PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next College of the Cantor

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-12, 05:14 PM
College of the Cantor
Religion and music. Music and religion. Some are drawn to one, or the other, or neither--or both.

Sacred Music: Beginning at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Religion, if you did not already have it. If you were already proficient in Religion, you gain proficiency in a different skill or tool of your choice. In addition, you learn one Cleric cantrip of your choice, along with Cure Wounds and Guiding Bolt. These spells are bard spells, and do not count against your number of spells or cantrips known.

Song of the Divine: Beginning at 3rd level, you may expend three Bardic Inspiration dice as an action to use one of the following Channel Divinity options. If your maximum number of inspiration dice is less than three, you may instead expend all of them to use this ability.

Turn Undead: As an action, each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.
Holy Fever: As an action, you may grant all allies within 30ft temporary hit points equal to your level plus your Charisma modifier. These temporary hit points lasts for 1 minute.

Healing Hymn: Beginning at 6th level, your Song of Rest ability allows allies to regain additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier. In addition, if you spend ten minutes performing for an injured ally, you may end one of the following effects on the them:

One effect that charmed or petrified the target
One curse, including the target’s attunement to a cursed magic item
Any reduction to one of the target’s ability scores
One effect reducing the target’s hit point maximum

Divine Blessing: Beginning at 14th level, whenever a creature expends one of your Bardic Inspiration dice, they regain hit points equal to their roll, and the next time they roll damage before the end of their turn they deal bonus radiant damage equal to their roll.

In addition, you only need to expend two dice when using your Song of the Divine ability.

Brother12
2019-04-12, 05:29 PM
I like this. The price for Song of the Divine is a little steep, but the other level 3 ability makes up for that in my opinion.

KOLE
2019-04-13, 02:10 PM
I love this, this is a well put together class, an interesting concept that I can actually see in play. It makes the support role of the Bard even better. My one comment would be that Holy Fever is sort of lame. Max 5 temporary hit points for three bardic inspiration die? That's steep. What if it was equal to your bard level? Or, the temporary HP equals the roll of the three die, maybe even with your charisma or wisdom modifier. That would square it out in my opinion and keep it relevant.

This is an option I can see introducing to my table. A Hymn singing bard would be instantly iconic, an interesting character to explore, and a fun subversion of the usual class stereotypes. Thanks for presenting this!

Also, what about giving expertise in Religion at level 3?

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-13, 02:20 PM
Thanks, guys!

I like this. The price for Song of the Divine is a little steep, but the other level 3 ability makes up for that in my opinion.
I wanted to make sure they didn't outshine the Cleric at one of their main schticks (Turning). 3 dice means that it's a 1/short rest option throughout the game.

I love this, this is a well put together class, an interesting concept that I can actually see in play. It makes the support role of the Bard even better. My one comment would be that Holy Fever is sort of lame. Max 5 temporary hit points for three bardic inspiration die? That's steep. What if it was equal to your bard level? Or, the temporary HP equals the roll of the three die, maybe even with your charisma or wisdom modifier. That would square it out in my opinion and keep it relevant.
Level+Cha is probably more fair, yeah.

Also, what about giving expertise in Religion at level 3?
Eh, Bards get two Expertise-s at level 3 anyway. I don't want to overload things.

KOLE
2019-04-13, 02:33 PM
I wanted to make sure they didn't outshine the Cleric at one of their main schticks (Turning). 3 dice means that it's a 1/short rest option throughout the game.

Most Clerics I've played with hardly touch turning in favor of their domain Divinity anyway, but that's a fair point.

Level+Cha is probably more fair, yeah.

I think this is the best solution.

Eh, Bards get two Expertise-s at level 3 anyway. I don't want to overload things.

Ooops, I thought that expertise at level 3 was a feature of Lore Bards. My bad! In that case, it's good as is.

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-13, 02:59 PM
I love the idea. The multi target Aura support class is something I've loved playing in all fantasy mediums :)

Healing Hymn is definitely my style (of music ;) )

I would actually love to play an entire class solely based on auras and multitarget buffing.

Guidence, song of rest, inspiration feat, bardic inspiration, bless, Heroism. These are my Jams.

I'd actually commission that kind of class, alongside the request of it having a pretty beefy damaging cantrip, if commissioning homebrewes was an option.

The inspire cleric is pretty close, though (see sig)

theVoidWatches
2019-04-13, 03:38 PM
It's pretty close because the character I'm planning for Grod's next campaign is intended to be a bard/cleric character. We decided that he would make a cleric-y bard subclass, and I would make a bard-y cleric subclass, and then I'd decide which I wanted to play.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-14, 08:57 AM
I'd actually commission that kind of class, alongside the request of it having a pretty beefy damaging cantrip, if commissioning homebrewes was an option.
Oh, I dunno, I could be persuaded... are you thinking something more caster-y, more warlord-y, or somewhere in between?

Potato_Priest
2019-04-14, 01:55 PM
I would change the feature that gives you religion proficiency to make it so that if you already have Religion, you get an extra skill of your choice. That way there's not a disincentive for having the religion skill at level 1.

Also, on the off chance that your charisma modifier is less than +3, you should be able to spend all of your inspiration dice to use song of the divine.

Bloodcloud
2019-04-15, 09:25 AM
Might want to enter that in the sublass challenge. It's rather fitting.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-15, 10:58 AM
I would change the feature that gives you religion proficiency to make it so that if you already have Religion, you get an extra skill of your choice. That way there's not a disincentive for having the religion skill at level 1.

Also, on the off chance that your charisma modifier is less than +3, you should be able to spend all of your inspiration dice to use song of the divine.
Good call.

Might want to enter that in the sublass challenge. It's rather fitting.
Eh, it's already posted here, I don't think I can now.