PDA

View Full Version : Build advice- Human or Tiefling for a fiend warlock (mechanics)

Mikal
2019-04-13, 09:36 AM
Hey all, getting ready to join a new game, and wanted to get some feedback on which race to go with for a fiend blaster warlock.

EDIT: this discussion is just for mechanics only. I can handle the fluff on my own.

Rolled the dice for stats, got 17 15 13 13 12 9, and got three options I'm considering:
Human (shockingly, non variant as well as variant), and Tiefling

Here's how I see each option, and what they can provide. Not interested in half-elf or other races, considered them and narrowed it down. Also not looking to Sorlock it despite all the benefits one can get from them.

1) Non Variant Human:
With this I'd get 10-16-13-14-14-18 for stats. At level 4 I'd take Resilient: Con, and at 8 Charisma to 20, with other stats and feats to be considered later.
Pros: Overall the best stats and saves and ability checks. No odd scores after level 8, which personally irk me.
Cons: It's... so... bland.

2) Variant Human:
With this I'd get 9-16-14-12-13-18, having taken Resilient: Con as my level 1, and Charisma to 20 at level 4.
Pros: My 'necessary' stats and feat are taken care of by level 4 instead of level 8, allowing me more flexibility in later ASI/Feats.
Cons: Lower intelligence with regards to ability checks with it, and I'd have to use one of the ASI/Feats to either go +1 Str and Wis or get a +1 Wis feat, potentially negating that flexibility from above.

3) Tiefling (Glasya +1 Dex):
With this I'd get 9-16-13-12-13-19. At level 4 I'd take Infernal Constitution to gain resistance to cold and poison, advantage against poison saves, and +1 con. At level 8 I'd take Flames of Phlegestros for 20 cha, and the rerolls on fire spell damage. This would likely also cause me to take elemental adept (fire) at level 12 so that even if I somehow roll 1s twice, they become 2s.
Pros: Resistance to three damage types, plus a floating fourth once I hit Warlock 10, expanded cantrip and spell options.
Cons: Going this route does make it so I won't get those last odd scores to even until level 16 likely.

So, thoughts? Opinions?
Build wise since this will be with a bunch of newer people I'm going simple: Blaster warlock, and taking spells that go along with that.

CTurbo
2019-04-13, 10:12 AM
I like #2 best. Rounding out your Str and Int score is completely unimportant so you gain nothing really by having better dump stats from regular human. Plus #2 gets you an extra skill.

Honest Tiefling
2019-04-13, 10:55 AM
Perhaps think of it a different way? You have two mechanically solid choices in number 2 and 3. But I would ask you if you want that extra intelligence for roleplaying reasons, and what race you'd rather roleplay. You're going to be fine either way, but you might as well choose which option you'd feel more comfortable doing the non-blasty bits with.

Mikal
2019-04-13, 11:05 AM
Perhaps think of it a different way? You have two mechanically solid choices in number 2 and 3. But I would ask you if you want that extra intelligence for roleplaying reasons, and what race you'd rather roleplay. You're going to be fine either way, but you might as well choose which option you'd feel more comfortable doing the non-blasty bits with.

As stated in the title just looking at this from a mechanical perspective only. I can handle the rp aspects of any of these types of builds and tweak it as needed. Just looking for mechanical discussion only.

I also added to my OP to clarify the above.

Thanks though