PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [AL] Help making an 8int wizard playable.

Hipno
2019-04-13, 08:30 AM
Im thinking of rolling up a Kobold Wizard with 8 int. I just like the idea of a 2' tall Kobold wearing nothing bard hat, and carrying a wand like a staff, and a dagger like a sword (Gandalf style), believing himself to be the "Greetest Lizard of ever time!", whilst he cant even read, and his spellbook is full of crude drawings and meaningless scribbles. Im thinking that a wizard took him in as an apprentice as a bet (My Fair Lady style).

Im thinking his starting stats will be (after racial): 9Str 20Dex 10Con 8Int 10Wis 13Cha

For spells, im thinking of grabbing things like Magic Missile, Colour Spray, Sleep, that dont have an attack roll/save, and then mostly rituals (as ill have very little prepared spells to work with).

I think this character will be interesting to play (especial RP-wise). My issue is that i would like him to actually be somewhat of a useful party member in combat, and not to end up just being carried by the group (or worse becoming a hindrance). I would appreciate any advice on how to make him more of a useful teammate.

Wildarm
2019-04-13, 08:33 AM
Im thinking of rolling up a Kobold Wizard with 8 int. I just like the idea of a 2' tall Kobold wearing nothing bard hat, and carrying a wand like a staff, and a dagger like a sword (Gandalf style), believing himself to be the "Greetest Lizard of ever time!", whilst he cant even read, and his spellbook is full of crude drawings and meaningless scribbles. Im thinking that a wizard took him in as an apprentice as a bet (My Fair Lady style).

Im thinking his starting stats will be (after racial): 9Str 20Dex 10Con 8Int 10Wis 13Cha

For spells, im thinking of grabbing things like Magic Missile, Colour Spray, Sleep, that dont have an attack roll/save, and then mostly rituals (as ill have very little prepared spells to work with).

I think this character will be interesting to play (especial RP-wise). My issue is that i would like him to actually be somewhat of a useful party member in combat, and not to end up just being carried by the group (or worse becoming a hindrance). I would appreciate any advice on how to make him more of a useful teammate.

Picking up the mobility feat and booming blade cantrip would make him perfectly functional as a surgical striker. Plenty of fantastic spells that don't require a spell attack roll or save. Focus on buffs. Use magic missle when you need damage. Otherwise, dash in and out of combat hitting with booming blade. Preferably vs an opponent who is already engaged with a foe for pack tactics.

nickl_2000
2019-04-13, 08:35 AM
It's not possible in AL, but you really need BB and GFB to make this character work well in combat.

You can focus on self buff and party buff, but you really need some stable to be useful and for a Wizard with 8 int it needs to be one of the Blade cantrips.

Also, how are you hitting 20 Dex in AL at level 1?

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-13, 08:55 AM
The first couple levels are going to be the hardest. As you note, stuff like Sleep and Magic Missile will be solid at low levels, and tier 2 staples like Animate Dead, Haste, Conjure Minor Elementals, and Polymorph don't care about your Int, but... until you have enough spell slots to regularly throw around leveled spells, you're going to have a rough time, because your cantrip options are bad. I'd say a light crossbow is your best bet, but it sounds like that won't fit your vision. Uh... Minor Illusion games and hope your dm cooperates?

For a stronger version of the same concept, how 'bout a Lore Bard who calls himself a wizard? You can stick to spells the appear on both lists, and pick up Wizardly staples via Ritual Caster and Magical Secrets as you go.

Hipno
2019-04-13, 08:58 AM
It's not possible in AL, but you really need BB and GFB to make this character work well in combat.

You can focus on self buff and party buff, but you really need some stable to be useful and for a Wizard with 8 int it needs to be one of the Blade cantrips.

Also, how are you hitting 20 Dex in AL at level 1?

My bad, just realised the character builder i was using let me put too many points into dex. Using the standard array, would be 10str 17dex 13con 8int 10wis 14cha. This would be the highest i could push dex right?

Digimike
2019-04-13, 09:17 AM
Portent could even make the occasional saving throw spell succeed on your behalf. RP wise it could add a fun "idiot know-it-all" aspect to the character who somehow is actually correct once in a while.

Hipno
2019-04-13, 09:36 AM
Portent could even make the occasional saving throw spell succeed on your behalf. RP wise it could add a fun "idiot know-it-all" aspect to the character who somehow is actually correct once in a while.

I like this idea, could maybe even lucky feat (if i dont need them all for more mechanical things). Could play it as he thinks he can "Smell the foocher!" always making wild predictions on things to come.

nickl_2000
2019-04-13, 09:40 AM
My bad, just realised the character builder i was using let me put too many points into dex. Using the standard array, would be 10str 17dex 13con 8int 10wis 14cha. This would be the highest i could push dex right?

I believe so, although I thought AL was point buy. Still the struggle with this char is what is your bread and butter cantrip? What is your default attack from tier 2 onwards?

In levels 1-4 you can easily use a crossbow with that Dex. Your damage will be comparable to an Archer fighter, but in tier 2 and beyond when people start getting 2 attacks you struggle since you really have no effective damaging cantrip with phb and volos only.

CTurbo
2019-04-13, 11:01 AM
I like the idea but with a Halfling(for Lucky) with the Lucky feat.

What Wizard school were you thinking? As mentioned above, Diviner for Portent would be fun. I'm having trouble deciding on which school would fit best thematically speaking.

Goblin would also work well for this with Nimble Escape.