PDA

View Full Version : E6 Build

Thinker
2007-10-02, 08:59 AM
Sometime soon a DM of mine is going to be running an E6 campaign in Eberron. For those of you unaware of E6, it is a set of house rules designed for low-level play. I am going to be playing a pixie, which means my point-buy is 0, but I still get all the other nifty pixie bonuses. My character will likely fill in the skill-monkey/face role for the group and I was wondering which classes would be good for this character. Even though it probably fits the best I already know I do not want to play a rogue. We will be starting at level 1 and because it is an E6 campaign there will be no more progression past 6th.

Edit: I forgot to mention I have access to all WoTC published DnD books except Forgotten Realms, which would probably have to be specially approved on a case-by-case basis.

squishycube
2007-10-02, 09:04 AM
Bard or scout are other classes with good skill points. Bard has the added bonus of being the classic class for party face.

Thinker
2007-10-02, 09:07 AM
Bard or scout are other classes with good skill points. Bard has the added bonus of being the classic class for party face.

Scout may be ok, but I don't think bard would be. I will probably have to be able to disable the traps and I know of nothing a bard can do that would allow him to do so.

Indon
2007-10-02, 09:29 AM
There aren't too many classes that gain Trapfinding. You could just take Rogue or Scout 1 and other classes for the remainder of your levels.

Overlard
2007-10-02, 09:33 AM
Beguiler, Spellthief, Factotum and Ninja all gain trapfinding at first level, and have the skills to back it up. Of those, I wholeheartedly recommend the Beguiler, with Factotum in second place.

Thinker
2007-10-02, 09:43 AM
Beguiler, Spellthief, Factotum and Ninja all gain trapfinding at first level, and have the skills to back it up. Of those, I wholeheartedly recommend the Beguiler, with Factotum in second place.

Given that my intelligence would have to be 14 do you think the save DCs would be high enough to justify a beguiler? Additionally, what would Factotum give me that would make it better than just playing a rogue?

Person_Man
2007-10-02, 09:51 AM
Are the E6 rules available anywhere online, or is it just something cooked up by your group?

Kurald Galain
2007-10-02, 09:52 AM
Given that my intelligence would have to be 14 do you think the save DCs would be high enough to justify a beguiler?

If you want to, yes. Beguilers can also do illusions, and buffing, and divination, and subdual damage. Plus at low levels, saving throws aren't that good, plus you can take spell focus.

Mr Croup
2007-10-02, 09:55 AM
Are the E6 rules available anywhere online, or is it just something cooked up by your group?

Here (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=202109)'s some good info on it.

Thinker
2007-10-02, 09:59 AM

Here (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=202109)'s some good info on it.

Croup's link is correct :smallsmile: In addition to these rules our DM has decided on no flaws, but we gain a bonus feat at level 2.

Indon
2007-10-02, 10:14 AM
Ninja would allow you to deal rogue-comparable damage in combat, since as a Pixie you'll be invisible to use Sudden Strike with impunity.

Draz74
2007-10-02, 12:05 PM
I vote for the Factotum. A Pixie Factotum is awesome. :smallbiggrin:

SoD
2007-10-02, 12:09 PM
Damnit! Beaten by one post on the Factotum idea!

Indon
2007-10-02, 12:28 PM
He asked for _why_ a Factotum would be better than a rogue.

Thinker
2007-10-02, 01:17 PM
Maybe I should rephrase a bit. I know of most of the skill-monkey classes:

Ranger (PHB)
Scout (CAdv)
Rogue (PHB)
Ninja (CAdv)
Factotum (DScape)
Beguiler (PHB2)
Bard (PHB)
Swordsage (ToB)
Spellthief (CAdv)
Psychic Rogue (here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b))

The question is what makes one superior to another for a Pixie with the following stats:
Str 4
Dex 16
Con 8
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 14

Draz74
2007-10-02, 01:32 PM
He asked for _why_ a Factotum would be better than a rogue.

And I answered that question. Because it's awesome. :smallcool: I don't have a particular mechanical reason in mind, I just think it's a really cool character concept, and would be fun to roleplay.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-02, 03:43 PM
Due to the lower levels, Factotum would probably work the best. Use Font of Inspiration to boost your IP and the feat detailed on the E6 rules thread to boost your Int.

Beguiler would still work well, since you will never get past 4th level spells. To raist the DC, feats can be used, or as mentioned above, you could just pump your Int.

The superiority comes from the Trapfinding, wide variety of skills (literally any skill you want), and the fact that you get Int to many skills which would otherwise be difficult for you (such as STR based skills). I should also note that Int and Cha are your second best stats anyway, and they are equal. Also that all of the skill monkey classes with trapfinding tend to rely on Int of Cha. Even spellthief is Cha.