PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mythic Option (Rise of the Runelords)

decoy73
2019-04-13, 08:04 PM
So, I just finished GMing the Black Magga encounter in Chapter 3, Part 3 of Rise of the Runelords. In the first round, one of my guys critted the Black Magga and instakilled him. I am considering giving him (and ONLY him) a rank in Mythic. Do you believe this is a good idea?

Galacktic
2019-04-13, 08:14 PM
Absolutely not.

JoshuaZ
2019-04-13, 08:24 PM
So, I just finished GMing the Black Magga encounter in Chapter 3, Part 3 of Rise of the Runelords. In the first round, one of my guys critted the Black Magga and instakilled him. I am considering giving him (and ONLY him) a rank in Mythic. Do you believe this is a good idea?

No. This is the sort of thing which can lead to players feeling like their characters are getting different power levels or favoritism. And if they were able to do this, then the character is already pretty optimized even without that.

If you want to make them feel good about this, one option is to have news of their exploits spread and soon tales of how they killed it in a single blow become a ballad. The other option is to have later a major NPC reveal they were watching (through some sort of scrying then) and make a mention of it when talking to the PCs, which will make the PC feel more badass.

Selion
2019-04-13, 08:28 PM
the first rank grants 3 mythic points, if your character is a wizard/sorcerer, he can choose between these starting abilities:
- casting any spell prepared with a swift action, the spell needs two saving throws against not mythic creatures
- casting any spell on his list, even those unknown by his character.
In addition he can select a mythic path ability AND a mythic feat. All of that just with one rank.
Martial paths abilities are less game breaking, but this is just to give you the idea of the power scale.
Furthermore I'm not a fan of prizes for characters' achievements

decoy73
2019-04-13, 08:55 PM
Understood. I did not wish to give the whole party a mythic rank (since they were unable to contribute to the fight). Some more background - the party consisted of six level 9 characters, with relatively low-end gear - the character that scored the kill was a gunslinger who scored a critical hit with a mundane firearm, meaning that the shot should have been the equivalent of a poke against the CR 15 black magga (DR 15/magic, AC 30).

ngilop
2019-04-13, 09:28 PM
This is a bad, bad train of thought. Rewarding the players for how dice fall. They should be rewarded for clever ideas or outstanding roleplaying.

Let alone rewarding one player just because he rolled wells vs not only a weak enemy to the cavalier main schtick, but also a weakened enemy.

There is going to be times when each player is able to do some amazing things, some times it will be pure 'that's how the dice fell" and other times it will be 'awesome idea man!" wanting to single out a player in what should be a group setting for the former ( and even the latter) to give that player a reward above and beyond what rewards they are always getting is just plain wrong.