PDA

View Full Version : Spell Question

Hunterx
2019-04-14, 06:30 AM
How would wall of stone work after being spell warped from a Spellwarp sniper?

What would the damage be if any?

What would the entrapment be?

Would the victim be basically a statue ?

Thanks for input.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-04-14, 08:13 AM
See Aiming A Spell: You can only spellwarp a spell with an "Area" entry, Wall of Stone has an "Effect" entry. It cannot be spellwarped.

MisterKaws
2019-04-14, 09:44 AM
See Aiming A Spell: You can only spellwarp a spell with an "Area" entry, Wall of Stone has an "Effect" entry. It cannot be spellwarped.

That's right.

Though that doesn't mean you can't do weird stuff with it. For example, a Sorcerer 2(Precocious Apprentice)/Warlock 3/Eldritch Theurge 5/Spellwarp Sniper 5 can use Heightened Locate City rays to send any Lesser(and a few Greater) Essence onto a target 150 miles away via Eldritch Spellweave. So I guess you could kill people a few days' travel away by spamming Brimstone Blasts(Vitriolic is 6th level) if you have enough Charisma.

Hunterx
2019-04-14, 11:11 AM

Effect:
Stone wall whose area is up to one 5-ft. square/level (S)

never mind I see what you were saying there

Hunterx
2019-04-14, 11:27 AM
Ok so the build I am going for is

Rogue 1 Cleric 5 Spellwarp sniper 5
No I do not want a wizard or a sorcerer.

This is to be the tank but with that being said I very well may drop spellwarp and go something like this

Rogue 1 Celric 5 (spontanious domain ACF) X 5
The cleric will rebuke to get the harm spells and have the healing domain to get healing spells.
Feats would be
Lv 1:Combat Casting
Lv 1 Spell Focus Necromancy
Lv 3 Fearsome Necromancy
Lv 6 Shielded Casting
Lv 9 Sickening Grasp

The issue that I have here is that Clerics do not have many non summoning necro spells and I a lot of them have the evil component to them which will alter my alignment.

Would like to do cold on the other side of necromancy but again there are not that many spells.

Druid Wizard Sorcerer and Wu-Jen many have more but they do not get the same kind of HP the Cleric gets and so make an OK tank bad bad and very bad tanks.

Zaq
2019-04-14, 12:02 PM
Ok so the build I am going for is

Rogue 1 Cleric 5 Spellwarp sniper 5
No I do not want a wizard or a sorcerer.

This is to be the tank but with that being said I very well may drop spellwarp and go something like this

Rogue 1 Celric 5 (spontanious domain ACF) X 5
The cleric will rebuke to get the harm spells and have the healing domain to get healing spells.
Feats would be
Lv 1:Combat Casting
Lv 1 Spell Focus Necromancy
Lv 3 Fearsome Necromancy
Lv 6 Shielded Casting
Lv 9 Sickening Grasp

The issue that I have here is that Clerics do not have many non summoning necro spells and I a lot of them have the evil component to them which will alter my alignment.

Would like to do cold on the other side of necromancy but again there are not that many spells.

Druid Wizard Sorcerer and Wu-Jen many have more but they do not get the same kind of HP the Cleric gets and so make an OK tank bad bad and very bad tanks.

I’m sorry to say it, but this post is hard to follow. What’s the character goal, and what questions do you have?

Hunterx
2019-04-14, 12:47 PM
I’m sorry to say it, but this post is hard to follow. What’s the character goal, and what questions do you have?

The character is to be the tank as a cleric I was going to go sws but as a tank that would not work well si I was looking at touch spells instead, focusing on necromancy or ice/cold but clerics have little necromancy spell that are not summoning spells and even fewer ice/cold spell.

How do I make the touch tank cleric

MisterKaws
2019-04-14, 02:30 PM
Druids have more HP than clerics, considering Wild Shape. They don't get many necromancy spells but they do get the dessication spells from Sandstorm.

Also there's the Stalwart Battle Sorcerer, with the ridiculous D8+2 HD, equivalent to a D12 HD on all levels except first.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-04-14, 03:31 PM
Pathfinder has the 'bad touch cleric' build, but I don't think there's anything equivalent for 3.5.

For a tank Cleric, go with a Desert Dwarf or Desert Half-Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertRaces), wear heavy armor, use a heavy shield, and use DMM: Persistent with Ice Axe in Spell Compendium. Be sure to persist the usual party buffs as well (Mass Lesser Vigor, Elation, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful) along with personal buffs (Divine Favor, Divine Power). You can put Fell Weaken Spell and/or Fell Frighten Spell on that and the first time you hit a given creature with it, they suffer the penalty that comes with that metamagic feat.

Get the Sun or Retribution domain and use DMM: Persistent Fire Shield with Fell Frighten Spell and the first time an opponent hits you and takes damage from that, they're shaken for ten rounds. Multiple fear effects escalate the condition, so if they're Shaken twice they become Frightened until every effect that contributed to it expires (Rules Compendium).

Say you used the Frog God's Fane in CS to get Skill Focus: Knowledge (Religion) and take four levels in Divine Oracle to get Evasion and Uncanny Dodge. After that take Contemplative to finish out the build.

Start with a standard Strand of Prayer Beads that's had the Bead of Smiting removed, the DMG says that should only be 9,000 gp (which overrides the SRD for D&D games). Use the Bead of Karma before casting your buffs each day, and a Lesser Rod of Extend to put Magic Vestment on your armor and shield.

Eldariel
2019-04-14, 03:56 PM
Pathfinder has the 'bad touch cleric' build, but I don't think there's anything equivalent for 3.5.

There's no real reason you can't play a bad touch Cleric in 3.5 too; you have different spells but Shivering Touch, Bestow Curse and company are plenty good. You can either choose to include UA Strikes or leave them out, depending on the build specifics and to hit. You can rather easily get Greater Mighty Wallop from Greater Anyspell though so UA Strikes would actually be fairly strong (and provide plenty of damage but require some to hit boosters; Intuitive Attack for instance).

Hunterx
2019-04-14, 06:07 PM
There's no real reason you can't play a bad touch Cleric in 3.5 too; you have different spells but Shivering Touch, Bestow Curse and company are plenty good. You can either choose to include UA Strikes or leave them out, depending on the build specifics and to hit. You can rather easily get Greater Mighty Wallop from Greater Anyspell though so UA Strikes would actually be fairly strong (and provide plenty of damage but require some to hit boosters; Intuitive Attack for instance).

Chill touch does 1D6 damage plus 1 Str damage now if you have sneak attack it will do 2D6 damage plu 1D6+1 str damage ? Or just 2D6 +1 Str damage ?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-04-14, 06:28 PM
Chill touch does 1D6 damage plus 1 Str damage now if you have sneak attack it will do 2D6 damage plu 1D6+1 str damage ? Or just 2D6 +1 Str damage ?

Additional damage is only the base damage type, in this case cold damage. WotC has clarified that extra damage only deals extra hp damage, never extra ability damage. Even if the spell only deals ability damage (Ray of Stupidity) or something else (Enervation), a sneak attack with it or any bonus such as point-blank shot will only add extra hp damage.

Eldariel
2019-04-15, 02:56 AM

Of course, if you deliver with it a punch instead, you can do your unarmed damage + sneak attack damage + spell effect. Of course, ability damage isn't enhanced by either.

Hunterx
2019-04-16, 12:07 PM
Well I went like this and I think it is ok for now and ill figure out which way to continue

Strong Heart Halfling
Cleric 5 Divine Oracle 5 Compemtive 1

Feats
Divine Metamagic
Skill focus religion
Repeat spell
combat casting shielded casting

Domains
Oracle
Time
Destruction
Cold

Rebel7284
2019-04-16, 03:59 PM
Well I went like this and I think it is ok for now and ill figure out which way to continue

Strong Heart Halfling
Cleric 5 Divine Oracle 5 Compemtive 1

Feats
Divine Metamagic
Skill focus religion
Repeat spell
combat casting shielded casting

Domains
Oracle
Time
Destruction
Cold

It's spelled Contemplative.

Divine Metamagic applies to a specific Metamagic feat, I assume you are applying it to Repeat Spell? In which case, Quicken Spell is probably better. Why are you taking those specific domains?

Hunterx
2019-04-17, 11:04 AM
It's spelled Contemplative.

Divine Metamagic applies to a specific Metamagic feat, I assume you are applying it to Repeat Spell? In which case, Quicken Spell is probably better. Why are you taking those specific domains?

Yes it is

And yes it does that is why there is only one meta magic feat so I will give you a guess of what metamagic feat it will be tied to.