PDA

View Full Version : Awakened shrub companion

stewstew5
2019-04-11, 04:07 PM
How would I be able to go about getting a shrub as a companion (think Familiar or Steed) without having to get to 9th level as druid and re-charm it every 30 days?

P.S. I'd rather it be familiar or steed like rules-wise e.g. resummonable, share spells and telepathic communication

Hruken
2019-04-11, 05:29 PM
By having a permissive DM or being very good at begging.

That being said, as a DM, if probably allow it as a familiar with find familiar if you have a good reason for it. Maybe lower its hit points a little to be more in line with the other base choices. Pact of the chain it would be fine as is as a familiar.

Particle_Man
2019-04-11, 05:30 PM
Ask your DM? I don't think it would break the game to have one, so long as it replaced a class feature (so instead of the familiar your wizard would get or instead of the animal companion your ranger would get).

nickl_2000
2019-04-11, 05:51 PM
1 level in druid and a staff of the woodlands would do it.

Grog Logs
2019-04-11, 06:31 PM
I second Hruken's opinion and "rules." Unless the DM felt that it would break the tone of the game, I think it would be very silly to say no to this reasonable request.

In one of my Campaigns, I'd have to have a discussion about tone with that PC and maybe the other Players, even though that one has a Flumph PC. In my other Campaign, I would have awarded Inspiration and designed at least one side quest to highlight this unique familiar.

Actually, I might even allow it as a reflavored Urchin backgrounds pet (instead of a mouse). Even workout Find Familiar, as long as good RP reasons. If 1d4-1 damage is going to break your campaign, then you're doing it wrong. Seriously, the only reasonable objection that I can think of is tone. And, as a DM I am very focused on expected Party damage and game statistics.

Griswold
2019-04-11, 09:13 PM
How would I be able to go about getting a shrub as a companion (think Familiar or Steed) without having to get to 9th level as druid and re-charm it every 30 days?

P.S. I'd rather it be familiar or steed like rules-wise e.g. resummonable, share spells and telepathic communication

You can get a pot of Awakening? It creates an awakened shrub which is friendly toward you. You don't need to re-charm it, or have levels in anything.

Don't know about making it familiar or steed-like, though. If I were your DM I'd let you just summon one with Find Familiar. It's both small and a CR 0 creature.

krugaan
2019-04-11, 09:17 PM
"I'd like to buy a saddle."

"Excellent! We have many find saddle's for sale, sir, at a very low price. The finest quality, the lowest prices! What sort of mighty steed is in need of a saddle?"

"My shrub."

"... get the hell out of my store."

stewstew5
2019-04-11, 09:19 PM
You can get a pot of Awakening? It creates an awakened shrub which is friendly toward you. You don't need to re-charm it, or have levels in anything.

Don't know about making it familiar or steed-like, though. If I were your DM I'd let you just summon one with Find Familiar. It's both small and a CR 0 creature.

The pot is a good idea, a great one even. It's cheap enough to be a starting item, and if the shrub dies (which is what i am most worried about) you could re-plant it and get your local druid to bolster it and voila one resurrected best friend

Particle_Man
2019-04-11, 09:26 PM
That leads to interesting metaphysical questions. Is the second shrub the same as, or a seedling child of, the first? The Groot question.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-11, 09:45 PM
That leads to interesting metaphysical questions. Is the second shrub the same as, or a seedling child of, the first? The Groot question.

The Groot question was answered by Gunn...

Luccan
2019-04-12, 12:15 PM
The answer is when it dies it turns into space dust

VonKaiserstein
2019-04-12, 12:31 PM
Is not the saddle of a shrub mount simply a tree house?

Unless it's a tumbleweed, I really question how fast it'll be able to go.

If it is a tumbleweed, I question how you're going to ride it.

Either way, I am eager to hear the explanations.

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-12, 01:04 PM
Is not the saddle of a shrub mount simply a tree house?

My druid is going to awaken a tree and ride it in a tree house, thank you.

hymer
2019-04-12, 01:39 PM
Then awaken a tiger, and come up with a very long club song, and I think you've got it...
https://i.imgur.com/o7XWVuV.jpg

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-04-12, 02:27 PM

Name him babayaga.

stewstew5
2019-04-12, 03:54 PM

That’s what I’m most worried about