PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the octopus statblock

Seak
2019-04-11, 12:39 PM
The octopus statblock on the srd seems to have some inconsistencies that I'm having trouble explaining. Due to its small size, +1 bonus to strength, and 1 base attack bonus, I expect it to have -2 grapple, but it instead has +2. I wondered if improved grab or multiple arms might cause this, but giant octopus does not receive the same bonus. Is this just an unlisted racial bonus for the octopus? Is this simply a mistake?

Telonius
2019-04-11, 01:00 PM
My guess is they either forgot to factor in the -4 Size modifier, or forgot to mention a racial bonus to Grapple. (There is a mention in Sword and Fist, a 3.0 book, that suggests giving a creature a +4 bonus if they have multiple limbs).

Blue Jay
2019-04-11, 01:02 PM
Yes, the statblock has the wrong number listed. For some reason the designers gave the squid and giant squid a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks, but not the octopus or giant octopus. That always seemed like a questionable decision to me, but that's how it is.

However, note the official primary source rule as it applies to monsters:

A monster’s statistics block supersedes the descriptive text.

I think this rule is in place specifically because it makes it easier on DMs to just use the printed numbers, rather than having to worry about correcting all the math errors (which are quite common).

So, using this rule, the number printed in the stat block is official, even though the math is unjustified. I usually interpret it as the Small octopus having a +4 racial bonus (which I would have given it anyway, even if the math error wasn't there).

zlefin
2019-04-11, 01:07 PM
I'd guess sloppy editing; both squid entries have an explicit +4 racial bonus to grapple; and imo the same should apply to an octopus. probably they meant to include them for the octopus, but forgot to write it down, and in one case it made it into the statblock, the other didn't.