View Full Version : Player Help Aasimar Archfey Bladelock build help

Xayah
2019-04-15, 05:33 AM
A small tidbit of the backstory of this girl is that she was born as an Aasimar to two human parents, even them not understanding how exactly it happened or why it happened, but they did know they could not handle her. It was hard for them, but they eventually requested help from the noble High Elf woman, who stood at at least 600 years of age and knew far better how to handle the situation. This High Elf decided to take her in. Now, the Aasimar girl had been plagued by dreams and nightmares send to her by their angelic guide, but at her young age they only scared her. With the High Elf, they seemed to stop. She grew up as a student and a servant to the noble family, and she was content enough to do so. She was treated well and her life was good, she could live with being a subordinate.
However, after many years, the Aasimar now 21 years old, it had to change. The noble High Elf suddenly found her land under attack, and she couldn't fight it off easily... they needed more troops. And so, one day, the old woman called the Aasimar to her... where something amazing happened. The woman revealed herself as being an Archfey who had lived among mortals for many centuries, even many more than the mortals thought. And while she was powerful, she could not fight this off alone, but she could buy time. She also told the Aasimar of the great power she held, but that it was up to her to realize it. She was told to travel the world and train, harnessing both her own powers and those of the Archfey, before returning to the Archfey to help defend, hopefully as soon as possible. Until then... the Archfey would hold the opposing forces off.
At the same time, the blockade of the messages from her Angelic Guide was also removed, and now, she travels the world, getting stronger but struggling to get used to the presence of both her Angelic Guide and the Archfey's messages.

With that out of the way, my question arises. I want to play this girl as an Archfey Bladelock, but since it's not a Hexblade, it feels like it is very MAD, needing both STR/DEX and CHA. So I come to ask for advice regarding builds. Any WotC books are fair game, so what do you guys recommend? What Aasimar subrace should I take? What invocations are important? What spells/cantrips do I focus on? Any feats I should definitely take? How do I avoid being MAD?
As for my own playstyle, I think I'd like to focus on melee damage more than ranged (EDIT: By this I mean, focused more on using my pact weapons than Eldritch Blast. Ranged options from IPW are cool with me), but if that's very suboptimal, it's fine not to. I am assuming we'll be using point buy, and I definitely prefer theme over optimization, but I'm also interested in the actual optimized build.

Unoriginal
2019-04-15, 05:59 AM
Remember that a Pact of the Blade Warlock is a Warlock first and a weapon user second. If you want to focus on melee, I'd advise you to start with a melee class like Fighter at lvl 1 and then to multiclass.

Otherwise, no, having one attack stat and one mental stat isn't particularly MAD, or at least not badly handicaping.

Citadel97501
2019-04-15, 06:29 AM
Ancients Paladin & Arch-fey blade lock are likely a good match for this character likely starting in the arch-fey but the farther she is from her mentor the more her angelic nature comes to the fore, I would suggest getting to 2 or 5 warlock and then bouncing back and forth till 7 warlock. I assume this is also a Protector Aasimar as she is gaining strength to go back and help her mentor?

Warlock 8: Archfey, Paladin 12+: Ancients
Race: Aasimar Protector
Invocations: Thirsting Blade, Improved Pact Weapon, Grasp of Hadar, Maddening Hex or Misty Visions (These just sound appropriate for Archfey)
-Backgrounds: Seems like Folk Hero to me...
-Feats: Strength or Dexterity +2, Charisma +2, Warcaster once you have your paladin level for shield, Strength or Dexterity hit 20, Mounted Combatant
-Fighting Style: Dueling or Defense up to you...
-Spells:
Warlock: Sleep, Hex, Greater Invisibility, others to taste...
Paladin: Aid, Bless, Protection from Evil/Good, & Find Steed (might go this route might skip it...for personal flight)

Benefits: Solid defenses, OK melee damage, OK smiting, fun psychic damage at higher levels or illusions, back up healing, and eventually Mounted Combat with oh crap wings if knocked off the mount.

Xayah
2019-04-15, 06:58 AM
Ancients Paladin & Arch-fey blade lock are likely a good match for this character likely starting in the arch-fey but the farther she is from her mentor the more her angelic nature comes to the fore, I would suggest getting to 2 or 5 warlock and then bouncing back and forth till 7 warlock. I assume this is also a Protector Aasimar as she is gaining strength to go back and help her mentor?

Warlock 8: Archfey, Paladin 12+: Ancients
Race: Aasimar Protector
Invocations: Thirsting Blade, Improved Pact Weapon, Grasp of Hadar, Maddening Hex or Misty Visions (These just sound appropriate for Archfey)
-Backgrounds: Seems like Folk Hero to me...
-Feats: Strength or Dexterity +2, Charisma +2, Warcaster once you have your paladin level for shield, Strength or Dexterity hit 20, Mounted Combatant
-Fighting Style: Dueling or Defense up to you...
-Spells:
Warlock: Sleep, Hex, Greater Invisibility, others to taste...
Paladin: Aid, Bless, Protection from Evil/Good, & Find Steed (might go this route might skip it...for personal flight)

Benefits: Solid defenses, OK melee damage, OK smiting, fun psychic damage at higher levels or illusions, back up healing, and eventually Mounted Combat with oh crap wings if knocked off the mount.
Wow, thank you so much, I really like the idea of multiclassing into Ancients Paladin! I've never played any sort of multiclassed character, so it had slipped my mind as a valid option, but it seems really cool, thank you! I'll probably discuss with my DM if we can possibly make there be some kind of conflict between the Archfey and Angelic Guide over who she follows, and depending on that stay Warlock for more or less levels. Seems like a really cool story hook to go for.

As an aside, if I'm looking correctly, this build doesn't end up hitting 20 Cha, does it? Do you think it's not really worth going after with this multiclass?

MThurston
2019-04-15, 07:28 AM
You don't need to multiclass to make this a melee build.

I am currently playing a Hexblade and I am the front line fighter. Just be smart about it. Take the extra attack at level 5.

Just remeber that you can pick your fights. I sometimes stay back and throw EBs.

Citadel97501
2019-04-15, 07:39 AM
Yeah, the point buys are painful. I was thinking something like the following for stat spread it is easy to switch for more charisma if you like. Your AC is going to be awful early on...thankfully though you get your proficiency with your pact weapons at level 3. Either of the stat spreads gets you a solid switch hitter between Eldritch Blast & spells if you need it, and your melee.

27 point buys...
Dexterity with Warlock as 1st level...
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 14+4 from ASI = 18
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 8
Wisdom: 12 +1 Racial = 13
Charisma: 14 +2 Racial +2 from ASI = 18

Light Hammer until Warlock 3 then switching to Scimitar, or Rapier, at level 3. The wisdom was just for point spending and since wisdom saves are common and really bad...

Strength with Paladin as 1st level, heavy armor & shield is handy for great ac..
Strength: 14+4 from ASI = 18
Dexterity: 10

Long Sword or Warhammer at level 3...

Citadel97501
2019-04-15, 07:40 AM
You don't need to multiclass to make this a melee build.

I am currently playing a Hexblade and I am the front line fighter. Just be smart about it. Take the extra attack at level 5.

Just remeber that you can pick your fights. I sometimes stay back and throw EBs.

He wants Archfey so he has to multi-class which is kind of annoying but definitely a problem with the Hexblade, rather than the rest of Warlock.

Xayah
2019-04-15, 08:08 AM
Yeah, the point buys are painful. I was thinking something like the following for stat spread it is easy to switch for more charisma if you like. Your AC is going to be awful early on...thankfully though you get your proficiency with your pact weapons at level 3. Either of the stat spreads gets you a solid switch hitter between Eldritch Blast & spells if you need it, and your melee.

27 point buys...
Dexterity with Warlock as 1st level...
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 14+4 from ASI = 18

Light Hammer until Warlock 3 then switching to Scimitar, or Rapier, at level 3. The wisdom was just for point spending and since wisdom saves are common and really bad...

Strength with Paladin as 1st level, heavy armor & shield is handy for great ac..
Strength: 14+4 from ASI = 18
Dexterity: 10

Long Sword or Warhammer at level 3...
Yeah, I figured that was going on, thank you. Though, I was looking into it, and it might be worth it to up Dex (gonna go and say Dex for now since I definitely wanna start as Warlock) and Cha by one more to set up for +1/+1 at level 4:

Str: 8
Dex: 15
Con: 12
Int: 10
Wis: 11 (+1 from race)
Cha: 15 (+2 from race)

This gives me 18 Cha and 16 Dex at level 4, and from there I can choose to grab a feat, max out Cha, or get another Dex at level 8. This results in only needing 3 ASIs to go to 18/18 as opposed to 4, and since those will by far be my main stats, it might be worth it.
EDIT: Also worth considering is that by taking IPW, I can nab a Longbow or Heavy Crossbow at level 3, which also works nicely with the Protector Aasimar's flight and the reasonable Dex.

Citadel97501
2019-04-15, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I figured that was going on, thank you. Though, I was looking into it, and it might be worth it to up Dex (gonna go and say Dex for now since I definitely wanna start as Warlock) and Cha by one more to set up for +1/+1 at level 4:

Str: 8
Dex: 15
Con: 12
Int: 10
Wis: 11 (+1 from race)
Cha: 15 (+2 from race)

This gives me 18 Cha and 16 Dex at level 4, and from there I can choose to grab a feat, max out Cha, or get another Dex at level 8. This results in only needing 3 ASIs to go to 18/18 as opposed to 4, and since those will by far be my main stats, it might be worth it.
EDIT: Also worth considering is that by taking IPW, I can nab a Longbow or Heavy Crossbow at level 3, which also works nicely with the Protector Aasimar's flight and the reasonable Dex.

That is also a solid spread, I am just a fan boy of 14+ Constitution. I also was concerned about medium armor being a bit heavy at 8 strength.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-04-15, 02:43 PM
He wants Archfey so he has to multi-class which is kind of annoying but definitely a problem with the Hexblade, rather than the rest of Warlock.

I'm currently playing a single classed Archfey Bladelock and having no difficulties with it. I'm not seeing the necessity to multi-class here.

Xayah
2019-04-15, 03:34 PM
That is also a solid spread, I am just a fan boy of 14+ Constitution. I also was concerned about medium armor being a bit heavy at 8 strength.
Oh right, weight is a thing, it usually goes ignored at my tables (not the STR requirements for heavy armor mind you). I think if getting 14 CON is important you could even just go 8 Int as well since you don't need it for anything, which may be viable/worthwile.