PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a ridiculous character

CTurbo
2019-04-15, 04:43 AM
...and by ridiculous I mean ridiculously OP because my starting stat choices are-

20, 19, 19, 17, 8, 6
20, 20, 17, 13, 8, 8
20, 18, 14, 13, 13, 10

We will start at level 1.
Cannot go higher than 20 in any stat.
Cannot be any monster race, any super uncommon race, or any generally hated(like Drow) race.
My character has to have the GOOD alignment.
All books and sources are available.
I get a free feat to start.
Yes Vhumans can start with 2 feats.
So far in the party there will be a full class Sorcerer, a Sorcerer/Wizard, a Sorcerer/Bard, a Barbarian, a TBD, and my character. Yeah I don't know why so much Sorcerer lol
The DM wants us to be OP so now is the time for super optimizing.

Character creation is one of my favorite parts of the game, and I'm really good at making characters(I think anyway lol), but that's my problem, I'll make too many characters and have a hard time deciding on one. I'm hoping somebody comes up with a fun idea that I haven't thought of.

My first inclination was to make a Paladin or Monk considering I can easily start with 3 or even 4 20s. Obviously I would choose a typically unoptimized race like Gnome or something. Such stats would make an awesome Barbarian too, but I'm already playing a Barbarian now with the same group in a different campaign so eh...
I've thought about making a Vhuman Fighter and just taking ALL the feats lol(5 feats by level 8).
I do probably prefer to be mostly melee, but am not sold on it.
I figure now might be a good time to do silly combos like PAM, GWM, Sentinel, Spell Sniper(Booming Blade), Warcaster, etc...
I've been a Booming Blade spamming Draconic Sorcerer 1/Swashbuckler X before and it was fun and would be even better with these stats.
This would be a great time for a Str Rogue.
Maybe a 20 Str/Dex/Con Barbarian/Rogue that exploits grappling and/or Shield Master?
Since ASIs aren't important at all, I'm thinking about some wild multiclass combos too.

I don't like Druids, and I don't want to play any of the most popular Paladin/Cha caster multiclasses. (but may could be talked into it lol)

Ideas?

CTurbo
2019-04-15, 05:45 AM
If the DM is willing to waive the Elf requirement, I could be a Gnome Monk/Bladesinger

I could start with 20 Dex, Wis, and Int and still have a 19 Con. That would be a 25 unarmored AC while in Bladesong lol. I could even add some Rogue levels later. I could even add on 2 levels of Fighter for Fighting Style and Action surge. I could EVEN add in 3 levels of Ranger Gloom Stalker for better darkvision and a better first round.

Lets see.... Monk 5, Wizard 2, Rogue 2, Fighter 2, Ranger 3.... may as well take 3 more Rogue levels for Scout and Uncanny Dodge, and then 3 more levels of Monk for more ki and speed.

hahaha ok that might be overdoing it a little.

I would like a super ninja build though. Shadow Monk/Gloom Stalker/Rogue would be great.

Aett_Thorn
2019-04-15, 05:51 AM
Strength-based Gnome Monk/Barbarian. Because why the hell not? With starting stats like that, racial modifiers don’t really matter, and you can start off with a 20 Str, 19 Dex, 19 Wis, 17 Con, and low Cha and Int. But since you’ll have advantage on Int and Cha saves against magic, you’ll be fine there.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-15, 06:13 AM
Looking at the roles you need covered in your party, I'd go with a fighter/monk. Set Dex, Wis and Con all to 20. While the barbarian tanks hordes and the casters blast them apart, your job is taking on the boss and incapacitating him quickly with stunning strikes. Feats which make sense are Mobile, Mage Slayer, Lucky, Alert, maybe even Dual Wielder just for the +1 to AC.

I would want fighter (Battlemaster) 11, monk 9 with a focus on Stunning Strike. Because you're the boss killer, your job will be to burn though Legendary Resistance with your Stunning Strikes so that your casters can land their save-or-suck spells. So you'll want to leap right in and make 3 attacks with an action, 3 attacks with an action surge, and 2 attacks with Flurry of Blows. Every hit that connects should be a stun attempt as well as an attempt to prone or disarm (via Battlemaster Maneuvers) so you force as many saves out of them as possible.

CTurbo
2019-04-15, 06:24 AM
Half-Elf Barbarian 2/Swashbuckler Rogue X with Elven Accuracy as free feat.

That's 20 Str, 20 Dex, 20 Con, 20 Cha, and 20 AC at level 1

Reckless Attack for always on Advantage and use a Short Sword or two. Could even grab Booming Blade from Magic Initiate at Rogue 4. Maybe go ahead and take Barb 5 for 2 attacks and extra movement. Grab Mobile at Barb 4. Use a Shield for 22 AC.

Man I have too many ideas lol

CTurbo
2019-04-15, 06:26 AM
Looking at the roles you need covered in your party, I'd go with a fighter/monk. Set Dex, Wis and Con all to 20. While the barbarian tanks hordes and the casters blast them apart, your job is taking on the boss and incapacitating him quickly with stunning strikes. Feats which make sense are Mobile, Mage Slayer, Lucky, Alert, maybe even Dual Wielder just for the +1 to AC.

I would want fighter (Battlemaster) 11, monk 9 with a focus on Stunning Strike. Because you're the boss killer, your job will be to burn though Legendary Resistance with your Stunning Strikes so that your casters can land their save-or-suck spells. So you'll want to leap right in and make 3 attacks with an action, 3 attacks with an action surge, and 2 attacks with Flurry of Blows. Every hit that connects should be a stun attempt as well as an attempt to prone or disarm (via Battlemaster Maneuvers) so you force as many saves out of them as possible.

That's a pretty awesome boss killer build lol

Hytheter
2019-04-15, 06:28 AM
Half-Elf Barbarian 2/Swashbuckler Rogue X with Elven Accuracy as free feat.

That's 20 Str, 20 Dex, 20 Con, 20 Cha, and 20 AC at level 1

Reckless Attack for always on Advantage and use a Short Sword or two. Could even grab Booming Blade from Magic Initiate at Rogue 4. Maybe go ahead and take Barb 5 for 2 attacks and extra movement. Grab Mobile at Barb 4. Use a Shield for 22 AC.

Man I have too many ideas lol

Elven Accuracy and Reckless Attack can't be used together. Reckless specifies Strength-based attacks, and Elven Accuracy specifies pretty much everything but Strength.

CTurbo
2019-04-15, 06:36 AM
Elven Accuracy and Reckless Attack can't be used together. Reckless specifies Strength-based attacks, and Elven Accuracy specifies pretty much everything but Strength.

Yeah I forgot about that errata. It wasn't listed like that in the UA :annoyed:

Wildarm
2019-04-15, 09:00 AM
...and by ridiculous I mean ridiculously OP because my starting stat choices are-

20, 19, 19, 17, 8, 6

Ideas?

V-Human Paladin /w Heavy Armor Master

20 Str, 8 Dex, 20 Con, 6 Int 18 Wis, 20 Cha

Tank like a boss all day, everyday. Take whatever oath you like the best. Ancients or Conquest would be solid choices. Eventually try and pick up a ring of evasion to allow you better a better chance of dex saves. Headband of Intellect to fix up int saves(and your general stupidity)

Other options:

Warforged Envoy Artificer:
8 Str 20 Dex, 20 Con, 18 Int, 20 Wis, 6 Cha

Your starting AC should with darkwood core and a +1 shield should be 21 and will scale with your proficiency bonus. Recommend Artillerist, crafting wands and putting them in wand sheaths for lots of pew pew fun.

Warforged Envoy Forge Cleric:
20 Str 8 Dex, 20 Con, 18 Int, 20 Wis, 6 Cha

Again starting AC should be 21 and scales with proficiency. Check with DM to make sure your Forge Cleric bonus @ 6th level for heavy armor applies to your heavy armor plating.

Dungeon-noob
2019-04-15, 10:49 AM
Monk/Palladin, Barehanded smites! You actually have the stats for something stupid MAD, so try that i'd say. Pick something that is normally unplayably MAD, and make it work.

saucerhead
2019-04-15, 01:10 PM
Monk/Palladin, Barehanded smites! You actually have the stats for something stupid MAD, so try that i'd say. Pick something that is normally unplayably MAD, and make it work.

I was going to say Bear-handed Smites, but he doesn't like Druid, so druid/paladin is out.

CTurbo
2019-04-15, 03:41 PM
yeah I was trying to come up with a MAD combo that would work really well.

Like Monk/Wizard, Ranger/Paladin, Monk/Paladin, or Paladin/Cleric.

Unfortunately I can't be a Warforged. I already had the Warforged Forge Cleric idea, but was told no.

I'm really liking the idea of starting Barb or Monk for 20 AC unarmored defense even if they're both just small dips.

Monk 2 could be a great start for any Dex based character or caster and Barb 2 would be a great start for any Str based melee character.

Monk/Ranger/Cleric could be fun.

Barbarian 2/Paladin X could be fun.

I'm trying to figure out how to make a Paladin/Cleric work.

Also trying to figure out the best way to abuse Spell Sniper/Booming Blade. I've down it with a whip but not a polearm.

A Gloom Stalker/Shadow Sorcerer could get the award for most invisible archer lol

I could mix all the "shadow" classes together!

Let's see wonder how Shadow Monk 6, Gloom Stalker 3, Warlock 2, Shadow Sorcerer 9, Rogue 2 would look lol

Rukelnikov
2019-04-15, 06:47 PM
Monk1/Bladesinger2

Then take whatever you want, AC 25 and shield for 5 more

Aett_Thorn
2019-04-15, 07:30 PM
A Paladin/Druid is a combo you don’t see often, but you have the stats for.

As is a Monk/Sorcerer. I don’t know what kind of synergy you could find there, but a Monk/Storm Sorc might be a fun, thematic build, riding the winds in multiple ways.

Or go crazy and do a Paladin/Ranger. Go Hunter and eventually be able to smite every enemy within 5 feet of you with Whirlwind Attack. Sure it won’t come up often. But man will it be awesome when it does.

CTurbo
2019-04-15, 08:46 PM
A Paladin/Druid is a combo you don’t see often, but you have the stats for.

As is a Monk/Sorcerer. I don’t know what kind of synergy you could find there, but a Monk/Storm Sorc might be a fun, thematic build, riding the winds in multiple ways.

Or go crazy and do a Paladin/Ranger. Go Hunter and eventually be able to smite every enemy within 5 feet of you with Whirlwind Attack. Sure it won’t come up often. But man will it be awesome when it does.

Shadow Monk/Shadow Sorcerer would probably be pretty cool.

I think Paladin/Ranger or Paladin/Monk are too MAD even for my stats. I would have to dump Con which I'm just not willing to do.

I wish there was an easy way to make a melee brute that could Haste himself easily. You need 5 levels of Wizard or Sorcerer, 6 levels of Lore Bard, or 9 levels of Vengeance Paladin right?

Potato_Priest
2019-04-15, 10:47 PM
I think Paladin/Ranger or Paladin/Monk are too MAD even for my stats. I would have to dump Con which I'm just not willing to do.

How so? In the first array you've got 4 great stats and 2 bad, just put the greats in Dex, Con, Charisma, and Wisdom, and you have everything covered. If your DM is a stickler for multiclassing requirements, go for strength over charisma and just use your spell slots for smites.

Edit: Nevermind, dumping charisma for strength wouldn't work either. I see what you mean, but it's literally only an issue if your DM holds you to multiclassing prerequisites (and not letting paladins use dex in place of str for that is pretty stupid imo), so ask about that.

Anyway, here's what I would make in your shoes.

A Luchador bard!

Put your 4 great stats into Con, Cha, Dex, and Str. At level one, use variant human to get the tavern brawler feat for grappling as a bonus action, and sweet tricks with various improvised weapons.

At level 3, take swords bard for the nifty tricks. Grapple foes with one hand, stab and perform with the other. Make sure you get expertise in Athletics too to make your grapples even better.

Try to take some good persistent aoe spells that you can hold enemies in by grappling them. Cloud of Daggers is perfect for this, and at the cantrip level Conjure Bonfire is nice and cheap.

The build avoids multiclassing (which I don't like when you actually have to level from 1) and takes advantage of your awesome stats to make something normally pretty gross very playable.

Remember, at the end of the day, your profession is entertainment. So make those suplexes nice, dramatic, and properly foreshadowed.

CTurbo
2019-04-17, 10:42 AM
I'm trying to think of some good oddball combos that would normally never be possible.

I know for sure that I want to start level 1 as a Barbarian or Monk to take advantage of unarmored defense, but I don't have to take a lot of levels in either. I especially don't want to take more than 5 or 6 Barb levels although I wouldn't mind being mostly Monk.

I know I can pretty much get a 19 or 20 to start in 4/6 stats with 2 dump stats.

So where are all the Monk/Warlock or Monk/Sorcerer builds at? lol

Damon_Tor
2019-04-17, 12:28 PM
I assume the other members of your team are being given similar stats to play with, so try this:

Be a wizard. Put a 20 in Int, Wis and Cha. Ignore your other stats, who cares. Maybe don't dump Con so you can survive the low levels.
Once you have access both Clone and Magic Jar, Clone your barbarian ally, then Magic Jar yourself into the cloned body.

20 in all stats.

Ventruenox
2019-04-17, 01:21 PM
Is your DM a fan of Matt Mercer? A STR-based Barbarian/Blood Hunter would be flat out unfair. vHuman taking Tough and GWM for crazy damage output while rocking a solid AC. While I rarely suggest Order of the Mutant, it is a class feature that you can exceed 20 in an ability score with mutagens. Or take the Profane Soul option with the Undying pact to tank with Armor of Agathys and regain HP when you kill baddies. Plus cantrips.

CTurbo
2019-04-17, 07:22 PM
I assume the other members of your team are being given similar stats to play with, so try this:

Be a wizard. Put a 20 in Int, Wis and Cha. Ignore your other stats, who cares. Maybe don't dump Con so you can survive the low levels.
Once you have access both Clone and Magic Jar, Clone your barbarian ally, then Magic Jar yourself into the cloned body.

20 in all stats.

Yes the whole party chooses from the same stat options.

Is your DM a fan of Matt Mercer? A STR-based Barbarian/Blood Hunter would be flat out unfair. vHuman taking Tough and GWM for crazy damage output while rocking a solid AC. While I rarely suggest Order of the Mutant, it is a class feature that you can exceed 20 in an ability score with mutagens. Or take the Profane Soul option with the Undying pact to tank with Armor of Agathys and regain HP when you kill baddies. Plus cantrips.

Hmm... I'm not very familiar with Blood Hunter so I'll have to check that out.

Bobthewizard
2019-04-17, 08:57 PM
I've always wanted to make a Jedi. It's normally too MAD for me to actually make and it's not OP at all.

3 levels of Monk - way fo the kensei, then the rest Wizard. Go enchantment for hypnotic gaze and hold your hand out while you use it.

For spells, take things like mage hand, minor illusion (for sounds), charm person, magic missile, detect thoughts, levitate, see invisibility, suggestion, clairvoyance, telekinesis, animate objects, rary's telepathic bond, true sight, mass suggestion, scrying, sending, synaptic static, feeblemind, dominate monster, foresight, astral projection.

Then hope for a sun sword. If your DM is willing to give you these starting stats, a sun sword might not be too much to ask.

CTurbo
2019-04-18, 07:25 PM
How about a Half-Elf Barbarian/Swashbuckler???

With the first array, I could start 20 Str, 20 Dex, 20 Con, 6 Int, 8 Wis, 19 Cha. My first 2 ASI/feats would be +1 Cha/Wis and Res(Wis)

I would start first 2 levels in Barbarian for unarmored defense and Reckless Attack but then go Rogue from there at the very least until Rogue 5 or 7.

I think using a Rapier with Str is super dumb from a flavor standpoint so I would probably just stick to Short Swords or Scimitars. Maybe even TWF. I could add a level of Fighter later for the TWF style.

I get a free feat. I could go Res(Wis) but that's boring. Sentinel would be great to give me the opportunity to use sneak damage with my reaction. Mobile is not necessary on a Swashbuckler but the extra 10ft of movement and ignoring difficult terrain part is still nice. Alert would pretty much guarantee I would go first every round. Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster gets me a familiar and some utility cantrips.

I could go 5 levels of Barbarian for extra attack, but I really don't feel like I need to.

On the flip side, I could do this same concept except Monk instead of Barbarian. Just swap the Str for Wis. It would make a little more sense to take 5 or 6 Monk levels though. I'd probably go Long Death for the thp.

Opinions?

Clistenes
2019-04-18, 08:09 PM
I've always wanted to make a Jedi. It's normally too MAD for me to actually make and it's not OP at all.

3 levels of Monk - way fo the kensei, then the rest Wizard. Go enchantment for hypnotic gaze and hold your hand out while you use it.

For spells, take things like mage hand, minor illusion (for sounds), charm person, magic missile, detect thoughts, levitate, see invisibility, suggestion, clairvoyance, telekinesis, animate objects, rary's telepathic bond, true sight, mass suggestion, scrying, sending, synaptic static, feeblemind, dominate monster, foresight, astral projection.

Then hope for a sun sword. If your DM is willing to give you these starting stats, a sun sword might not be too much to ask.

Heresy! Jedi obviously are UA Mystics!

Bobthewizard
2019-04-18, 09:23 PM
Heresy! Jedi obviously are UA Mystics!

Sure. I should have clarified and said "make a Jedi without grinding the game to a halt by having to spend 5 minutes every action explaining what a Mystic does to my friends who don't read all the UA and have no idea what's going on." :smallsmile:

JakOfAllTirades
2019-04-19, 02:49 PM
vHuman Stone Sorcerer with the Tavern Brawler and Tough feats. Totally ripped and he constantly flexes.

His name his ARMSTRONG and his sorcery has passed down thru his family for generations!!!

Is that ridiculous enough or should I keep going?

CTurbo
2019-04-19, 07:05 PM
vHuman Stone Sorcerer with the Tavern Brawler and Tough feats. Totally ripped and he constantly flexes.

His name his ARMSTRONG and his sorcery has passed down thru his family for generations!!!

Is that ridiculous enough or should I keep going?

Lol how would you play him? Grappler? Brawler? Multiclass with something else?

JakOfAllTirades
2019-04-19, 07:33 PM
Lol how would you play him? Grappler? Brawler? Multiclass with something else?

He's most definitely a brawler. A few levels of fighter wouldn't be out of the question.

strake
2019-04-19, 09:10 PM
You could have a lot of fun with a skills character between the extra feats and those stats. Rogue 1/knowledge cleric 1/lore bard 3 and the skills feat at the start would get you most of the skills by level 5, with 6 of them getting double proficiency. Should be able to start with 2 20s, and 3 13/14s and no weakness - or go crazy with the 4 high stats and dump Str/Con so by level 5 you've got +8 with nearly every skill and +11 with 6 of them.