PDA

View Full Version : Forge Cleric help. Rolled stats vs Standard

Green Leviathan
2019-04-15, 09:09 AM
I have a conundrum. My DM lets me roll a matrix of 3d6 or standard array if i don't like my rolls. We are starting at level 4 and I want to play as a Hill dwarf Forge Cleric, so the only role that was good was

8Str, 9Dex, 17Con, 9Int, 17Wis, 11Cha. pre racial mods (I can't change where these stats go)

I know as a hill dwarf I don't need to meet the strength requirements for heavy armor but it still seems like my strength is awfully low. If i went standard array i would go

14 Str, 12Dex, 13 Con, 8Int, 15Wis, 10Cha pre racial mods

I just wanted some outside opinions on this, thanks.

nickl_2000
2019-04-15, 09:14 AM
Do you think that this campaign will get to level 8?

If you aren't I would take the rolled array and just stick with Spiritual Weapon and Cantrips.

If you hit level 10 and higher where Divine Strike will be a thing, then you are probably better off going with Standard Array.

Green Leviathan
2019-04-15, 09:21 AM
I do see this going to 10+. I was so excited to see those 17's in Wis & Con but the longer I think about it the more I'm leaning toward going standard array like you said.

nickl_2000
2019-04-15, 09:23 AM
I do see this going to 10+. I was so excited to see those 17's in Wis & Con but the longer I think about it the more I'm leaning toward going standard array like you said.

The other option is to go with the rolled and see if you can pick up an item like Gauntlets of Ogre Strength (if you have the ability to choose magical items to buy). You've got plenty of time to save money for them since you don't really need them for a good long time.

ImproperJustice
2019-04-15, 09:31 AM
Also, mid to late game you won’t be hitting things that often with Divine Strike.

You will mostly use cantrips, spirit guardians, spiritual weapon, Fire Wall, and Animate Objects.
Most of those will benefit more from the high wisdom than a high strength score.

As stated above though, if you are only going to play below level 8, then having a higher Strength will come into play more often.

Green Leviathan
2019-04-15, 09:42 AM
I didn't think of the gauntlets, though there is no guarantee I'll get them / have them able to be bought. If I did get them that would be huge with these stats. More to consider, hrmmm.

Corran
2019-04-15, 05:45 PM
Go with the rolled stats and don't look back. Divine strike is a bad joke. Always better to focus on wisdom and rely on cantrips.

Sigreid
2019-04-15, 05:47 PM
Do the dwarf thing, wear heavy armor and fight with magic.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-15, 05:52 PM
I'd stick to rolled stats, you can attack with cantrips, and if you really want to go melee you could get MI for shillelagh, though idk how useful that would be.

Galithar
2019-04-15, 05:53 PM
Go with the rolled stats and don't look back. Divine strike is a bad joke. Always better to focus on wisdom and rely on cantrips.

This is the truth. I'll take 2d12 (toll the dead) over 2d8+4 if it means that my other attacks like Spiritual Weapon are also better.

Divine Strike+Spiritual Weapon: 2d8+4 + 1d8+3 for 3d8+7 total = average 20.5
(Assuming +4 str +3 Wis)
Toll the Dead+Spiritual Weapon: 2d12+1d8+5 = Average 22.5 with better accuracy of +5 to hit all around instead of +4 and +3
(Assuming +5 Wis, starting 18 + AS I at 4)

Hopefully this helps illustrate the numbers of relying on more than one stat for attacking. Especially when you have 17s rolled before applying racials.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-15, 06:10 PM
I have a conundrum. My DM lets me roll a matrix of 3d6 or standard array if i don't like my rolls. We are starting at level 4 and I want to play as a Hill dwarf Forge Cleric, so the only role that was good was

8Str, 9Dex, 17Con, 9Int, 17Wis, 11Cha. pre racial mods (I can't change where these stats go)

I know as a hill dwarf I don't need to meet the strength requirements for heavy armor but it still seems like my strength is awfully low. If i went standard array i would go

14 Str, 12Dex, 13 Con, 8Int, 15Wis, 10Cha pre racial mods

I just wanted some outside opinions on this, thanks.

Get Magic Initiate (Druid) for Shillelagh.

There, problem solved.

Green Leviathan
2019-04-15, 08:34 PM
Allrighty, i'll take the rolled stats. Thanks for the analysis guys!

CTurbo
2019-04-15, 08:56 PM
Yeah Definitely take the rolled stats. Take Warcaster and Res(Con) then max Wis and you won't even need to carry a weapon.

As mentioned above, Magic Initiate for Shillelagh solves your weapon problem anyway although it's not thematic for a Forge Cleric to use a wooden weapon.

Nhorianscum
2019-04-16, 08:53 AM
Snag a level of druid if no str boosters drop (somehow) and snag magic innate for a scagtrip at 8th.

Ez

Damon_Tor
2019-04-16, 10:19 AM
As mentioned above, Magic Initiate for Shillelagh solves your weapon problem anyway although it's not thematic for a Forge Cleric to use a wooden weapon.

I would imagine that his staff or club is a wooden handle for a weapon that he conjures when he casts the cantrip, so he pulls out a shaft of wood and casts the spell and the head of a warhammer appears on the end of it.