PDA

View Full Version : Non-combat 6-th level Magic Secrets?

Tangleweed
2019-04-15, 02:33 AM
So, I play a lore bard that is about to hit that sweet 6th level and get that sweet magical secrets. However, I am a bit unsure on what spells to pick and I was hoping for some advice. This character does not like combat nor is a combatant. They are able to provide some assistance through illusions, inspiration, de/buffs and such but does not do blasting or direct damage. Their magic is more along the line of summoning a bunch of unseen servants to magically clean out that dusty house or cast a couple of illusions and give a speech to incite a revolt or bolster the morale of troops in combat.

Do you guys have any advice on cool out-of combat spells to pick up that is both thematically valid and usefull? Counterspell I feel could fit thematically and be of use, but I am not married to the idea. I also thought Animate Dead could be cool (the image of playing music to animate bodies to fight for you or otherwise help out seems supercool to me) but I am unsure how usefull it would be. Phantasmal steed also seems cool. Ritual cast it to get some fast mounts for the party seems cool. Its such a hard choice. Cool triumphs usefullness, but I dont wanna pick something completely useless at the same time.

Have you guys got any advice for me?

DwarfDM
2019-04-15, 02:54 AM
Check Treantmonk's guide to wizards. He has a guide for all spells wizards can choose. A great place to start.

DwarfDM
2019-04-15, 02:56 AM
Check Treantmonk's guide to wizards. He has a guide for all spells wizards can choose. A great place to start.

But my personal choice: Counterspell and Aura of Vitality (20d6 healing over 1 minute with a 3rd level slot)

diplomancer
2019-04-15, 04:25 AM
There are two technically combat spells that have great utility, Thunderstep (short distance teleport for two; if stealth is an issue ritual cast silence first) and Enlarge/Reduce (it targets objects, has a lot of uses if you are imaginative enough)

And if you do get to combat they would still help you. Thunderstep takes you OUT of combat, so very thematic.

DrKerosene
2019-04-15, 06:43 AM
Hex is a no-save ability check debuff that may wildly swing the direction of a social encounter, or contests. It could be cast on a rat (and then killed) before hand and silently moved onto a target.

It can also be used in combat it you plan to dual weild thrown weapons for the most part.

Revivify and Gentle Repose are a combo that isn’t for combat, technically.

It’s a Bard spell, but do you already have Magic Mouth?

nickl_2000
2019-04-15, 06:54 AM
Bards are amazing with Counterspell. With the Jack of All Trades they actually get half-prof added to Counterspell checks, so that is a no brainer.

As for other Spells I would look at.
Conjure Animals - You can summon horses for the party or Giant Owls to carry them, or make a fur wall in battle. Also can be upcast
Fly - Great both in combat and out of it. You can solve a lot of problems by being able to fly. Can be upcast to help more people
Leomund's Tiny Hut - Great to always have a place to stay. What foppish bard wants to sleep outside! - Don't do this, it's already on the list. I just missed it.
Water Walk - Highly situational, but flat out amazing when you are in that situation
Healing Spirit - Because it's an amazing healing spell.
Find Steed - Get yourself an intelligent mount friend
Tensor's Floating Disk - You can make yourself a stage anytime, anywhere
Find Familiar - Another animal friend option. Great for scouting and many other things.

diplomancer
2019-04-15, 07:55 AM
One other thing I would like to add; if you do decide to add a combat spell, try to avoid concentration ones, as Bards have so many wonderful spells that require concentration. You don't want to spend one of your few magical secrets on a spell you are not going to use regularly for most of the campaign;

With that said... though I am a huge fan of Find Steed, if the campaign is going to very high levels I would wait to get Find Greater Steed at 10th level, unless your DM allows retraining magical secrets.

For both of those reasons, I would not recommend fly.

Merudo
2019-04-15, 09:19 AM
Leomund's Tiny Hut - Great to always have a place to stay. What foppish bard wants to sleep outside!

Why would a Bard waste a Magical Secret on a spell already on the bard spell list?

nickl_2000
2019-04-15, 09:20 AM
Why would a Bard waste a Magical Secret on a spell already on the bard spell list?

Because I'm an idiot and completely missed that when I was researching spells. Thanks, I fixed it.

Tangleweed
2019-04-16, 11:21 PM
Tanka for all the suggestions ya all. Really helpful. Still can’t decide though. :D

KillingTime
2019-04-17, 01:31 AM
Pass Without Trace