PDA

View Full Version : Reskin for a Canine Race

KyleG
2019-04-15, 04:49 AM
So what race of the official races could be reskinned as canine humanoid. I'm just fishing for ideas at the moment I dont want to go crazy, a fairly superficial reflavouring is what i am interested in.

JackPhoenix
2019-04-15, 04:53 AM
What do you expect from the race? Because it can be as simple as "human, but looks like dogman".

Aett_Thorn
2019-04-15, 05:11 AM
So what race of the official races could be reskinned as canine humanoid. I'm just fishing for ideas at the moment I dont want to go crazy, a fairly superficial reflavouring is what i am interested in.

What kind of canine are we going for here? Chihuahua? Go Kobold. St. Bernard? Maybe Firbolg.

However, you may just want to start by looking at the Shifter race, which has a couple of options that are canine-like.

DrKerosene
2019-04-15, 06:38 AM
If you want an NPC race, why not Gnoll? Or strip away the specialness of a Jackelwere or Werewolf, and call it a day.

If you want an PC, I’d go with Consitution as the racial stat (some dogs can eat garbage and poo and be fine). Maybe make Survival proficiency, and/or Advantage when using Keen Smell, a thing. Give them a basic Bite attack too I guess. Maybe the orcish Aggressive Trait or something else like the Tabaxi agility. Dunno about the secondary stat. Charisma if it’s a corgi?

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-15, 07:52 AM
Half-Dwarf, for Darkvision, resistance to poison, survival skill and bonus HP.

LibraryOgre
2019-04-15, 08:38 AM

As others said, depends on what you need. I'd probably start with Half-orc, myself, unless I had something else in mind.

GlenSmash!
2019-04-15, 12:26 PM
Half-Dwarf, for Darkvision, resistance to poison, survival skill and bonus HP.

Short movement speed though, so perfect for a bulldog.