PDA

View Full Version : Reigen (Mob Psycho 100)

strangebloke
2019-04-14, 11:19 PM
So, this is a character I'm curious how people would build.

For those not familiar, Reigen is a fake psychic. He gets by on the usual tricks. Bluffing, incense, and preying upon people's superstitions. He takes this a step farther, however, as he's a fake psychic in a world with real psychics, and its not uncommon for him to get into a fight with someone who truly has overwhelming psionic abilities.

His usual strategy is to misdirect and get a cheap shot in. He also has a familiar spirit named dimple that's tenuously loyal to him and will help him from time to time.

So, obviously, this is a rogue. But I'm a little unsure of how I would do it. My first thought was a swashbuckler with maxed charisma, representing how he uses his social skills to get the drop on an opponent. Reigen generally fights unarmed as well, but that's not a well-supported fighting style in 5e, so we'll have to set that aside. There's just no way to get sneak attack on a fist strike.

Another good pick for him would be the lucky feat, to demonstrate how he always seems to come out ahead even when he really shouldn't.

Any additional thoughts? (Yes, I realize that DND isn't really designed for people like Reigen. Shoot me.)

LudicSavant
2019-04-15, 12:21 AM
Reigen is nothing less than a level 20 psychic. Clearly there is no other explanation for how he fixed my back pain!

Nidgit
2019-04-15, 02:11 AM
I'd go either Mastermind for supreme lying and bonus action Help or Whispers Bard for his occasional special moves and his ability to persuade just about anyone.

If Diplomat is allowed, you're virtually required to take that. Inspiring Leader would be a good choice too.

strangebloke
2019-04-15, 07:57 AM
Reigen is nothing less than a level 20 psychic. Clearly there is no other explanation for how he fixed my back pain!
No no no, his abilities are spiritual, not psychic.

I'd go either Mastermind for supreme lying and bonus action Help or Whispers Bard for his occasional special moves and his ability to persuade just about anyone.

If Diplomat is allowed, you're virtually required to take that. Inspiring Leader would be a good choice too.

Mastermind or swashbuckler I think, yeah. Whispers has too many spells.

I could also see him as, ironically, a redemption paladin who uses all his spells on smiting with his fists. Vhuman with inspiring leader, diplomat, and prodigy(deception). His persuasion is through the roof, and his lay on hands is his masseur technique. He might even cast something like calm emotions from time to time.