PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Arcane spellcaster with a little rogue in there needs some help

Klorox
2019-04-12, 09:34 PM
Hey guys. I have my character concept down, but I’m not sure which actually plays better. Please help me out.

Character 1: arcane trickster 3/bladesinger X
Eladrin (DMG) 8/16/13/16/12/10

Character 2: rogue 2/bladesinger X
Eladrin (DMG) 8/16/13/16/12/10

Character 3: swashbuckler 3/draconic sorcerer X
Half elf 8/16/14/10/12/16

Character 1 will have so many magical tricks, especially with mage hand legerdemain. I find that ability a lot of fun.

Character 2 is the best spellcaster, and cunning action helps a lot.

Character 3 seems to have the most synergy, as CHA helps both the swashbuckler and sorcerer side of things. I have no doubt that I need to pump CHA before anything else, while with bladesingers DEX and INT are both really handy.
This character will likely be the only arcane caster in the party. I love the tactical angle of this game, and I know the goodness of booming blade on Character 3.

It appears all three characters will be about on par in melee, but I also know that won’t be this characters main job (although I do love the gish feel of being able to handle myself if caught in melee).

Corran
2019-04-12, 09:44 PM
Character #2 is a strong option, I would go with that if all else was equal.

strangebloke
2019-04-12, 09:45 PM
I would recommend build two.

Mage Hand Legermain is very fun and only you can decide if its worth it or not. But in general, you will not regret getting your spellcasting rolling earlier.

Build 3 is the weakest one here. Sorcerers sorta work alright as gishes, but their biggest trick is being able to quicken spells, something which isn't so useful to the rogue who already has a pretty clean action economy. The hefty AC bonuses from bladesong are a lot better. If you really want the bonus damage, just go for an evocation wizard. With Sorcerer, you'll also miss out on ritual casting, and as the only caster in the party, that's something that you really don't want to miss. Don't go for Sorcerer unless you really want subtle or something similar.

Talionis
2019-04-13, 05:32 AM
Depends where you are starting and how high you plan to go. Getting Spell Mastery on a Wizard at level 18 is awesome but it sounds to me like you really want Arcane Trickster.

Klorox
2019-04-13, 06:08 AM
Depends where you are starting and how high you plan to go. Getting Spell Mastery on a Wizard at level 18 is awesome but it sounds to me like you really want Arcane Trickster.

Starting at level 2 (I was to be 1/1 for the first session), and going to about 15.

Klorox
2019-04-13, 06:11 AM
I would recommend build two.

Mage Hand Legermain is very fun and only you can decide if its worth it or not. But in general, you will not regret getting your spellcasting rolling earlier.

Build 3 is the weakest one here. Sorcerers sorta work alright as gishes, but their biggest trick is being able to quicken spells, something which isn't so useful to the rogue who already has a pretty clean action economy. The hefty AC bonuses from bladesong are a lot better. If you really want the bonus damage, just go for an evocation wizard. With Sorcerer, you'll also miss out on ritual casting, and as the only caster in the party, that's something that you really don't want to miss. Don't go for Sorcerer unless you really want subtle or something similar.

It seems like I’m down to 1 or 2.

I know I asked about optimization, but the mage hand legerdemain really makes me want that third rogue level. Fun is more important than having a more powerful spellcaster(on paper). Plus, the utility, in itself, is quite powerful.

strangebloke
2019-04-13, 09:58 PM
It seems like I’m down to 1 or 2.

I know I asked about optimization, but the mage hand legerdemain really makes me want that third rogue level. Fun is more important than having a more powerful spellcaster(on paper). Plus, the utility, in itself, is quite powerful.

It is a very fun ability, and I couldn't agree more about what you said about fun. I spoke about optimization because I can't really say how fun something may or may not be for you.

Go for it!

Talionis
2019-04-14, 09:42 PM
Starting at level 2 (I was to be 1/1 for the first session), and going to about 15.
Go for One. Get Arcane Trickster at 3. Then go into Bladesinger. You will be even with Paladins and Rangers casting by level 6 and you’ll quickly outpace and be only slightly behind full casters. But you’ll have an arcane Trickster and Rogue abilities that aren’t easily replicated. Honestly you’re only one level behind you plan Two. Have more to do when you run out of spells. Be more sneaky and on theme. I doubt you’ll regret it.