PDA

View Full Version : 5e D&D Versatile Fighting Style

Brother12
2019-04-12, 05:07 PM
I've seen other ideas for a versatile weapon fighting style and would like to know opinions on mine.

Versatile Fighting Style
When wielding a weapon with the versatile trait, you gain a +1 to attack rolls with that weapon. In addition, you gain +1 to damage rolls and the ability to Shove as a bonus action when wielding that weapon in both hands.

Thanks for any feedback!

nickl_2000
2019-04-12, 05:08 PM
Way to powerful. Get rid of the shove option and then it would likely be fine.

Brother12
2019-04-12, 05:21 PM
Okay, I wanted it to be more interesting than just numbers. What do you think about taking away the damage bonus?

nickl_2000
2019-04-12, 06:14 PM
Except many fighting styles are just numbers.

+1 AC, +2 to hit, +2 damage, +damage mod for offhand weapon, re-roll on 1 and 2.

The one that isn't just number is protection, and it's a reaction to impose disadvantage on a single attack. I think a bonus action shove is still to good (even on it's own).

I will think about other options and see if I can think of a suitable choice.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more appropriate it seems like it would be if it had a slightly different effect if you are wielding with 2 hands or one. It seems like it would be fitting with the intent.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-12, 06:32 PM
+1 to hit when wielding it in one hand, +1 damage when wielding it in two? That's my version, anyway. Encourages switchng it up.

Potato_Priest
2019-04-12, 06:56 PM
+1 to hit when wielding it in one hand, +1 damage when wielding it in two? That's my version, anyway. Encourages switchng it up.

But isn't +1 to hit mathematically superior to +1 to damage ~80% of the time? I know that if I had to pick one, I'd go for the hit bonus and never look back.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-12, 08:04 PM
But isn't +1 to hit mathematically superior to +1 to damage ~80% of the time? I know that if I had to pick one, I'd go for the hit bonus and never look back.
Wait shoot I wrote that wrong-- it's supposed to be +1 AC when wielded in one hand. You swing with two hands on your turn, then parry with one hand for the rest.

Potato_Priest
2019-04-12, 08:12 PM
Wait shoot I wrote that wrong-- it's supposed to be +1 AC when wielded in one hand. You swing with two hands on your turn, then parry with one hand for the rest.

Ah, ok. That's really quite well done then, I like it!

JNAProductions
2019-04-12, 09:12 PM

So, because switching handedness is not an action, you get +1 damage whenever you swing, and +1 AC at all times when not swinging?

At that point, you might as well just grant both at all times.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-12, 09:19 PM
So, because switching handedness is not an action, you get +1 damage whenever you swing, and +1 AC at all times when not swinging?

At that point, you might as well just grant both at all times.
Well, yeah, but it feels more thematic presented like this.

JNAProductions
2019-04-12, 09:23 PM
Well, yeah, but it feels more thematic presented like this.

You're better than that, Grod. :P

In all seriousness, I have no issues with the balance on it, but it feels like it'd be easy for a gotcha DM to, if a player forgets to declare their handedness, punish them for it.

Potato_Priest
2019-04-12, 09:30 PM
You're better than that, Grod. :P

In all seriousness, I have no issues with the balance on it, but it feels like it'd be easy for a gotcha DM to, if a player forgets to declare their handedness, punish them for it.

Seems to me you should design features for good DMs rather than hedge one's bets against the bad: they're going to be able to be jerks no matter what.

JNAProductions
2019-04-12, 09:31 PM
Seems to me you should design features for good DMs rather than hedge one's bets against the bad: they're going to be able to be jerks no matter what.

Fair, but there's no need to empower them either.

And even good DMs (probably inexperienced ones, but not needfully bad) might think that the player is supposed to choose between the two bonuses on a turn-to-turn basis, and not have them on demand.

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-13, 11:35 AM
How about just increasing the die size by one? I don't think I've ever seen that used on a homebrewed fighting style. Versatile property already plays with dice size, so we might as well expand on that.

It's not exciting, but at least it's original.

Or use Kane0's ruling: +1 to hit and damage when wielding a versatile weapon with both hands.