PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Has anyone noticed this mistake, and is there errata for it?

Sniccups
2019-04-15, 10:45 AM
In Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 133, there are the rules for scribing spell scrolls as part of the revised rules for crafting magic items. However, in Xanathar's Guide, all magic item crafting costs were decreased to a fraction of their value in the Dungeon Master's Guide - but the change never seems to have reached the spell scrolls, which seem to still be using the old costs.

Note that spells are consumable minor items and therefore should cost at maximum half the listed price for their rarity.

Rarity
DMG Crafting Cost
XGtE Crafting Cost
Spell Scrolls and XGtE Costs

Common
100 gp
50 gp
Cantrip (15 gp), 1st (25 gp)

Uncommon
500 gp
200 gp
2nd (250 gp), 3rd (500 gp)

Rare
5,000 gp
4th (2,500 gp), 5th (5,000 gp)

Very Rare
50,000 gp
20,000 gp
6th (15,000 gp), 7th (25,000 gp), 8th (50,000 gp)

Legendary
500,000 gp
100,000 gp
9th (250,000 gp)

This doesn't make too much sense even with the DMG prices (why should a 5th level spell scroll cost the same as a major magic item of the same rarity even when it's consumable?) but the fact that this was published in Xanathar's Guide within a few pages of the revised magic item crafting rules makes even less sense. A 9th level spell scroll now costs 2.5 times as much to create as any other legendary item - some of which, may I add, can produce 9th level spells on their own!

Has anyone else ever noticed this disparity? I couldn't find any errata for it.

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-15, 11:08 AM
No errata.
XGE is sloppy and poorly edited.

Unoriginal
2019-04-15, 11:17 AM

No errata.
XGE is sloppy and poorly edited.

OR:

It's not a mistake, and scribing spell scrolls cost more because you do *not* need a magic item formula or going on a quest to do it.

Scribing scrolls is even listed in a different section of the Downtime rules than Crafting is, and (as one can imagine from this different listing) the rules aren't the same. Why would the price be?

Yes, a spell scroll would cost more than a potion, but a potion has more requirements before you're allowed to brew it, when you don't have this issue with spell scrolls.

As the Xanathar's says:

Scribing a spell scroll takes an amount of time and money related to the level ofthe spell the char~ acter wants to scribe, as shown in the Spell Scroll Costs table. In addition, the character must have proficiency in the Arcana skill and must provide any material components required for the casting of the spell. Moreover, the character must have the Spell prepared, or it must be among the character’s known spells, in order to scribe a scroll of that spell.

So, it means that any Sorcerer of level 17 or more could write a Wish scroll, for 250,000 gp and 48 weeks.

Meanwhile, someone who wants to craft a Ring of Three Wishes would need 100,000 gp and 50 weeks, but they'd also need to go on an adventure involving a CR 19+ monster, and they'd need to know the formula for Rings of Three Wishes.

And given that formulas are one rank of rarity rarer than the items they allow you to create...

Skylivedk
2019-04-15, 11:23 AM
Also Scrolls can give a permanent buff: learning a new spell. Potions can't do that

Coffee_Dragon
2019-04-15, 11:25 AM
I saw Healing Spirit scribble on that table and run away giggling.

stoutstien
2019-04-15, 11:25 AM
In Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 133, there are the rules for scribing spell scrolls as part of the revised rules for crafting magic items. However, in Xanathar's Guide, all magic item crafting costs were decreased to a fraction of their value in the Dungeon Master's Guide - but the change never seems to have reached the spell scrolls, which seem to still be using the old costs.

Note that spells are consumable minor items and therefore should cost at maximum half the listed price for their rarity.

Rarity
DMG Crafting Cost
XGtE Crafting Cost
Spell Scrolls and XGtE Costs

Common
100 gp
50 gp
Cantrip (15 gp), 1st (25 gp)

Uncommon
500 gp
200 gp
2nd (250 gp), 3rd (500 gp)

Rare
5,000 gp
4th (2,500 gp), 5th (5,000 gp)

Very Rare
50,000 gp
20,000 gp
6th (15,000 gp), 7th (25,000 gp), 8th (50,000 gp)

Legendary
500,000 gp
100,000 gp
9th (250,000 gp)

This doesn't make too much sense even with the DMG prices (why should a 5th level spell scroll cost the same as a major magic item of the same rarity even when it's consumable?) but the fact that this was published in Xanathar's Guide within a few pages of the revised magic item crafting rules makes even less sense. A 9th level spell scroll now costs 2.5 times as much to create as any other legendary item - some of which, may I add, can produce 9th level spells on their own!

I'm a huge fan of crafting so this is one of the first things I noticed when I got the book. The optional crafting rules are a bitter Mercy to be sure.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-15, 11:26 AM
I'm not familiarized with the crafting rules of XGTE, i'll look into this.

Unoriginal
2019-04-15, 11:35 AM
had you stuck with: "they are optional rules in different parts of the book, and the DM has the responsibility to balance it for her world", then I would cheer you on.

They're not in different parts of the book, they're both in the Downtime activities section. They are however different activities.

but it appears to me that you said:
Bob should spend more to craft a scroll of magic missile than Tim pays to buy it, because Bob actually knows the spell and Tim has to find a grocery store that sells it?

What? No one talked about buying a spell scroll.

Buying a spell scroll would go under the "Buying a Magic Item" section. And buying a magic missile scroll that way will always be more costly than crafting it.

Sniccups
2019-04-15, 03:21 PM
I understand these arguments, but I just feel like a difference of 5 times is a bit much.