PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the Tone Cult - Monk Archetype based on Lee Sin from League of Legends (PEACH)

Vogie
2019-04-12, 12:26 PM
http://66.media.tumblr.com/eb1e928db491bfaeb6607ff2905526c1/tumblr_inline_o453z1n1Hu1u1gz7p_540.jpg
Ionia is known for their martial artists and none are as famous as Lee Sin. Though he lost his sight early in his life, he dedicated his life following the essence of a dragon spirit, and gained renown as a warrior-monk protecting his homeland. This blind master eventually created his own art based on sound. Those who follow the tone cult weaponize sound, emulating their master's style that dips in and out of combat, moving faster than eyes can see

Sonic Wave
At 3rd level, you gain a new attack option that you can use with the Attack action. This special attack is a ranged spell attack with a range of 45 feet. You are proficient with it, and you add your Dexterity modifier to its attack and damage rolls. Its damage is thunder, and its damage die is a d4. This die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the Martial Arts column of the Monk table. The creature hit with this attack is marked until the end of your next turn. You may only have one creature marked at a time.

When you use your Sonic Wave, you gain blindsight for a number of feet equal to 20 plus 5 times your Wisdom modifier for 1 round, and you have advantage on any Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check you make to find the marked creature.

When you gain the Extra Attack feature, this special attack can be used for either of the attacks you make as part of the Attack action.

Resonating Strike
As a bonus action, you can spend a ki point to teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space within 5 feet of the marked target, removing the mark, and make an unarmed strike against the target.

Safeguard
At 6th level, whenever an allied creature within 30 feet of you takes damage, you can spend a ki point as a reaction to teleport to an unoccupied space you can sense within 5 feet of it. That creature is Guarded, gaining a number of temporary hit points equal to twice your Martial Arts die. While you are within 5 feet of the guarded creature, whenever you use the dodge action, the other creature gains the benefit of that action until the beginning of your next turn. You can only have one guarded creature at a time.

Iron Will
At 11th level, whenever you use your flurry of blows, you gain hit points equal your martial arts die each time you hit with those unarmed attacks.

Repercussion Kick
At 17th level, when you successfully hit a creature with an Stunning strike, you can expend up to 3 ki points send them flying. The target is pushed 20 feet in a straight line for each ki point spent, and the target takes 4d12 bludgeoning damage.

If the pushed target would move through any other creature's space, those creatures make a Dexterity saving throw. Each creature takes 2d12 bludgeoning damage and an additional 2d12 bludgeoning damage for each size it is above medium, or half damage on a successful save.
If the pushed target would impact an immobile object such as a wall, it takes an additional 2d12 bludgeoning damage for each size it is above medium.

Please let me know what you think!

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-12, 03:36 PM
Lee Sin, huh? Alright, I'll bite.

There's a number of things that do need to be cleaned up.

For starters, I'd have Safeguard target only allies, because otherwise you'll have people saying "Well, it said I could teleport next to a bug!" The other problem with Safeguard is that Reactions always have a trigger that determine when you can use them, and Saveguard does not. Even if it's something like the Rogue Scout's trigger (which is at the end of an enemy's turn who's adjacent to the Rogue), that'd really help clear things up.
Safeguard's abilities are also really odd. It rewards Temporary HP (quite a bit!), while also providing the Dodge action for your ally if you're adjacent to them if you Dodge, but only for a minute...It's a lot to track on a mobile monk, you know? I'd replace the temporary hitpoint with your Martial Die, so that the class rewards your level a bit better. I'd also maybe consider changing how the Dodge factor works to be something that doesn't work on a timer (as tracking a 1 minute duration on an ally for a niche effect is kinda odd).

Iron Will has you gain HP equal to 1/3 the damage dealt but the calculations for that are very odd. I'd change it to give you your Martial Arts die in HP back whenever you use Flurry of Blows. This incentivizes diversity, and guarantees that the Monk makes at least 4 attack attempts (which is roughly equivalent of 1/3 of real damage, but less awkward).

I'm not a HUGE fan of the Constitution scaling on Repercussion (since you generally should have no idea what the exact scores of a monster are without some kind of divination effect). Perhaps make it deal 4d12 damage, +2d12 for every size it is above Medium? This ends up dealing the same damage as your formula against Large creatures, but is a bit more variable and does even more damage against even larger enemies. It also should clarify a bit more on how each creature takes damage, as it could be interpreted that both creatures take damage each time there's a collision, or only the grounded creature takes damage.

All-in-all, though, you did a great job of capturing the spirit of Lee Sin. Great work, Vogie!

Vogie
2019-04-15, 10:11 AM
For starters, I'd have Safeguard target only allies, because otherwise you'll have people saying "Well, it said I could teleport next to a bug!" The other problem with Safeguard is that Reactions always have a trigger that determine when you can use them, and Saveguard does not. Even if it's something like the Rogue Scout's trigger (which is at the end of an enemy's turn who's adjacent to the Rogue), that'd really help clear things up.
Safeguard's abilities are also really odd. It rewards Temporary HP (quite a bit!), while also providing the Dodge action for your ally if you're adjacent to them if you Dodge, but only for a minute...It's a lot to track on a mobile monk, you know? I'd replace the temporary hitpoint with your Martial Die, so that the class rewards your level a bit better. I'd also maybe consider changing how the Dodge factor works to be something that doesn't work on a timer (as tracking a 1 minute duration on an ally for a niche effect is kinda odd).
Done and done.

Iron Will has you gain HP equal to 1/3 the damage dealt but the calculations for that are very odd. I'd change it to give you your Martial Arts die in HP back whenever you use Flurry of Blows. This incentivizes diversity, and guarantees that the Monk makes at least 4 attack attempts (which is roughly equivalent of 1/3 of real damage, but less awkward).

That makes sense. I tied it to hits, so you don't move

I'm not a HUGE fan of the Constitution scaling on Repercussion (since you generally should have no idea what the exact scores of a monster are without some kind of divination effect). Perhaps make it deal 4d12 damage, +2d12 for every size it is above Medium? This ends up dealing the same damage as your formula against Large creatures, but is a bit more variable and does even more damage against even larger enemies. It also should clarify a bit more on how each creature takes damage, as it could be interpreted that both creatures take damage each time there's a collision, or only the grounded creature takes damage.

Done

All-in-all, though, you did a great job of capturing the spirit of Lee Sin. Great work, Vogie!

Thanks for the feedback!