PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Has anyone combine Spheres of Power and Words of Power in a setting?

StSword
2019-04-12, 04:36 PM
I was rereading the Skybourne Players Guide, with it's version of the rituals rules that are open to both regular spellcasters and spherecasters alike, and I could see a setting in which words of power magic (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/words-of-power/) is the new derivative magic .

So wordcasting would be a breakthrough in ritual magic, that some people figured out enough about ritual magic to effectively create rapid fire rituals.

The fact that word of power magic can't duplicate every spell, and hence every ritual, would be because word of power is new, new spell words would presumably be invented as people worked on it.

To represent the origin of words of power in this hypothetical setting, Spell Dabbler and Spell Adept would be available to word of power casters, replacing the spell point cost with spell slots/spells memorized, as is appropriate for the wordcaster's class. Wordcasting classes with access to bonus feats should definitely add the Spell Dabbler feats to appropriate options.

Which would eliminate the most common complaint I hear about wordcasting, that it can't do every individual spell.

So has anyone played a game that had spherecasting and wordcasting but not regular vanilla spellcasting? How did everything work out?

noob
2019-04-12, 04:52 PM
Wordcasting can be easily improved to contain all the spells the players wants: you just have to use a generic conversion formulae.
On the other hand keeping it as it is probably works rather fine.
Watch out for nova potential: while sphere casting have a lot of endurance(you can possibly spend a spell point per turn for a lot of turns in a row even at rather low levels) wordcasting have a few high level slots then lower level slots which are less strong but the strong slots are really strong.