PDA

View Full Version : The Humble Whip

Garfunion
2019-04-11, 04:46 PM
I want to make a monk that uses the whip for their attacks. Would it be an unreasonable request to as the DM to change my short sword proficiency to the whip instead?

Edit 1
I’m also planning on picking up spell sniper(booming blade).

Edit 2
I’m calling it the Silent Whip Discipline, you feel the sting of the whip but hear no sound. That is until you take your first step CRACK. At later levels I’ll role play the extra thunder damage on the whip as “normal” damage.

Kane0
2019-04-11, 04:47 PM
No, why would it be?

Sparky McDibben
2019-04-11, 04:50 PM
I wish the whip did more in 5e. Like, it's just a really cool and thematic item. Has anybody done anything nifty with it?

Garfunion
No, why would it be?
Because I’m planning on using spell sniper(booming blade) with it.

nickl_2000
Why not just be a Kensei?

Garfunion
2019-04-11, 04:51 PM
Why not just be a Kensei?
Not the theme I’m going for. I plan on taking the 4 elements archetype.

nickl_2000
2019-04-11, 04:55 PM
Not the theme I’m going for. I plan on taking the 4 elements archetype.

Well if you are going 4 elements I would allow a whip. It would at least slightly make up for the book optimal choice of monk subclasses

Misterwhisper
2019-04-11, 05:00 PM
Because I’m planning on using spell sniper(booming blade) with it.

Why bother being a monk at all if you plan to use a non monk weapon., a non monk spell, with a feat they don’t need combined with a combat strategy they don’t work well with?

Garfunion
2019-04-11, 05:05 PM
Why bother being a monk at all if you plan to use a non monk weapon., it will be a monk weapon if I can trade it for short sword.

a non monk spell, with a feat they don’t need combined with a combat strategy they don’t work well with? I need the feat to make the reach feature of the whip work with booming blade, spell sniper increase the range of booming blade to 10ft instead of 5ft.

Being a monk for the thematic mobility.

Zuras
2019-04-11, 05:14 PM
If you just want to be 4 Elements whip dude, ask your DM if you can just trade what you want (range 10’ Booming Blade) for your first elemental discipline and follow it up with a bonus action unarmed strike at 7th level like an Eldritch Knight.

I doubt that ends up overpowered, and it might help you feel elemental while saving some Ki.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-11, 05:15 PM
it will be a monk weapon if I can trade it for short sword.

I need the feat to make the reach feature of the whip work with booming blade, spell sniper increase the range of booming blade to 10ft instead of 5ft.

The concern he's bringing up is:

The Whip reaches out to 10 feet, and Unarmed Strike requires you to be within 5 feet.
Unarmed Strike requires you to make the Attack action, and it's incompatible with cantrips (even ones that attack, like Booming Blade)
The entire thing requires multiple investments, that inevitably would be better represented with another class.

For example, I could be a Draconic or Storm Sorcerer (after getting armor from something) and accomplish all of the same things you're looking for, and maybe more. You could replace the Four Elements Monk and instead go Storm Herald Barbarian and use Strength and be more optimized (which is saying something as the 2nd worse Barbarian class using a whip). Or replace Booming Blade and the Whip for Shillelagh for a truly optimized class that you could see some good use.

Monk + Whip just doesn't have anything going for it. I'd work with your DM about creating some kind of special circumstance for your build, as your Disengage/Unarmed Strike/Flurry of Blows features will have no benefit if you're using the whip's reach. That's not necessarily saying that it's too strong, or even too weak, but rather it's entirely redundant and pointless.

It'd be like asking if you could be Proficient in Medium Armor, while losing all of the unarmored benefits of the Monk. So talk to your DM if you could change some of the Monk features to make it work.

Misterwhisper
2019-04-11, 05:24 PM
it will be a monk weapon if I can trade it for short sword.

I need the feat to make the reach feature of the whip work with booming blade, spell sniper increase the range of booming blade to 10ft instead of 5ft.

Then just play a high elf or arcane trickster rogue with 1 level of fighter.

Also monks are probably the class in the game that needs stats more than anyone else and this build needs at least one, if not 2 unless you are a high elf or some uncommon race.

Bloodcloud
2019-04-11, 05:36 PM
I concur, monk is just avout the worst possible class to do that. Rogue gets a lot of mobility, and works far better for this combo.

Garfunion
2019-04-11, 05:36 PM
The concern he's bringing up is:

The Whip reaches out to 10 feet, and Unarmed Strike requires you to be within 5 feet.
Unarmed Strike requires you to make the Attack action, and it's incompatible with cantrips (even ones that attack, like Booming Blade)
The entire thing requires multiple investments, that inevitably would be better represented with another class.

For example, I could be a Draconic or Storm Sorcerer and accomplish all of the same things you're looking for, and maybe more. You could replace the Four Elements Monk and instead go Storm Herald Barbarian and use Strength and be more optimized (which is saying something as the 2nd worse Barbarian class using a whip). Or replace Booming Blade and the Whip for Shillelagh for a truly optimized class that you could see some good use.

Monk + Whip just doesn't have anything going for it. I'd work with your DM about creating some kind of special circumstance for your build, as your Disengage/Unarmed Strike/Flurry of Blows features will have no benefit if you're using the whip's reach. That's not necessarily saying that it's too strong, or even too weak, but rather it's entirely redundant and pointless.

It'd be like asking if you could be Proficient in Medium Armor, while losing all of the unarmored benefits of the Monk. So talk to your DM if you could change some of the Monk features to make it work.
I’m not looking to min/max the output of the character per say.
I did look at the storm sorcerer first for this build but many of the mobility spells require concentration, while the monk’s mobility is passive.
I’m just trying to make it as legal as possible. Only requesting a weapon proficiency replacement.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-11, 05:40 PM
I did look at the storm sorcerer first for this build but many of the mobility spells require concentration, while the monk’s mobility is passive.
I’m just trying to make it as legal as possible. Only requesting a weapon proficiency replacement.

The Storm Sorcerer gains mobility every time he cast's a spell. You cast a spell, move 10 feet while flying with Disengage as a Bonus Action. Sure, you can't do that with cantrips (like Booming Blade), but that's what the Whip is for. You CAN do it with something like Earth Tremor, so you can stomp a crater into the ground and then fly away.

As for making it legal, there's no way of making the Whip an explicit Monk Weapon without being a Kensei Monk. If you want to gain proficiency into it, your best choice would probably be to go through either a single level into Fighter or Ranger.

Fighter will also get you the Dueling Fighting Style, which will add +2 damage to your whip.

Ranger will also provide Favored Enemy and Favored Terrain bonuses, which fits the concept well but doesn't inherently improve the build beyond that.

If you do decide to take the Ranger, I'd recommend taking a second level, as the spellcasting it provides you would help the concept a lot (being able to absorb elements and then hit the enemy back with it, for example).

-----------

Asking your DM is perfectly reasonable, though.

Kane0
2019-04-11, 05:43 PM
Sounds like you have a cool concept, sounds fine to me!

Garfunion
2019-04-11, 05:56 PM
Sounds like you have a cool concept, sounds fine to me!
Well I got the idea from Castlevania(tv series).
What would the child of Sypha and Trevor fight like. Trevor was very mobile/acrobatic and did a lot of falling. Sypha used a bit of elemental magic. So a whip using 4 elements monk came to mind.

Human(variant)
Ritual caster
4th level spell sniper

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-11, 05:59 PM
What would the child of Sypha and Trevor fight like. Trevor was very mobile/acrobatic and did a lot of falling. Sypha used a bit of elemental magic. So a whip using 4 elements monk came to mind.

Trevor seems a lot more like a Monster Slayer Ranger to me, honestly. He knows how to deal with monsters pretty well, and he's hard to pin down despite being fairly mundane.

Misterwhisper
2019-04-11, 06:00 PM

Or arcane trickster
Or bladesinger
Or swords bard
Or certain eldritch knights
Or heck even a hexblade

You could take the mobile feat and play it with pretty much any caster.

Contrast
2019-04-11, 06:06 PM

You're aware casting Booming Blade means you don't activate your bonus action unarmed attacks right?

I'm also not quite as confident as you about the monks mobility being 'passive'. Most of their extra mobility options other than the increase speed, slowfall and wall running require expending Ki. In general in most combats a rogue is going to feel much more mobile than a monk because their mobility is actually at will.

I think your time would be better spent trying to convince your DM to make changes to the 4E monk subclass if thats what you're planning on doing. There's even Water Whip if you need reach.

In general I'd be inclined to object because this is a kensai thing and your rationale being 'I want to combo mechanically but don't want to acquire mechanically' is...not compelling but you're also planning on doing something which probably makes your character worse so...eh (honestly this is probably another reason I'd object if I was your DM but anyway).

Why are you even asking us though - you could have just asked you DM in the time its take you to read this response.

strangebloke
2019-04-11, 06:08 PM
You do you, but seriously there is no reason for this to be a monk. You're not using any monk features at all here, except for fast movement.

Like, in order to get this working, you need Spell Sniper, you need to get some kind of spellcasting (so you need to be a high elf or tiefling or firbolg, basically) and you need special support from your DM to get the whip as a monk weapon. And it technically doesn't work anyway since spell sniper reads: "When you cast a spell that requires a ranged attack roll, the spell's range is doubled." The attack roll for booming blade is a melee attack roll.

Even allowing the homebrew, there are better ways to do this.

If you did this as a storm sorc, you could skip spell sniper completely and grab distant metamagic and float around the battlefield like a champ. Run in, cast Distant Thunderclap (hits 12 squares) or distant booming blade or just booming blade, and then float away. Oh, and you'd have better AC, and lots of spellcasting!

An AT rogue would have better AC, deal more damage, and be faster! A high elf swashbuckler would always get to go early on initiative.

A valor/swords bard could cast longstrider on himself for mobility, and actually would have whip proficiency.

This monk couldn't use flurry of blows, couldn't max their unarmored AC quickly, and couldn't use flurry of blows.

I feel like there's definitely something I'm missing from a thematic angle here that is tying you to the monk class.

Garfunion
2019-04-11, 06:12 PM
Or arcane trickster
Or bladesinger
Or swords bard
Or certain eldritch knights
Or heck even a hexblade

You could take the mobile feat and play it with pretty much any caster.
Can any of those let me run 90ft (at 9th level) up a stone wall then use my action to create a 1ft ledger to hold onto, without the use of spells? Or how about reducing fall damage without spells?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-11, 06:13 PM
If you did this as a storm sorc, you could skip spell sniper completely and grab distant metamagic and float around the battlefield like a champ. Run in, cast Distant Thunderclap (hits 12 squares) or distant booming blade or just booming blade, and then float away. Oh, and you'd have better AC, and lots of spellcasting!

Quick clarification on that: Distant Metamagic doesn't work with spells with Range-Self. It ONLY works for spells with Range 5+ or Touch. In this case, spells that center on yourself (like Thunderwave) don't inherently have a range, but they instead have an Area (which isn't enhanced by the metamagic).

JC made some mentions of this, but I'm not 100% sure if it made it into errata yet.

Additionally, Spell Sniper doesn't require a ranged attack for the range to double. It requires it to be a ranged attack to ignore cover.

Hytheter
2019-04-11, 06:19 PM
How do you even plan on qualifying for spell sniper?

Contrast
2019-04-11, 06:23 PM
Can any of those let me run 90ft (at 9th level) up a stone wall then use my action to create a 1ft ledger to hold onto, without the use of spells? Or how about reducing fall damage without spells?

A tabaxi AT could do it at level 3 if you exclude the 'without magic' caveat and 'able to fall long distance without magic' is a pretty weird character concept restriction to be fair :smallconfused: Otherwise a thief with a climbers kit could do the job.

Its fine if you just wanna play a monk but if mobility is actually your only reason you really should play a rogue.

Garfunion
2019-04-11, 06:27 PM
You do you, but seriously there is no reason for this to be a monk. You're not using any monk features at all here, except for fast movement.

Like, in order to get this working, you need Spell Sniper, you need to get some kind of spellcasting (so you need to be a high elf or tiefling or firbolg, basically) and you need special support from your DM to get the whip as a monk weapon. And it technically doesn't work anyway since spell sniper reads: "When you cast a spell that requires a ranged attack roll, the spell's range is doubled." The attack roll for booming blade is a melee attack roll.
Spell sniper only requires an attack roll not ranged attack roll. It also allows me to learn a cantrip that has an attack roll.

Misterwhisper
2019-04-11, 06:29 PM
Spell sniper only requires an attack roll not ranged attack roll. It also allows me to learn a cantrip that has an attack roll.

He is talking about the fact you do t qualify for spell sniper until level 4 asi.

Garfunion
2019-04-11, 06:30 PM
How do you even plan on qualifying for spell sniper?
Hmm, I missed the prerequisite.
Guess I’ll have to take magic initiate/ritual caster first then 4th level spell sniper.

strangebloke
2019-04-11, 06:31 PM
Quick clarification on that: Distant Metamagic doesn't work with spells with Range-Self. It ONLY works for spells with Range 5+ or Touch. In this case, spells that center on yourself (like Thunderwave) don't inherently have a range, but they instead have an Area (which isn't enhanced by the metamagic).

JC made some mentions of this, but I'm not 100% sure if it made it into errata yet.

Additionally, Spell Sniper doesn't require a ranged attack for the range to double. It requires it to be a ranged attack to ignore cover.

Thunderclap, not Thunderwave. Thunderclap's effect is centered on self, but has a range of five feat. It hits "all foes within range." Ergo, if the range is doubled, it hits all foes within 10 feet.

That might not be RAI, (not aware of the JC tweets on the subjec) but it is RAW.

You're right about spell sniper. The reference site I was looking at had a typo. I checked my book and corrected myself.

Grog Logs
2019-04-11, 06:42 PM
I'm also concerned about giving the Monk reach without paying the normal mechanical cost (e.g., Fighter level as suggested by another). I would allow it if it was a 5 foot long whip (e.g., reflavored Sickle). Or, I might allow a magic whip usable by Monks as a Homebrew magic item (that counted as one of your expected magic items).

But, to lose an unnecessary weapon proficiency for a mechanical bonus seems off to me in terms of game balance.

Until you mentioned your spell plan, I was wondering what a whip proficiency would do that owning 5 daggers and 30 darts would not do.

Spectrulus
2019-04-11, 07:47 PM
An easy, although often overlooked option is to take the Entertainer (Gladiator) background PH page 131, which let's you choose a inexpensive but unusual weapon proficiency. The book lists Trident 5g and Net 1g, but it's not a stretch for a Whip 2g or a Pike 5g to play with. This solves your weapon with Base handbook, and then you just need to get your cantrip.

Hope that helps!

Bloodcloud
2019-04-11, 07:50 PM
Thief rogue or tabaxi mostly do...

Misterwhisper
2019-04-11, 08:27 PM
An easy, although often overlooked option is to take the Entertainer (Gladiator) background PH page 131, which let's you choose a inexpensive but unusual weapon proficiency. The book lists Trident 5g and Net 1g, but it's not a stretch for a Whip 2g or a Pike 5g to play with. This solves your weapon with Base handbook, and then you just need to get your cantrip.

Hope that helps!

Gladiator lets you start with an unusual weapon not gain proficiency in it.

Also it is more the fact that he needs the switch to make a whip a monk weapon.

I would just take a normal monk weapon and reflavor it as a whip.

Downside is there are no monk reach weapons.

Deox
2019-04-12, 08:37 AM
I understand where you're coming from, OP.

Can you provide a clear list of "wants" vs. "needs"? That is, what would be a "cool thing to have" versus "My character must be able to do X".

Another perspective. I played a Castlevania inspired character as well. Battle Master Fighter / Mastermind Rogue. Variant Human with Magic Initiate and Spell Sniper for the Booming Blade reach combo. Used daggers (fluffed as "throwing crosses") and holy water / alchemist's fire for range. Battle Master gave fun flavor options and Rogue bonus action help from 30 ft. away did serious work.

tieren
2019-04-12, 08:58 AM

Simic Hybrid Rogue 2/EK 7
Simic upgrades: Manta glide and Nimble climber
Take Mobile feat at 4, spell sniper at 6

War magic lets you make another whip attack as a bonus action after making casting the booming blade cantrip.

OR

You could use your bonus action to cunning action dash and run 80 feet up the wall, and since you have a climb speed now you don't need a ledge you are just climbing. Jump off and you can glide 40 feet away and take zero damage from the 80 foot fall.

You do have spells so you can always longstrider to get that speed up to 50 to get 100 feet up the wall.

Garfunion
2019-04-12, 11:38 AM
I understand where you're coming from, OP.

Can you provide a clear list of "wants" vs. "needs"? That is, what would be a "cool thing to have" versus "My character must be able to do X".
There really is no need for a list. I was just asking if I could bend/break the rules to allow my monk to switch out proficiency from short sword to whip. Getting people’s opinions on if it would unbalance the game.

I could achieve Whip proficiency and 4th level spell sniper going Kensei but, then I would have archetype abilities that I really won’t use as often as I would if I chose 4 element.

I also know that I will be giving up flurry of blows but, that will free up my bonus action/Ki to be spent on other things like patient defense or an elemental discipline.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-12, 11:40 AM
There really is no need for a list. I was just asking if I could bend/break the rules to allow my monk to switch out proficiency from short sword to whip. Getting people’s opinions on if it would unbalance the game.

I could achieve Whip proficiency and 4th level spell sniper going Kensei but, then I would have archetype abilities that I really won’t use as often as I would if I chose 4 element.

I also know that I will be giving up flurry of blows but, that will free up my bonus action/Ki to be spent on other things like patient defense or an elemental discipline.

It'd be about as imbalanced as allowing a Wizard to have proficiency in Long Bows.

No, it won't be a problem in terms of power just allowing the proficiency, but just in the same way the Wizard won't be much of a Wizard if he used his Longbow, the Monk won't be much of a Monk if it used a whip (and isn't Kensei). The Wizard isn't made weaker by getting a proficiency, he is made weaker because he chooses to use the bow and ignore his skillsets.

tieren
2019-04-12, 12:03 PM
It'd be about as imbalanced as allowing a Wizard to have proficiency in Long Bows.

No, it won't be a problem in terms of power just allowing the proficiency, but just in the same way the Wizard won't be much of a Wizard if he used his Longbow, the Monk won't be much of a Monk if it used a whip (and isn't Kensei). The Wizard isn't made weaker by getting a proficiency, he is made weaker because he chooses to use the bow and ignore his skillsets.

While I agree it won't be a problem, I think its an unfair criticism to say he'd be weaker for playing his class wrong.

His skill set would include scaling monk weapon damage on a one handed finesses weapon, with extra cantrip damage and control effects, hes saving ki for a subclass that is notoriously ki hungry which is smart.

His skill set will include extra mobility and defense, he can bonus action dodge, deflect missiles, and still cast elemental spells (absorb elements could look cool channeled back out through the whip).

There is no one correct way to play a class, his idea for a monk seems perfectly reasonable to me and no less "monk-y" because he doesn't want to punch stuff all of the time. Heck, stunning strike only requires a melee weapon attack so he can use that at the same time as the cantrip and thats what monks are best known for.

The balance issue is of course the reach, which means not getting within melee range of most enemies so you don't need to use ki to disengage. Given the need for more ki with a 4E monk (my opinion) I would allow the upgrade without penalty.

Shuruke
2019-04-12, 12:10 PM
Just ask your DM
Hey can I have a whip count as my monk weapon instead of short sword

My dm is allowing Rapier proficiency for free, I don't have it as a monk weapon by my own choice I just wanted a rapier cuz it looks cool and I like the idea of a 4 element rapier user.

My DM was confused at first because I won't have access to bonus action martial arts and my unarmed strikes will be 1+4 damage because I cant use martial art with rapier
But I like theatrics so I went for it

Just ask your DM about it
Tbh
Looking at it statistically even if its a monk weapon.
Itd be 1d4+dex going up to 1d6 , 1d8 etc

You would have your attack action for 2 attacks
Or booming blade for
1d6+1d8+dex at 5 and 2d8 if they willingly move

You'd have ki for disciplines and your bonus action

Nothing would break from this and it isn't u optimizing its you trying to do something fun

So just ask for rule of cool

You want a 4e monk that casts with element of thunder with the crack of their whip
Whether it be shatter , Thunderwave, or booming blade.

Garfunion
2019-04-12, 12:40 PM
Just ask your DM
I am. Just gathering opinions.

You want a 4e monk that casts with element of thunder with the crack of their whip
Whether it be shatter , Thunderwave, or booming blade.
I’m calling it the Silent Whip Discipline, you feel the sting of the whip but hear no sound. That is until you take your first step CRACK. At later levels I’ll role play the extra thunder damage on the whip as “normal” damage.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-12, 12:46 PM
I’m calling it the Silent Whip Technique, you feel the sting of the whip but hear no sound. That is until you take your first step CRACK. At later levels I’ll role play the extra thunder damage on the whip as “normal” damage.

Yep, it doesn't matter what the balance concerns are now. This is too d*mn cool, and we gotta make this a thing.

Heck, I'd just talk to your DM about losing the Unarmed Strikes and Flurry of Blows features and replace them with attacking cantrips. Maybe allow you to spend a ki point to increase the range of those spells so you don't need to pick up Spell Sniper.

Garfunion
2019-04-12, 01:11 PM
Yep, it doesn't matter what the balance concerns are now. This is too d*mn cool, and we gotta make this a thing.

Heck, I'd just talk to your DM about losing the Unarmed Strikes and Flurry of Blows features and replace them with attacking cantrips. Maybe allow you to spend a ki point to increase the range of those spells so you don't need to pick up Spell Sniper.
I don’t think I can swing a replacement of class features, but I can ask.
I’m glad you can see the RP element I was going for.

Willie the Duck
2019-04-12, 01:20 PM
I want to make a monk that uses the whip for their attacks. Would it be an unreasonable request to as the DM to change my short sword proficiency to the whip instead?

Edit

As others have said, just ask your DM.
As to unreasonable, I generally think 'I have an interesting character idea, but the exact D&D 5e rules don't support it' is absolutely where a DM should step in and make things work.

The part I get hung up on is spell sniper(booming blade). That's... I don't really know how to put it... a gamist conceit that literally might not have existed if not for a very specific confluence of game rules. It almost doesn't exist if not for the rules structure your currently struggling against.

If you'd said 'I want to play a monk with a whip, should I ask my DM if I can make whip attacks with my flurry of blows action?' I'd be more inclined to agree (even though that might be more powerful). This just seems like an odd confluence of 'I want something for flavor reasons' and 'I want to do a very specific rules exploit' that I'm not sure what to think on. Regardless, having your monk be a 10' Booming Blade-er is certainly not OP.

EDIT: started writing before:

Okay, this explains the whole thing. I don't know why you didn't lead with this, but it is honestly the best fluff for Booming Blade's otherwise-super-gamist ruleset I've yet seen. Good job.

Garfunion
2019-04-12, 01:38 PM
Okay, this explains the whole thing. I don't know why you didn't lead with this, but it is honestly the best fluff for Booming Blade's otherwise-super-gamist ruleset I've yet seen. Good job.
I didn’t want the fluff to get in the way of the balance concern/question. I’ve edited my first post to include my silent whip discipline fluff.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-12, 01:40 PM
I didn’t want the fluff to get in the way of the balance concern/question. I’ve edited my first post to include my silent whip discipline fluff.

Without the proper narrative, the only thing we can judge are the mechanics. And mechanically, it's neither effective or sensible with the official rules.

Potato_Priest
2019-04-12, 08:59 PM

How would you be using your action to create the ledge?

Also, they wouldn't allow you do do that without spells, but a level 9 arcane trickster rogue could easily run 60ft up a stone wall (or a stone ceiling) then use its action to do something more useful thanks to spider climb, while a level 9 storm sorcerer could just fly 120 feet into the air with the fly spell (potentially quickened) and a dash action, no wall required.

Admittedly, these things do look a little bit less cool, which I assume is your main reason (and a valid one) for choosing monk.

Garfunion
2019-04-12, 10:48 PM
How would you be using your action to create the ledge?

Elemental Attunement
• Cause earth, fire, water, or mist that can fit within a 1-foot cube to shape itself into a crude form you designate for 1 minute.

Also, they wouldn't allow you do do that without spells, but a level 9 arcane trickster rogue could easily run 60ft up a stone wall (or a stone ceiling) then use its action to do something more useful thanks to spider climb, while a level 9 storm sorcerer could just fly 120 feet into the air with the fly spell (potentially quickened) and a dash action, no wall required.
Monks at 9th level with their Unarmored Movement can run up vertical surfaces and across liquids for the move without falling.

Potato_Priest
2019-04-12, 10:59 PM
Monks at 9th level with their Unarmored Movement can run up vertical surfaces and across liquids for the move without falling.

I know that, just pointing out that the other suggestions people had have ways to do similar things. Sorry if by "without spells" you thought I was referring to the monk. I was discussing the other options that can do similar (and in some ways superior) things through the use of spells.

Garfunion
2019-04-12, 11:29 PM
Sorry if by "without spells" you thought I was referring to the monk. I was discussing the other options that can do similar (and in some ways superior) things through the use of spells.
That did confuse me. But anyway most mobile spells require concentration, monk doesn’t have to worry about that so much.

GentlemanVoodoo
2019-04-13, 12:16 AM

Edit 1

Edit 2

Most DM's would require you to justify the change. It is clearly reasonable to say that a whip is something akin to a Shaolin Chain Whip, something more exotic such as maybe a one handed Rope Dart or Urumi Sword Whip (should you prefer a more Punjabi Warrior feel). Several real world examples at your disposable so take your pick. Mechanics wise there isn't much to be concern with other than you may be under powered a bit. The disadvantage is you are trading in a d6 with a short sword for a d4 with a whip. Though you have reach with a whip, do also keep in mind your class features will function only when adjacent to the target (unarmed strike, fury of blow, etc).

Further, I see what you are attempting to do the usual hit and run tactics that is associated with this combination. But it is a secondary tactic at best and if you are planning to do hit and run all the time, you are better served with playing as a Rogue which at least gets you Disengage as a bonus action.

Thematically to fit your concept, I would also recommend to consider perhaps a few levels in the Battle Master subclass of the fighter where some of the Maneuvers from Combat Superiority work nicely with a whip.

Talionis
2019-04-13, 05:23 AM
I have no problem. It’s a big investment in two feats to qualify and it can’t be used with some Monk features. You will be behind on ASI for stat improvements which Monks need.

My advice/concern is you may feel a little one trick pony and it may not be all that fun.

Aelyn
2019-04-13, 07:05 AM
Elemental Attunement
• Cause earth, fire, water, or mist that can fit within a 1-foot cube to shape itself into a crude form you designate for 1 minute.

I'd recommend checking this with the DM ahead if time as well; many DMs, including me, would not allow you to use this ability to reshape a rock wall into a ledge with sufficient integrity to hold you. There's a difference between earth and rock, and if the wall is loose enough to qualify as earth, I doubt it would be able to carry your weight.

Shuruke
2019-04-13, 07:35 AM
I have no problem. It’s a big investment in two feats to qualify and it can’t be used with some Monk features. You will be behind on ASI for stat improvements which Monks need.

My advice/concern is you may feel a little one trick pony and it may not be all that fun.

Issue I see alot with monk is that they don't get to do alot outside of fighting so try to make sure u have something like insight or another useful out of combat skill allies might not have