PDA

View Full Version : Theatrically reflavoring monk features and elemental disciplines

Shuruke
2019-04-12, 10:00 PM
So I have a fun character idea whom is making a style of martial arts to create his own monastic order
The order of the Lunging Pheonix

It'll be around using thrusting weapons with elegant attacks and disengaged followed by attacks of deceptively long reach

He uses a rapier but the order Could use any weapon like dagger, spear , etc.
When not using rapier he uses a dagger that is re-flavored as a ring with a long blade.

Things along lines of dodge being a feathery cloak of flames swirling with u as u move making it hard to get close

Dash being like riding flames from avatar last air bender (later evolving into fly spell)

These aren't set in stone just ideas.

Sweeping cinder strike (burning hands) I am having issues with
Maybe fiery wings that brush a thing of flames forward (which fits the part but not really the style of that makes sense)

Fangs of fire snake I am also unsure of could just reflavor it as piercing shots of flame

The build idea is
Way of four element monk no mc

Race is Tabaxi

Stats
Str 18
Dex 16
Con 15
Int 10
Wis 18
Cha 16

Will be using strength for damage and have it higher than dex for sake of jumping distances (plan on being able to do long jumps and high jumps rather well.)

Feats/asi (not worried about 20 in anything but wis)
4- will be either martial adept lunging strike and disarm strike
Plan on bumping wis to 20 at 8
And 12 I am unsure for feat or etc, probably mobile but ideas are welcome, sentinel fits thematically

Elemental disciplines/ spells known

3rd , grabbing fang of fire snake

6th, getting rid of elemental atunement for burning hands, grabbing scorching ray from my boros legionaire background spell list (approved by DM)

Then picking up fly

Note: stats were rolled for on a discord bot, we rolled 3 sets of 4d6 and picked out favorite. I do not need to be completely optimized hence why the build. It is mainly an rp group and their will be 2 new members of the five so wanna make sure they have time to shine. The campaigns with this dm typically go to 12 (occasionally up to 20)

Tldr: fun ways to reflavor mechanics of the monk for a more fiery and lunge/accurate strike theme

stoutstien
2019-04-12, 10:22 PM
Have you looked at soul sun monk yet? I think it may work really well for this idea

Shuruke
2019-04-12, 10:38 PM
Have you looked at soul sun monk yet? I think it may work really well for this idea

I did But sun soul doesn't really scratch the itch of a fire monk that elegantly dances witg weapon

They get cheaper fireball and better action economy on burning hand

However at time of fireball ill be flying
I like the idea of theatrically increasing reach rather than throwing a ranged attack, and it just fits what I'm looking for more flavor wise (character has flames dyed into fur)