PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Optimized Build!

Aleister VII
2019-04-12, 09:23 PM
Hey everyone! I'm about to DM a campaign in which the players are sucked into the game and are forced to be the PC that they just created, I think it will be something fun to role play but anyways the thing is that my players weren't the first ones to being sucked into the game, a super optimizer player and his party were also trapped, most of the party eventually retired from adventuring as it was much harder than what they expected but the optimizer..? He's quite OP and keep adventuring until he reached level 20 and he's still around.

So what level 20 build is the strongest by any means? I need all, versatility, mass control, single damage, flashy displays of power and efficiency, so far I'm considering paladin/sorcerer, paladin/warlock or warlock/fighter but I'm not sure which one is the best or if I'm overlooking other possible builds, please help me!

JNAProductions
2019-04-12, 09:25 PM
Anyone with access to the following spells:

Wish and Simulacrum.

Cast Simulacrum normally, after a good night's rest.
Have your Sim cast Wish to duplicate the effects of Simulacrum on the PC.
Have the new Sim do the same thing.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.

Congrats. You have an army of 20th level Wizards or Bards or something.

XmonkTad
2019-04-12, 10:51 PM
A Coffelock who has never slept. If it's been a few months or years, then you could work the math, but it's easier to say they just have unlimited spell slots. Maybe toss in a few levels of paladin so it can sling unlimited level-5-slot smites around.

Or it could be an "arcane programmer" mage who has decked himself out in omniscient info-gathering and repeating Magic Mouth items.

Teaguethebean
2019-04-13, 12:11 AM
A while back my Brother made a build abusing warforged into doing something terrible and here it is

The base of this build is an envoy with a stat layout of 14 8 14 16 9 14 (the dex and wis are changeable based on preference or feat capability) then comes the meat of this build
2 levels of wizard and 2 levels of paladin. You start paladin for the heavy armor proficiency and the other neat stuff, then go into bladesinger wizard. (I know its usually for elves but it even says in the class to free feel to ignore that restriction) so now when you blade sing you get access to heavy armor and holy smiting. At level 4 you can have an ac of 21 and as you level up your ac keeps improving through integrated armor and bladesong, making this class nigh impervious to attack rolls of low level creatures. He also blasts very hard with a combination of smite spells holy smites and bladesinging cantrips.

As the class progresses i would probably have 4 levels of paladin for the asi then focus on wizarding whilst also being a formidable nearly unhittable frontline nuker.

For magic items it would probably be something along the lines of a cloak of displacement, bracers of defense (no shield no armor), and a belt of storm giant strength This would make the endgame ac jump to a ridiculously high 31 ac with all attacks having disadvantage at level 20 and with a shield spell an ac of 36 meaning that i would be unhittable by almost anything unless they get a 1/400 nat 20 with disadvantage.

The build hinges on the fact that a warforged isn't wearing heavy armor and therefore isn't stopping blade song from activating so you just get a stupid high ac and the build grants simulacrum at lv 17 but idk if this would be a good fit as an uninhabitable villain isn't very fun

Yunru
2019-04-13, 12:23 AM
Anyone with access to the following spells:

Wish and Simulacrum.

Cast Simulacrum normally, after a good night's rest.
Have your Sim cast Wish to duplicate the effects of Simulacrum on the PC.
Have the new Sim do the same thing.
Repeat.

Congrats. You have an army of 20th level Wizards or Bards or something.

Alternatively, wish-cast Simulacrum as a Sorcerer. Spell slots don't recharge for the simulacrum, but Sorcery Points do.

GentlemanVoodoo
2019-04-13, 12:28 AM
Hey everyone! I'm about to DM a campaign in which the players are sucked into the game and are forced to be the PC that they just created, I think it will be something fun to role play but anyways the thing is that my players weren't the first ones to being sucked into the game, a super optimizer player and his party were also trapped, most of the party eventually retired from adventuring as it was much harder than what they expected but the optimizer..? He's quite OP and keep adventuring until he reached level 20 and he's still around.

So what level 20 build is the strongest by any means? I need all, versatility, mass control, single damage, flashy displays of power and efficiency, so far I'm considering paladin/sorcerer, paladin/warlock or warlock/fighter but I'm not sure which one is the best or if I'm overlooking other possible builds, please help me!

If considering these combinations, Hexblade Warlock and Forge Domain Cleric work nicely together. Hexblade will provide a good roster of smites as the paladin while also taking advantage of some of the more powerful invocations and magic combinations like Darkness/Devil Sight. The Forge Domain of the Cleric essentially turns you into a tank while granting you the nice magic heals and other Cleric buffs. And to address stats, Wisdom and Charisma with some Constitution is all that is really needed which if min/maxing then a Half Elf will fit the build. Take the feats War Caster and Toughness. Some build may be better in a for finite area but this one really is a solid all around.

Talionis
2019-04-13, 05:00 AM
This would appeal to me. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?585659-Character-Build-The-Eternal-Cockroach

I would also look at Moon Druid with a Knowledge Cleric dip. Since huge bonuses to Knowledge and survivability would be priorities for me.

Benny89
2019-04-13, 05:55 AM
1. Wish and Sim loop from Wizard. If you want to add little bit of min-max there go 1 Fighter/19 Wizard for plate armor, proficiency in CON saves nad shields and take War Caster later somewhere to be 20 AC battle wizard.

2. Sorcadins 6/14 - best Vengeance/Divine Soul. At level 20 you are basicelly unkillable and you have Nova power to bring down any baddy while standing on his face. At least this is legit powerbuild that does not use RAW loophole/exploit like 1 and 3.

3. Coffelock but that is like... really really streching RAW. According to Jeremy Sage Advice- Pact Magic does not work with Font of Magic, but if your DM is dumb and can't RAI at all- Coffelock is MEGA broken - infinite spells all day, yay.

4. Sorlock 3/17 is very strong, but again- it's legit powerbuild that does not use loophole.

5. Couple other notorious powerbuilds but much less cancerous than 1 and 3 and not as OP like 2 and 4: Crossbow Expert Battlemaster, Wood Elf Samurai/Gloom Stalker/Assassin, Hexadins, Bardadins, Moon Druids/Barbarians (thought only on Tier 1 and 2 they are really OP). Probably couple of others but those are imo most famous.

Unoriginal
2019-04-13, 06:05 AM
This would appeal to me. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?585659-Character-Build-The-Eternal-Cockroach

It's certainly not the most powerful by any standards.

Dualswinger
2019-04-13, 06:06 AM
The most borken dumb build I can think of is the aforementioned Wish-sim combo, but with an illusionist Wizard who casts mirage arcane. The sims are used to counter-dispel magic to anyone who would try and dispel or anti-magic field your domain, and Mirage Arcane turns you into a god for a mile radius when you can alter the terrain and summoned buildings at will.

Talionis
2019-04-13, 07:53 AM
It's certainly not the most powerful by any standards.

No but it’s a very safe Defensive build. Really high saves. High AC. Good HP and Temp HP.

If I were living in a role play world I would probably be Defensive minded and cautious

HamsterKun
2019-04-14, 07:44 PM
My views on over-optimization: Great for combat, bad or RPing. From all the **** I’ve dealt with as a player and a DM, I’ve stumbled upon my fair share of munchkins and Mary Sues.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-14, 08:04 PM
A wizard who abuses every spell available to him.

Years ago he cloned a Warlord (http://chisaipete.github.io/bestiary/creatures/warlord), or perhaps a 20th level barbarian PC (one of his old adventuring party perhaps) and subsequently used Magic Jar to inhabit the body of the clone. He keeps a Demiplane full of backup bodies. His actual body is held inside a gemstone (via the Imprisonment spell) he wears on his person, with the imprisonment set to end whenever his soul returns to his real body. So in the event that someone manages to land a Dispel Magic on him sufficient to undo the Magic Jar and evict him from his bomb-ass bod he safely pops right back into his own (at full HP, ready to rock) and can Planeshift himself out of there.

He has another Demiplane full of Clones of his real body too, in case of death. He keeps several "Buffing Parlor" Demiplanes around full of a dazzling array of personal buffs stored inside Glyphs of Warding, so he can pop off and make himself into a Tarrasque-murdering melee god whenever he needs to.

Because he occupies a cloned body, he's native to the demiplane that clone was created in. As such, he can use the Banishment spell on himself to return to that plane cheaply. He has Banishment set up as his Contingency for this purpose. His Charisma score is 8, so he automatically fails the save.

Obviously he uses a Simulacrum of himself, so there's a very minimal chance you're ever fighting the real guy.

Yunru
2019-04-16, 12:35 PM
My views on over-optimization: Great for combat, bad or RPing. From all the **** I’ve dealt with as a player and a DM, I’ve stumbled upon my fair share of munchkins and Mary Sues.

Stormwind Fallacy much?