PDA

View Full Version : Having no Dexterity Score

Pippin
2019-04-13, 12:29 PM
Hi playground,

Is it possible for a PC to become Dex — ? Like a PC becomes Con — when he gains the Necropolitan template.

If a PC has no dexterity score, what are the consequences?

Thanks a lot.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-13, 12:33 PM
Dexterity is your ability to actually move (as opposed to Strength, which is your ability to apply pressure outside yourself). Having Dex -- means you're bodily paralyzed, so unless you have some other way of moving yourself and affecting the world around you (such as a minion to carry you with telepathy to communicate, or telekinetic abilities), you'd be stuck in one place, body limp (or seized up) and unable to do anything physical.

A creature like this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fungus.htm) could act mentally but not physically, so don't expect to be making melee attacks or dodging any time soon, unless you've got something akin to control body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm) up and running.

Zaq
2019-04-13, 01:18 PM
Sounds like basically the Psionic Sandwich trick, if I’m not mistaken.

Is there a particular reason why you’d like to have DEX — ?

Crichton
2019-04-13, 01:19 PM
From SRD on Nonabilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#nonabilities):

Dexterity

Any creature that can move has at least 1 point of Dexterity. A creature with no Dexterity score can’t move. If it can perform actions (such as casting spells), it applies its Intelligence modifier to initiative checks instead of a Dexterity modifier. The creature automatically fails Reflex saves and Dexterity checks.

DrMotives
2019-04-13, 01:37 PM
The Earth Whisper monster from Races of Stone can lower your dex. When it hits zero, you're a statue. Generally makes me think that other methods of having zero dexterity won't be good things for your character.

Zaq
2019-04-13, 02:30 PM
The Earth Whisper monster from Races of Stone can lower your dex. When it hits zero, you're a statue. Generally makes me think that other methods of having zero dexterity won't be good things for your character.

DEX 0 and DEX — are two different things.

Admittedly, and relatively uniquely for DEX, not nearly as different as STR 0 / STR —, CON 0 / CON —, and so on. But still.

DEMON
2019-04-13, 02:32 PM
You could ask a Medusa or a Basilisk to help you out with this desire.

Covenant12
2019-04-13, 03:11 PM
Core you could polymorph (need to be plant first, various ways) or shapechange into a Shrieker: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fungus.htm#shrieker

Dex - has real downsides though. Str - and incorporeal is viable, Con - Necropolitan or similar even easier, but Dex - has consequences. A psion shrieker on a cart could contribute, but I can't see a reason to.

Pippin
2019-04-13, 03:52 PM
So I take it there is no way to become Dex — without changing shapes? Let's assume the PC can teleport at will, so that moving isn't an issue.

Is there a particular reason why you’d like to have DEX — ?
Well, I just like the idea of being a pure spirit. Gaining the undead type blows the CON score, and gaining the incorporeal subtype blows the STR score. I'm almost done here.

KillianHawkeye
2019-04-13, 06:06 PM
Well, I just like the idea of being a pure spirit.

I'm not sure this means what you think it means....

Thurbane
2019-04-13, 07:05 PM
So, a quick search turns up the following that natively have Dex --:

Crystal Sunflower
Formian, Queen
Grandfather Plaque
Shrieker
Udoroot

...none of these are particularly PC friendly.

Covenant12
2019-04-13, 07:22 PM
So I take it there is no way to become Dex — without changing shapes? Let's assume the PC can teleport at will, so that moving isn't an issue.

Well, I just like the idea of being a pure spirit. Gaining the undead type blows the CON score, and gaining the incorporeal subtype blows the STR score. I'm almost done here.Physical but not mental paralysis does the same thing, read the wording some you can still get a (silent) teleport off. Or as mentioned often, psion. Though it may not apply if you already have Con -, Dex 0 is just as effective, find ability drain and it may as well be permanent.

Dex - means you physically can't move yourself or anything else. You can't drift or shift, if you have tentacles you can't move them or use them to move anything. Reflex saves, ranged touch attacks, and Initiative aside, this is a real mess. Brain in a jar exists, but Dex - is a bigger deal than Str - or Con -, even both combined really.

Thurbane
2019-04-13, 11:42 PM
From SRD on Nonabilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#nonabilities):

Dexterity

Any creature that can move has at least 1 point of Dexterity. A creature with no Dexterity score can’t move. If it can perform actions (such as casting spells), it applies its Intelligence modifier to initiative checks instead of a Dexterity modifier. The creature automatically fails Reflex saves and Dexterity checks.

I wonder how that interacts with intelligent magic items?

Intelligent items can actually be considered creatures because they have Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. Treat them as constructs. Intelligent items often have the ability to illuminate their surroundings at will (as magic weapons do); many cannot see otherwise.

A magic item doesn’t need to make a saving throw unless it is unattended, it is specifically targeted by the effect, or its wielder rolls a natural 1 on his save. Magic items should always get a saving throw against spells that might deal damage to them— even against attacks from which a nonmagical item would normally get no chance to save. Magic items use the same saving throw bonus for all saves, no matter what the type (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). A magic item’s saving throw bonus equals 2 + one-half its caster level (round down). The only exceptions to this are intelligent magic items, which make Will saves based on their own Wisdom scores.

Magic items, unless otherwise noted, take damage as nonmagical items of the same sort. A damaged magic item continues to function, but if it is destroyed, all its magical power is lost.

Pippin
2019-04-14, 11:37 AM
I have a couple of questions related to Con —.

1. According to MM1 (page 312), creatures with no Constitution score are immune to ability damage.
2. Undead creatures have no Constitution score and MM1 (page 317) says that they are immune to damage to their physical ability scores, also they use their Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.

So:

Why aren't Undead creatures immune to damage to mental ability scores?
Also, if a non-Undead creature has no Constitution score (like Constructs), do they use their Charisma modifier for Concentration checks?

I'm not sure this means what you think it means....
Yeah sorry, I should have said pure "mind" rather than "spirit". If that was your point.