just take both.

For subclasses, go bear totem. It's very good at that level and very simple to play.

Lastly, you'll want some defenses against mind control type affects. Stick close to the party paladin if there is one, and if there's a party bard, make sure to save any inspiration they give you for your Wisdom/Charisma saves. If you aren't raging, cast bless or heroism on yourself for further help.

Sparky McDibben
2019-04-11, 11:44 AM
You could just make them with the "Sage" background to get them the professor-ness.

I like it; just FYI GWM means Great Weapon Master (a feat, basically ups your damage for a lower chance to hit), and PAM means Polearm Master (a feat).

CheddarChampion
2019-04-11, 12:12 PM
16/14/16/14/8/8

I think that's a bit high for point buy...

But I'd do a very similar build:
Starting stats are 16/14/14/14/9/8
Then get GWM, Resilient (Wisdom), and Strength +2
Final stats are 18/14/14/14/10/8
A bit less likely to hit with a bit less damage, but much better wisdom saves (+5 instead of -1).