PDA

View Full Version : Wild Shape Communication: Has anyone made up a list of Signals?

Merudo
2019-04-12, 08:11 AM
Did anyone make a list of nonverbal signs a Druid could do as a Wild Shaped animal?

Something like "I move my pawn upward quickly, which means there is danger" sort of thing?

Ideally the Druid would print a sheet of such symbols & distribute it to other party members so that everyone would understand the symbols.

nickl_2000
2019-04-12, 08:20 AM
No, but that is mostly because my Moon Druid wasn't that smart or skilled socially (and it's more fun for me to roar and pantomime). I don't see any reason why you couldn't though, when you are wildshaped you keep you intelligence after all.

In fact, it would make sense to do it.

hymer
2019-04-12, 08:27 AM
Ideally the Druid would print a sheet of such symbols & distribute it to other party members so that everyone would understand the symbols.
If I were to do this, I'd print it, and have it be available as long as I am in caster form. Once I'm wild shaped, I put the sheet away. It's much more fun that way.

DrKerosene
2019-04-13, 10:19 PM
If they are able to cast Prestidigitation, they can make three marks on an object and use an action to dismiss one of the marks. Each mark can be tied to a messege (come help me, I’m returning with trouble, third option) for a very simple communication, that can be performed at any range on the same plane.

I think having an allied PC with a word board to tap with a paw or snout would be simplest. Matt Colville has an NPC who is blind, deaf, and dumb, who communicates with a talking stick and tattoos on his back. He taps on symbols on the stick for others, and people tap his tattoos to communicate back.

Tanarii
2019-04-13, 10:24 PM
If they are able to cast Prestidigitation, they can make three marks on an object and use an action to dismiss one of the marks. Each mark can be tied to a messege (come help me, I’m returning with trouble, third option) for a very simple communication, that can be performed at any range on the same plane.Not a bad trick regardless of wild shaping. You'd have to have someone paying very close attention to the object to notice it within a reasonable time frame. I'd probably rule that person is unable to use passive perception (similar to tracking). But still a useful trick.

sithlordnergal
2019-04-14, 12:40 AM
I have a very simple system, especially when I am a Giant Spider. If I nuzzle up against you, there's nothing to worry about. If I raise my legs in that classic spider attack mode pose, I'ma bite something, if I shoot you with webs and start dragging you up the cliff I am either going to:

A) Carry you up the cliff

B) Hang you

C) Have gone full native and am turning you into a snack >=3

DrKerosene
2019-04-14, 07:29 AM
Not a bad trick regardless of wild shaping. You'd have to have someone paying very close attention to the object to notice it within a reasonable time frame. I'd probably rule that person is unable to use passive perception (similar to tracking). But still a useful trick.

If you really like the idea, I’m pretty sure you can pour gold into using the Magic Mouth spell and making it auto-trigger each tome a a specific shape of mark disappears (still not that helpful for a druid, but then we come back to the old “touch and speak stick” idea).

Snowbluff
2019-04-14, 08:30 AM
No because my Druid is a Halfling Ghostwise and therefore has telepathy. :smalltongue:

Merudo
2019-04-15, 01:08 AM
I've given it some thoughts and made up the following signs to use as a Bear:

Yes: Nod.
No: Shake head.
I / You / They : Point one paw at person.
Sorry: Paws cover both eyes.
Numbers: Clap paws.

Danger: Put a paw around head with mouth open (as if scared).
Enemy: Punches in front.
Friend: Paw over heart.
Door: Make the outline of a door with a paw.
Traps: Stomp paw on ground.
Treasure: Lick lips.

Fight: Punch both paws together horizontally.
Retreat: Wave paw toward the back.
Scout/Search: Paw horizontally above eyes while slowing shaking head.
Listen: Paw behind ear.
Go: Point paws at place to go.
Get: Put both paws together on the floor and raise them (as if picking up an object).
Hide: Two arms in front, as if hiding behind them.
Heal: Make a cross with both pawns.
Rest: Crossed pawns on the chest.

I've tried it and it seems to work well enough. But any suggestion is welcome.

Laserlight
2019-04-15, 02:05 AM
As it is, half the PCs don't speak a common language, are too scatterbrained or drunk to be coherent, or don't have the INT or CHA to do much more than grunt. If one of them wild shaped, odds are that it wouldn't change party communication much. Except we'd be less likely to accidentally offend an NPC.

Merudo
2019-04-15, 02:00 PM
As it is, half the PCs don't speak a common language

What race(s) are you playing? All the official races I know (beside Grung) know Common...

diplomancer
2019-04-15, 02:06 PM
On a similar subject, has anyone done something similar for dancing lights?

Laserlight
2019-04-15, 02:17 PM
What race(s) are you playing? All the official races I know (beside Grung) know Common...

Not in my settings. All the PCs may know the party's main language, if they wish, but several have specified that they don't wish.

Just as an example, the party face is a Thri kreen without telepathy. He's working with a slate and chalk.

DrKerosene
2019-04-16, 12:32 AM
On a similar subject, has anyone done something similar for dancing lights?

The one time I played a 3.5e Fire Elf Wizard, I used this spell and had hashed out some basic “position combos” if I needed to communicate at a distance or while alone (never happened though). Kinda like coloured flares and naval flags combined. I guess mimicking half of sign-language (one handed signing is possible) works too.

I do use this cantrip in the military for the Scro Legions in the games where I DM. However, my Players are pretty good at not attacking army units.