PDA

View Full Version : Flour Power vs Invisibility

SangoProduction
2019-04-12, 04:50 PM
So, very classic counter to invisibility: Burst a pack of flour, covering everything and everyone in the area. Thusly, there are a few possible interactions I could think of with Invisibility, depending on how it works.

1) Invisibility is effectively suppressed until flour has been removed. (Probably as a full round action or at minimum std action to jump around and swat it off....Drawing attacks of opportunity, in all likelihood.)
2) The flour acts like another layer of "clothing," and becomes invisible as well.

Actually...I think that's it, other than the fact that you'd probably be able to tell what square they're in, by tracking the movement of flour (negating or reducing the penalty to perception), regardless of how Invisibility acts.

So, how does this interaction really work?

Alabenson
2019-04-12, 04:57 PM
I would probably rule that the flour downgrades the invisibility to just concealment; enemies can see where you are, but their attacks still have a 20% miss chance.

Troacctid
2019-04-12, 05:04 PM
The rules actually cover this. It works exactly like Alabenson said. See Dungeonscape.

Selion
2019-04-12, 05:23 PM
Take a sack of a few kg of flour, burst it open and see what area you can realistically cover. I think that you can affect effectively only one square, and only if your enemy is unable to dodge it someway.
If i were the DM i would rule this way:
- select a 1.5 m x 1.5 m square
- roll to hit against your target touch AC
- roll for total concealment
If you hit the target, he is no more invisible, but he has partial concealment (in a similar way as the blur spell)
Think from the other side: you are invisible, a guy has a bunch of flour, ready to throw it at you, i think it's unlikely that he could cover you with a fair amount of flour without knowing your position.

Vaern
2019-04-12, 05:56 PM
Invisibility says that items dropped by the affected creature become visible, and items picked up by the creature disappears if concealed by means such as tucking the item under their clothing or into a pouch, though it doesn't say that the item becomes invisible or if the disappeared item remains invisible if it is removed from such concealment. As an item that was not on the affected creature's person when the spell was cast, I don't see any reason that the flour should become invisible.

ericgrau
2019-04-13, 11:18 AM
So, very classic counter to invisibility: Burst a pack of flour, covering everything and everyone in the area. Thusly, there are a few possible interactions I could think of with Invisibility, depending on how it works.

1) Invisibility is effectively suppressed until flour has been removed. (Probably as a full round action or at minimum std action to jump around and swat it off....Drawing attacks of opportunity, in all likelihood.)
2) The flour acts like another layer of "clothing," and becomes invisible as well.

Actually...I think that's it, other than the fact that you'd probably be able to tell what square they're in, by tracking the movement of flour (negating or reducing the penalty to perception), regardless of how Invisibility acts.

So, how does this interaction really work?

I think I saw it in a FAQ or somewhere. You get the creature's square but as far as I can tell he still has a 50% miss chance. The SRD has some related comments: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility . I can understand the rule/argument for regular concealment (20% miss chance) if a big burst of flour is used and you hit the creature. But if it's merely covering the floor (showing footprints or more) and maybe you nicked his feet from 10' away then IMO 50% is good.

Flour is very difficult to remove completely in 6 seconds so for combat purposes I'd say it's not removable. Spend a minute washing it off, ok.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-13, 12:02 PM
Loading a sand (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444154-MM3-Sand-Blaster-Exotic-Weapon-Optimization) blaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415149-Sand-Blaster-MM3) with flour would give you a 10' cone, or perhaps a lot larger if you optimized it as a +1 distance weapon and had Far Shot. It's not really sand, though it could easily work in a similar fashion, given its fine granularity.