PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rogue Archetype: Shinobi (PEACH)

Surrealistik
2019-04-13, 03:36 PM
All PEACH is good, but particularly interested in any potential wording issues, either in terms of cleanliness or functionality.

https://i.imgur.com/M2FY8El.png

JNAProductions
2019-04-13, 05:26 PM
Shinboi Grace is a little overloaded, but not terribly so.

Sudden Strike is WAY too good. Also shares a name with the Scout Capstone, I believe, but that's a much more minor issue.
But really, with Expertise in Stealth and a good Dex score, you can avoid notice basically all the time. This translates to almost always having advantage on your attacks, at level 9.

Movements Unbound also feels a little overloaded, but again, not terribly so.

Master Shinobi...
1-Fine.
2-References a feature that doesn't exist.
3-Too good.
4-Makes a too good feature EVEN BETTER.

Overall, this subclass has some stuff that's a little overloaded, and other stuff that's flat-out too good.

Surrealistik
2019-04-14, 10:35 PM
Shinboi Grace is a little overloaded, but not terribly so.

Sudden Strike is WAY too good. Also shares a name with the Scout Capstone, I believe, but that's a much more minor issue.
But really, with Expertise in Stealth and a good Dex score, you can avoid notice basically all the time. This translates to almost always having advantage on your attacks, at level 9.

Movements Unbound also feels a little overloaded, but again, not terribly so.

Master Shinobi...
1-Fine.
2-References a feature that doesn't exist.
3-Too good.
4-Makes a too good feature EVEN BETTER.

Overall, this subclass has some stuff that's a little overloaded, and other stuff that's flat-out too good.

True that on Sudden Strike sharing the name; gotta address that.

What about it is too good though? I mean, Arcane Trickster basically gets reliable advantage/SA as early as L3 via Find Familiar, and with ranged rogues you can already generally attack with advantage > hide (or inverse) rinse and repeat, whereas this allows you to do something similar with melee, but only if you eat an opportunity attack and spend movement to move into concealment (with remaining movement after you spent a bunch to close in) to bonus action Hide after spending your action and much of your movement to use the feature.

For benefit 2 of Master Shinobi, it's referencing the attack granted by Kunai and Kodachi.

Do you really think benefit 3 is too good by L17? In practice, I've found these conditions, grappling especially, to be pretty situational. Though it's certainly nice to have the get out of jail free card when they come up, I generally don't find it does all that often. I looked to this as more of a minor benefit.

Crisis21
2019-04-19, 12:26 AM
Do you really think benefit 3 is too good by L17? In practice, I've found these conditions, grappling especially, to be pretty situational. Though it's certainly nice to have the get out of jail free card when they come up, I generally don't find it does all that often. I looked to this as more of a minor benefit.

What's too good is that you're basically giving them permanent Freedom of Movement. I'd say that it gives advantage to escape grapples or restraints, not free escape.