PDA

View Full Version : Anti-magic Girl (of Dooooo- uh, Destiny!)

Serpentine
2007-10-02, 03:29 AM
So. In my game soon I'm gonna throw in a purely non-magical child. An important assumption here is that every single living thing has a spark of divine and arcane magic, probably at least part of their soul, that naturally or with training can be coerced into a flame for, say, Sorcerers, Wizards, Clerics etc. This child, a girl, does not have this spark, is purely and entirely unmagical, and as a result is cut off from other magics. This will be important later, as she is the only one that can survive in a land where a great artifact is sucking up and throwing out all the magic in the area (Goff's Deathwalkers dwell in this place) and "turn it off". My concept is reasonably vague at this point, but she'll slowly gain control over her uniqueness, presumably as she gains levels/is under extreme stress. She is a unique being and probably mostly an NPC/DMPC, though, so her advancement is flexible. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of where I could take her abilities? Oh, and her race is human. Here's what I have so far:

Initial Features
Generally immune to magic. "Magical damage", arcane or divine, has no effect. Area effect spells can effect her (e.g. Fireball could be considered to heat up the air molecules around her), but not easily: basically Evasion/Improved Evasion vs. area spells/spells that don't allow spell resistance. Scrying spells do not detect her (except ones that simply view an area). Spells such as "Detect Alignment" fail to work on her. If there's a "detect life" spell or somesuch, it doesn't pick her up.

The immunity to magic includes beneficial spells. She cannot be supernaturally healed or buffed. Bard songs have no effect on her (though she can enjoy it).

Use Magic Device is required for any magic item (possibly excluding +x enhancements). Wands etc. that normally require a UMD check will have a higher DC to normal. This may have to be learned.

Development
Over time she can learn to suppress her magic immunity, to force her body to accept it. This will allow her to use beneficial spells (but may require a Concentration check?).

Through manipulation of her own natural antipathy to magic, she will be able to throw out an Anti-magic Zone and/or similar spells.

She will be able to channel her magical antipathy into other items or people, allowing her to use Dispel Magic as a touch spell, and possibly eventually ranged.

Another possibility, that I haven't looked into properly, is spell absorption, that is taking in any spells she comes into contact with and then expelling them back out, either as the spell itself or as pure magic (because she would have no control over keeping its shape. Mmm scrambled spell). This could have an interesting manifestation if she unconciously absorbs much magic as a child and then hits a stressful point in, say, puberty: BOOM.

So, what do y'all think? I feel like there should be more abilities to add. She can take up a class as normal, though obviously Sorcerer, Cleric, Druid and the like are right out and Wizard would be extremely difficult. I can't really see that a LA would be necessary if I turned this into a template, as it carries distinct disadvantages as well as advantages.
Oh, and as a side note, I can't decide on how she should look. I kinda like the idea of her being pale, but Goff's working on me for... Tia Dalma (from Pirates of the Caribbean)-esque creepy-swarthiness. She is from a South America-style continent, so the latter would fit in fine. Any thoughts?

Also: Anyone have an idea for a name?

Roderick_BR
2007-10-02, 06:16 AM
Hmm.. the obvious benefits she could have is a high SR (10+level) and a big resistance bonus to spells (+4 or +8).
Add improved evasion and mettle, but only for magical effects (mundane effects like traps and poisons would ignore it, unless she gains them as normal, as class features).
Add the supernatural ability to save and SR against spells that usually wouldn't allow, as you said.
A 5ft anti-magic field (like a personal AMF), would make her practically immune to anything, but would deny her the ability to use weapons.
For suppressing it, Concentration checks could work, making one check as a default action, making it last for 1 full round.
The UMD thing could work too.

Arakune
2007-10-02, 06:40 AM
Like in the Saga Frontier 2 game, where Gustav was born without anima (that land magic) and mastered the use of steel weapons (anti-anima weapons), and in the end

His weapon destroyed an ancient artifact that was indestructible because it absorved anima, and a steel weapon doesn't have anima, thus being able to end the thing

I all in on anything that tear off the insta-win of wizards in high levels.

Doesn't give her SR, give her a immunity to all magic (good or not) and ability to dispel magic (caster level as high you need). But make her abilities scale as her becomes more powerfull.

Also, make any magic that she holds (except some artifacts, where you need some kind of save) doesn`t work while she is holding.

Serpentine
2007-10-02, 06:52 AM
Hm, that's a good point... I suppose her caster level will just be in whatever class she chooses to take (which will probably depend on which PC spends the most time with her). And yes, it is spell immunity from the very beginning.
Oh, and I've never even heard of that game :smalltongue:
Oh, and the anti-magic zone would extend around her, to benefit others, as she'll effectively already have it on her person. Not sure how often or for how long she'd be able to use it...

bugsysservant
2007-10-02, 07:08 AM
I like the idea, but I'm not sure if the ability to surpress her non-magical-ness fits. If magic stems from an inner spark (as opposed to, say, a connection with the outside world) where does she get the "spark" to use magic? Also, can she be raised if killed? If not make sure the PCs know she is important and will die permanently so they are extra careful. But I really like the high level effects possible. I would have an AMF that perepetually surrounds her, at maybe 5' for level one, and slowly expand with experience (along with the ability to surpress it). Think twice before giving her Mage's Disjunction. The PCs might get pissed if an NPC ruitinely destroys their hard earned loot (assuming she will be adventuring with them)

Citizen Joe
2007-10-02, 07:12 AM
FASA did something like that in one of their Earthdawn series... I think it was Infected. I think there was also a rumor of a nameless child that was unaffected by magic, because magic was largely based around namegiving.

You might try something akin to her being an infant Spire... as in Planescape/Sigil spire. Magic doesn't work with a certain distance from the Spire (in hundreds of miles) Lesser spells function first, eventually (like 1000 miles away) they all work. But up close, even gods lose their magic (except overgods).

You could call her 'Cordy' and let people think that is short for Cordelia, when it is really short for Concordant (Opposition). Or you might call her 'Cin' for Synergy, the opposite of Concordant Opposition. She would essentially be a planar seed that would grow over thousands of year.

Tormsskull
2007-10-02, 07:15 AM
Sounds like a pretty interesting concept overall. How about a way for her to deplete magic items by touch? Or depending on her alignment, the ability to steal spell slots from casters on touch or range at higher levels.

ocato
2007-10-02, 07:17 AM
I'd give her spell turning at some point in her progression too. This idea fits really really well into a campaign I am half-heartedly working on and I might have to stea-- borrow it, tweak it, and use it.

Serpentine
2007-10-02, 07:19 AM
I like the idea, but I'm not sure if the ability to surpress her non-magical-ness fits. If magic stems from an inner spark (as opposed to, say, a connection with the outside world) where does she get the "spark" to use magic? Also, can she be raised if killed? If not make sure the PCs know she is important and will die permanently so they are extra careful. But I really like the high level effects possible. I would have an AMF that perepetually surrounds her, at maybe 5' for level one, and slowly expand with experience (along with the ability to surpress it). Think twice before giving her Mage's Disjunction. The PCs might get pissed if an NPC ruitinely destroys their hard earned loot (assuming she will be adventuring with them)
Suppression wasn't really a good word. It'd be more that she'd force her body to accept and work with the magic, as opposed, I suppose, to the external magic linking with the internal and using the connection to do its work. It would have to be learned, as would the Mage's Disjunction effect, which would take a concious effort to do and so wouldn't happen just by touching things (though they still wouldn't work for her without effort).
There's a good chance that she can't be raised. I have to think about this one. It's possible that she has no soul, and so could not be. On the other hand, it's also possible that her soul simply doesn't leave her body, in which case it would just have to be... "repaired" and "restarted" for her to be raised.

bugsysservant
2007-10-02, 07:24 AM
I was just about to suggest that she be able to steal spells when tormsskull beat me to it :smallmad: , than I accidentally closed the browser window on my post, so anyway...
Yeah, it might be cool to give her a few levels of spellthief (and maybe limit the class availability to her) If her lack of magic is due to some sort of void within her, maybe she could temporarily fill it through the magic of others, at the expense of her her antimagic field properties. And as the campaign wears on, the PCs could find that she is slowly leaching away their magic, leading to all kinds of fun.

Miraqariftsky
2007-10-02, 08:28 AM
Also: Anyone have an idea for a name?

Grace?--- something given. A gift of salvation (from magic) to the world

Odiv'na?--- "Odiv" anagram of "void" since she voids the forces of magic. "na" is a reverse of "an" implying that she is THE One to bring a new world order and maybe abolish or totally change magic altogether.

Diva?--- reference to Diva of the series "Blood+"

Noigmi het'Invictre?--- root phrase: "No magi(c), the Invincible"

Arakune
2007-10-02, 08:32 AM
Give her a very common name in the setting, something that peasant #3 could have. Heck, said peasant could even name her (romantic interest + inverse princess in distress principle). It could be fun

Serpentine
2007-10-02, 08:34 AM
South American, probably lots of Xs and Ls. Any ideas there?

Arakune
2007-10-02, 08:47 AM
South American, probably lots of Xs and Ls. Any ideas there?

Laura Exalia Liberata

Laura: common name;
Exalia: name of her mother;
Liberata: surname, means freedom,liberty (tough the exact meaning would be a little diferent, also, it's the middle name of my mom).

Keld Denar
2007-10-02, 09:34 AM
Terry Goodkind did something similar in his Sword of Truth series. Introduced in the book "The Pillar's of Creation" these people are utterly and completely devoid of the spark of magic. They can't be detected by magical means, magic effects appear faded and dulled to them, and they are completely immune to the direct effects of magical interaction around them. They CAN be affected indirectly by magic, such as by disrupting the earth beneath them to make them trip and fall.

They are part of the balance that is all things (important key recurring concept in the series). Since there is magic, there is an absence of magic to balance it out, just as since there is life, there is an absence of life (death) to balance it out.

Good books, they come highly recommended by me. The first book is called "Wizards First Rule"

Go buy it!

Serpentine
2007-10-02, 09:45 AM
I've read Wizard's First Rule and the second one. I want those hours back.
It does remind me of some stuff I forgot to put in, though...
>scurries off to add<

Name_Here
2007-10-02, 10:11 AM
So is this anything like the Nulls in the Warhammer 40K universe? The overall feel seems to be the same as what you're going for.

In the Warhammer 40K books Nulls are universally disliked. Not for any concious reason on the part of anybody just nobody can really stand them. Some books have people feel uncomfortable around them for no real reason other books have them being smelly with constant skin conditions. So I might put a hefty Charisma bonus on the template. Also magic sensitive cultures would be just one sliver away from outright hostile. Since his prescence would cause them far more discomfort than less magical cultures.

Also maybe you shoud add some ability against creatures of magic. Possibly a minus to hit for fey type creatures and heavy damage to creatures of pure magic like deamons, devils, golems and elementals.

Course my additions would probaly make it a LA:- race so maybe they aren't quite what you're going for but I love the flavor of the Nulls.

Leliel
2007-10-02, 10:37 AM
Speaking of 40K, she may have an active form of the Pariah gene.

This essentially means that in Warhammer, she has no presence in the Warp, which is naturally quite fritening to everyone else, seeing as they do. A positive side benifit of this means that she can essentially eat magic. A not-so-positive benefit means she can be converted into a Necron. If you decide to add them into your game, I really don't want to be one of the PCs.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-02, 10:40 AM
If you go with "she has no soul", instead of having healing spells not affect her at all, you could simply say they're 'filling' the hole left by her absence of a soul. Souls are, after all, positive energy, which is precisely what healing spells pump into a body.

What happens when she's completely full would be up to you. :smallwink:

sikyon
2007-10-02, 11:58 AM
I would... just make her immune to magic/magical creatures.

Ie. No spell can affect her. Anything buffed that touches her is instantly dispelled. She cannot be fooled by illusions. If a magical creature (magical beast, extraplaner, dragon and even animals which are monsterous or dire) touches her that part of their body crumbles away. If they try to attack her, even with mortal weapons, the weapons stop at the surface of her skin and hover there. This idea is based on conservation of energy... magic can imbue energy into material weapons, ie. Magical Muscles swing a sword. As soon as the sword touches her, the universe corrects itself according to conservation of energy and the sword immediately looses all momentum/energy, including potential energy (thus it hovers). She can only be killed by real creatures, none warped by magic and she can be killed by real people. She may gain DR based on the fact that everything has a magical spark. She is unable to be affected by Gods, even the photons that reflect off of her have been neutralized from magic, rendering her invisible to completly magical creatures, such as gods or elementals. Similary, scrying spells have no effect, even when looking at her general area.

I reason that she is totally unable to control this ability, because not having a magical spark is something that you can't really control... it's like... I have a flashlight and you don't. I can turn my flashlight off but you can't turn the darkness off. As in, she is the natural state (darkness) and magic is the artificial, overimposed construct (light).

Furthermore, as a completly non magical being I would only advance her in fighter types, highly nonoptimized and obviously no magic weapons/equipment. Remember not to make DMPC's steal the show from PC's.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-02, 12:43 PM
Hey Serpentine.

I like the idea. *runs off with it*

Name wise:
- Xedra (going with your x theme)
- Lily (it's nice, simple, and pure)
- Argent (silver in french, silver is often antimagical)
- Granger (play on Harry Potter character)
- Sylvanas (nice, magicky name from WoW)
- Elektra (for the ninja, spellthief look)
- Kismet (fate)
- Opal (reflective, antimagicky)
- Mia (I have no idea. It's a good name)
- Susan (bland/basic, as proven by Prattchett)

Hope some of those were good. :smallsmile:

Telonius
2007-10-02, 02:32 PM
"A Spell for Chameleon" by Piers Anthony might be another source of inspiration for you.

Other than that, what you have sounds pretty good.

Bauglir
2007-10-02, 03:04 PM
If you've got the Forgotten Realms stuff, you might give her the Spellfire Wielder feat at level 1, to take care of the absorption stuff. That's basically what it is; absorbing and releasing pure magical energy.

Fhaolan
2007-10-02, 03:25 PM
You probably already know this, but be very careful with Plot Device NPCs. In the normal course of a game, the DM will need to put a *lot* of effort into keeping this NPC alive or risk invalidating the overall plot. To the point that some players might take advantage of this and start using the NPC as a 'plot shield', making her take the risks instead of themselves because they know you can't let her die.

kemmotar
2007-10-02, 05:23 PM
Instead of giving her a personal AMF you can give her the ability to destroy, drain or suppress magic in anyone or anything with a check (maybe charisma, maybe will check).

Destroying would have no physical effect in an item but would destroy its magic and in persons it would extinguish the magical spark to the point of their birth, thus they can regain it by rising in levels again, but all their current magic is lost(kinda like mordekainen's disjunction).

Absorbing magic from either items or people can increase her own strength by borrowing other's spark thus effectively suppressing part of the magic she absorbs but pretty much uses up right away, could be spells, could be ability increase, anything you can come up according to the item...even healing her would be a good idea(maybe she can choose the effects)

Suppressing magic results in putting it in a hibernation of sorts, it does not disappear but it cannot be used by the item of person...

She can gradually come to realize these things as she rises in levels and take combat expertise, impr disarm and grapple, stuff like that...She probably wouldn't need weapons so maybe monk levels would be nice(and make the check for the above abilities a will check-as in to overpower mentally the magic in the person or item) Unarmed attacks could give her the choice to employ any of those abilities or she could use a touch attack(no extra damage)...sunder might be a good idea...but then that might be a bit too powerful...

Serpentine
2007-10-02, 09:18 PM
I would... just make her immune to magic/magical creatures.

Ie. No spell can affect her. Anything buffed that touches her is instantly dispelled. She cannot be fooled by illusions.
Have to think about the effect of non-direct spells on her. I think illusions like Phantasmal Killer won't be a problem, but an ordinary Image and Ghost Sound I'll have to consider...

If a magical creature (magical beast, extraplaner, dragon and even animals which are monsterous or dire) touches her that part of their body crumbles away. If they try to attack her, even with mortal weapons, the weapons stop at the surface of her skin and hover there. This idea is based on conservation of energy... magic can imbue energy into material weapons, ie. Magical Muscles swing a sword. As soon as the sword touches her, the universe corrects itself according to conservation of energy and the sword immediately looses all momentum/energy, including potential energy (thus it hovers). She can only be killed by real creatures, none warped by magic and she can be killed by real people. She may gain DR based on the fact that everything has a magical spark.
I don't know about this. From that, if a huge red dragon touches her at all, it's doomed. But if it hits her with a tail-whip, she's still just getting thwacked with a big lump of flesh. I think something like a +1 flaming longsword will still do base damage, and possibly the +1, but the flaming won't work. Similarly, she'll be able to get by magical protection spells, eg. Ring of Protection, Mage Armour.

I reason that she is totally unable to control this ability, because not having a magical spark is something that you can't really control... it's like... I have a flashlight and you don't. I can turn my flashlight off but you can't turn the darkness off. As in, she is the natural state (darkness) and magic is the artificial, overimposed construct (light).
I can see this, but I like the idea of her learning to manipulate her little bubble of magical emptiness.

Furthermore, as a completly non magical being I would only advance her in fighter types, highly nonoptimized and obviously no magic weapons/equipment. Remember not to make DMPC's steal the show from PC's.
Depending on who she spends the most time with, she'll level appropriately. Rogue and fighter would be fine. If she hangs around the druid, she'll probably end up being a non-magical ranger or scout or somesuch. Wizard is actually a possibility - she'd be reliant upon scrolls, but I kinda like the idea of her studying her own non-magicalness in order to understand magic better.
As for the risk of her stealing the show... she'll be somewhere around 8-13 years old, effectively level 0. The party is level 10-12. At this stage, she'll be much more of a liability than anything, though it is possible that at some later point she'll be rapidly levelled up somehow. And death is a possibility: This is all the plan of a demi-god druid (who we've only caught a brief glimpse of in-game and won't actually get really involved for about 2 campaigns), so there is a very small possibility of divine intervention, but more likely is that if the girl's put in too much danger, she will die and the druid will have to begin its plans all over again.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-04, 11:00 AM
So, what have you settled on in the end?

I'm confused...

Serpentine
2007-10-04, 11:56 PM
Alright, just because you're waiting with bated breath, I'll work it out this Sunday, when everyone else in my group is off trying to resurrect (that is, Reincarnate:smallsigh:) my character, and post it for you.

Khanderas
2007-10-05, 07:32 AM
Base idea:
Purely magical effects wont touch her (Magic missile, Fireball, Buffs, Heals)
Conjured items are disintegrated when touched (conjured food)
Enhanced items would be supressed (masterwork sword +1 would just be a masterwork sword while she touches it but not disintegrate because its physical form wasnt made by and from magic).
Items with charges would lose them rapidly (Wands, staffs at a 1d4 charges per 6 seconds, potions counting as one charge, as would scrolls)
A painful touch to magical creatures and summoned monsters. Summoned monsters might be downright dispelled.

In the first post the ida was to let her just not be magical enough to have her be affected by it, but I must say I like the void approach later on in this post much much more.

If the anti-magic comes from a void, she could potentially surpress it, for healing to be even possible (and sooner or later its gotta be there). Just let her require a concentration check every round the supresses her natural anti-magic (scaling up the DC for every round naturally). If he was just "not magical" she would have no control.

At higher levels she would gain the ability to release the void, basically a chaotic anti magic field. In my mind it would leave her stunned while its active and faints once its over for a day or so, but that is up to you. A DMPC should get some downtime after sucking up magic charges and nullifying every defense from the BBEG (and many offences from the PC's sure, but 5 feet of steel is enough when there is no DR or magical defenses around)

At even more advanced, perhaps she could fine tune that void to dispel specific things, like a debuff without hurting the buffs on allies and so on. Concentration, Knowleadge (Arcana), or whatever. Your pick.

Edit: Oh and if someone picks up a stone with telekinisis and hurls it her way, she would be hit. I dont quite like the if-magic-started-it-then-it-fails. Seems Divine if it was so, not just anti-magic. I mean would a telekinetic thrown stone stop at the edge of an anti magic field ? Not in my mind.

Person_Man
2007-10-05, 09:16 AM
Being a classical mythology/history dork, I'm a big fan of using Greek for names: Zoi (Spirit), Moira (Destiny), or Alethea (Truth).

As others have mentioned, I like the idea of a Spellthief (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a) with high Spell Resistance. Maybe an albino drow that thinks she's an elf, or something similar. Fax has a really great guide for how to play a Spellthief, btw, so look it up if you go that direction.

Another option is to make yourself a medium sized, very well made flesh golem. That would make you immune to magic, and would explain any memory problems you'd want to give her. Then you could take levels of the Reforged prestige class, which is for warforged who want to be "more alive."

You may also wish to consider a psionic class and/or race. If your DM uses the transparency rules, then power resistance = spell resistance.

Also remember the golden rule of exposition in D&D - backstory is best demonstrated through actions and interaction, not narrated through monologue. Regardless, its a great idea. I hope it works out.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 02:26 PM
Zoi(Spirit)

Zoi is actually life, pnevma is spirit.Selene might be a nice name to use since the moon is considered the source of magic in many cases, or at least associated with it. Hecate might also be a nice name if you want to throw in a darker side in her history...medea might be nice(the sorceress that helped jason get the golden fleece but afterwards killed their children) to get it even darker...

Maybe a nice idea would be that she was a really powerful evil witch that used her powers to such evil that the gods themselves were so angry they extinguished every single flame of magic from her body and reduced her body back to a pure age(before she had done anything bad) along with erasing her memories.

From other mythologies you could also use hel(yes hell actually comes from the daughter of loki and angbroda, interesting story look it up in wikipedia)

A last one with the moon you can use artemis, or (again on the subject of punishment you can name her Chione...She had an affair with apollo and became too proud, then artemis came along(jealous girl that one) and told her to tell apollo to appear in his true, godly form if he truly loved her(that's how he always appeared to her). So Chione did so, apollo didn't want to at first but then did so and appeared with all the might and fire of the sun god and burned her to dust...sneaky eh?Instead you could have your girl be punished by having all magic drained from her, the flame of magic extinguished, cursed to never be able to come into contact with magic(thus you can also make her be able to reflect spells). With the last idea you could get a more credible way for her to be immune to magic, magic can never be in contact with her, thus one of her attacks against anything with magic could be to try to touch it(touch attack) and then she rolls for how far away she throws the victim in increments of 10ft, 1d6 per 10 feet. Maybe 1d6*5 ft+str*5ft or something like it. Also any magical effect(eg fireball) passes around her or becomes absorbed*as if my a shield. A fireball simply passes around her, magic missiles are deflected to the sides(you can also then roll chances for the missiles hitting somebody else or being deflected to the caster).

GolemsVoice
2007-10-05, 04:32 PM
Reminds me of one of the Warhammer 40000 Eisenhorn books, where the main character, the Inquisitor Eisenhorn, finds an untouchable girl, a girl that has no signature whatsoever in the warp, the place where all psyker-powers come from. Therefore, she surpresses all psionic effects within a certain area around her, and is, naturally unaffected by psionic tricks.
But it had one downside. People would find her presence unnerving, leading to her beiing without rest and permanent home, and for psykers, her touch would acually be painfull.
Don't know if it halps you, but I wanted to tell.:smallsmile:

PhallicWarrior
2007-10-05, 09:35 PM
I thingk that a fireball, being magical in nature, would pass over her, and a magic missile spell would simply encounter no resistance, and pass right through her, harmlessly until it hit something "real," (that is, something with magical presence, like another person, or a wall. Make her be to magic what the Yuuzhan Vong were to the Force. Read Traitor, by Matthew Stover, particularly when Jacen tries to use force lightning on the Vong. There's your lightning effect.)

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 09:42 PM
until it hits something...with magical presence, like...wall.

a wall has magical presence?i fail to see your argument...magic does not necessarily affect only things that are magic...that's why you can disintigrate the completely mundane castle walls to get inside the castle without dealing with troublesome guards...(but that's beside the point)...

The nature of this girl is fundamentally different than anything else's...we suppose...not only can she not practice magic but magic is actually averted by her...magic missiles going through her?The op described it pretty much as a personal AMF of sorts. Thus they would either disappear, or as i said, maybe reflected or pass around her AMF.

Serpentine
2007-10-05, 11:42 PM
Being a classical mythology/history dork, I'm a big fan of using Greek for names: Zoi (Spirit), Moira (Destiny), or Alethea (Truth).

As others have mentioned, I like the idea of a Spellthief (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a) with high Spell Resistance. Maybe an albino drow that thinks she's an elf, or something similar. Fax has a really great guide for how to play a Spellthief, btw, so look it up if you go that direction.

Another option is to make yourself a medium sized, very well made flesh golem. That would make you immune to magic, and would explain any memory problems you'd want to give her. Then you could take levels of the Reforged prestige class, which is for warforged who want to be "more alive."

You may also wish to consider a psionic class and/or race. If your DM uses the transparency rules, then power resistance = spell resistance.

Also remember the golden rule of exposition in D&D - backstory is best demonstrated through actions and interaction, not narrated through monologue. Regardless, its a great idea. I hope it works out.

For starters, I am the DM :smalltongue: She's more of a... future plot tool than a character. I've already decided that she'll be human, though they are good ideas for such a character. We don't have psionics in our game, but the bf/player/co-DM did suggest the idea of using it for her, as she is, after all, a unique creature. So thanks for reminding me, I have to have a look at those rules. As for the names, they're lovely (ah Medea, so tragic...), but she's from a South American-like continent. I'll probably just look them up on the 'net, but if anyone knows a reasonably common, basic, native South American name, it'd be helpful.
I will have her give those around her a vague feeling of unease. Not to the extreme of that Warhammer character, more like... if she were in a 16th century rural village, she'd be one of the first to be accused of being a witch because she's strange and makes people uncomfortable.
Magic missile, I think, won't be able to target her, and will just fly in a straight line. It will probably just hit and fizzle, but I'm interested in the idea of having her reflect spells back. A later development, perhaps, that may lead to the absorption and expulsion of spells as raw magic? Or vice-versa? Hm, something to ponder... The idea of spells diverting around her also has merit, and fits in with the "magic antipathy" thing.

By the way, the last post has me wondering... Can Magic Missile be used on objects? I presume it says in the rules, so I should have a look.

kpenguin
2007-10-06, 12:13 AM
I remember a movie from way back when called Flight of Dragons or something similar. Essentially a story of time travel where a young scientist is called back in order to help save a world of magic. To make a long story short, he eventually defeats the BBEG by spouting out his scientific knowledge, explaining how and why his magic is impossible.

I think this would be a really cool concept to implement for this girl, maybe tying her dispelling powers to Knowledge (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc.) and tacking on the ability to destroy magical special abilities and eventually kill impossible creatures.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-10-06, 12:16 AM
Personally, I like the idea of the character being unable to benefit from magic at all as well as being able to suppress harmful magic of all types. This plays out as a double edged sword if she is to have an anti-magic field about her. I'd give it a range of personal at level 1, and add 5 feet per level. The dispelling touch is a grand idea all alone. As a capstone though, I'd give her the dreaded Disjunction with a percent chance triggered by damage. When dropped below 25% there is a 25% chance of it going off. Same at 50, 75, and dropped. This makes her a possible threat to everyone if brought to harm, and still keeps with the whole devoid of magic theme.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-06, 03:01 AM
More, slightly South Americany names:

Tlala,
Xochiquetzal,
Chalchiuhtlicue,
Huixtocihuatl,
Matlalcueitl,
Atlacamani,
Chalchiuhtotolissa,
Ilamatecuhtli,
Malinalxochitl (particularly good, Aztec goddess of magic),
Teteoinnan,
Ahkna,
Uayaba,
Chibirias.

I hope some of those were good.

Serpentine
2007-10-06, 03:21 AM
Perfect. Thank you. The long ones are a tad long and complex... on the other hand, they could make good role-playing nicknaming... Great ^_^

edit: Wait, isn't Huixtocihuatl the Aztec god of war and scariness? :smallconfused:

CharPixie
2007-10-06, 03:33 AM
Mia means mother, fyi.

Keymort
2007-10-06, 03:46 AM
Yeah, there's actually a book I've read with a character EXACTLY like that... Did you get the idea from the book?

Don't try to pull out allready made stuff from the books...
This is your campaign. Just grant her magic immunity (she unfortunately won't be able to be healed) and then say she's got a +2 Challenge Rating because no healing is a mighty big drawback.
Possibly make her a rogue who uses a bow and wears as much armour as possible to compensate.

Maybe you could have her die near the end, and create role-playing tension with her lack of beng able to be healed.