PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Ideas for a sports based cleric

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-15, 11:57 AM
I am currently playing in a game where we are all Halflings and I am playing a Halfling Life cleric named Coach Merry the Mascot Slayer. He doesn't worship a god (or at least isn't aware of what god granted him his power) but instead has a religious devotion to a sport known in our world as potato ball. I was hoping to get some thematic suggestions for this character from a role playing perspective. I currently wear my sports equipment as armor and when i heal others I do so by "rubbing some dirt on it" or telling them to walk it off. I have also interpreted my spiritual weapon as a "potato warrior" who attacks my enemies. My more powerful spells are cast using yellow and red cards. I am currently only level 5 so i would be grateful for further suggestions for later levels.

MrStabby
2019-04-17, 06:34 AM
Nike might be a good deity to worship?

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-17, 09:09 AM
Nike might be a good deity to worship?

That's great. I don't know if my DM will allow that but ill ask him. Thanks

Mechalobster
2019-04-17, 11:51 AM
Prayer of Healing is obviously a half-time prep talk.

Heroes' Feast could be a bunch of orange slices and some granola bars.

Shadhael
2019-04-17, 06:15 PM
I'm a huge fan of this idea, being a big sports fan myself. If your DM allows it I'd ask that there be actual gods whose sole domain is potato ball, and you "worship" them in an unaware way. IRL people (particularly broadcasters) talk about (for example) the hockey gods granting a team a favourable bounce of the puck, or the baseball gods smiling on a team. In game, there could be the same kind of talk, that the winners of a potato ball game had the gods of potato ball on their side, manifesting as a lucky bounce or timely call from a ref. Two ways this could get worked in. One is that the potato ball gods were always there. The other one which could be really fun is that there was enough belief/prayer from mortals that the potato gods, which started as an abstract concept, actually became real. In this one you the coach are still talking about the gods as an abstract concept representing luck/talent in the game, but they low-key are legit gods that are supporting you.

I love the idea that your heals are rubbing dirt and telling your party members to walk it off. If you take Inspiring Leader, that's your pre-game prep talk or getting fired up speech. Destroy Undead is pleading to a 'ref' that those are illegal substitutions and they should be ejected. A damage cantrip/spell is simply saying aloud that you hope they break their ankle. Hold person or other CC spells is praying that they freeze in the spotlight on the big stage.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-17, 06:38 PM
Inspiring leadership or a dip in bard would suit a team coach.

In regards to roleplaying, refluff your spells as sports stuff, bless could be you giving tactical advice, healing word could be an encouragement or chastising shout "Get up and play!" (like when in football a players tried to fake a foul and will stay in the floor to see if he can get the referee to buy it, and the coach or teammate will tell them to get up and play).

Don't be a coach during combat only, keep the coach attitude outside of combat too. We gotta build a camp, you start calling shots "Conan get some wood, Legolas scout the terrain, Jarlaxe and I will set up camp". That kind of stuff, don't overdo it if the rest of the players are not liking it though, some may be bothered by it.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 12:36 PM
I'm a huge fan of this idea, being a big sports fan myself. If your DM allows it I'd ask that there be actual gods whose sole domain is potato ball, and you "worship" them in an unaware way. IRL people (particularly broadcasters) talk about (for example) the hockey gods granting a team a favourable bounce of the puck, or the baseball gods smiling on a team. In game, there could be the same kind of talk, that the winners of a potato ball game had the gods of potato ball on their side, manifesting as a lucky bounce or timely call from a ref. Two ways this could get worked in. One is that the potato ball gods were always there. The other one which could be really fun is that there was enough belief/prayer from mortals that the potato gods, which started as an abstract concept, actually became real. In this one you the coach are still talking about the gods as an abstract concept representing luck/talent in the game, but they low-key are legit gods that are supporting you.

I love the idea that your heals are rubbing dirt and telling your party members to walk it off. If you take Inspiring Leader, that's your pre-game prep talk or getting fired up speech. Destroy Undead is pleading to a 'ref' that those are illegal substitutions and they should be ejected. A damage cantrip/spell is simply saying aloud that you hope they break their ankle. Hold person or other CC spells is praying that they freeze in the spotlight on the big stage.

Thanks for the input. inspiring leader is a good call (the only reason i haven't done it is that i have another character now with that feat). My cleric's power manifested after the other team's mascot killed my team (thus my moniker the mascot slayer). I like the idea that the gods have come into existence because of belief in the game. I have been trying to spread it outside the shire so it would make more sense that they gain power as I spread the sport, so that I in turn become more powerful.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 12:40 PM
Inspiring leadership or a dip in bard would suit a team coach.

In regards to roleplaying, refluff your spells as sports stuff, bless could be you giving tactical advice, healing word could be an encouragement or chastising shout "Get up and play!" (like when in football a players tried to fake a foul and will stay in the floor to see if he can get the referee to buy it, and the coach or teammate will tell them to get up and play).

Don't be a coach during combat only, keep the coach attitude outside of combat too. We gotta build a camp, you start calling shots "Conan get some wood, Legolas scout the terrain, Jarlaxe and I will set up camp". That kind of stuff, don't overdo it if the rest of the players are not liking it though, some may be bothered by it.

The party is fine with it. I pretty much communicate everything through sports metaphors. Example of me reviving part of the party that had been knocked down: "you can't just give up mid game boys. sometimes you have to get up and carry that ring to the mountain, you cant just take the eagle way out"

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 12:42 PM
Prayer of Healing is obviously a half-time prep talk.

Heroes' Feast could be a bunch of orange slices and some granola bars.

I'm thinking at least one of my high level healing spells would be a tub of gator-aide being dumped over someone. Thx for the heroes feast idea, it has been one of the spells i have been thinking about the most.

jh12
2019-04-18, 12:44 PM
Banishment would send the target to the penalty box.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 12:46 PM
Banishment would send the target to the penalty box.

Oh it would be so funny if there was a penalty dimension, but I cant remember if you get to pick where they go.

jh12
2019-04-18, 12:51 PM
Oh it would be so funny if there was a penalty dimension, but I cant remember if you get to pick where they go.

Even if you can't, just have something about the penalty box as the verbal component of the spell. Point at the miscreant, say to the penalty box, 1 minute, and give the reason (unnecessary roughness, high sticking, etc.).

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 12:52 PM
Even if you can't, just have something about the penalty box as the verbal component of the spell. Point at the miscreant, say to the penalty box, 1 minute, and give the reason (unnecessary roughness, high sticking, etc.).

True. True.

Ventruenox
2019-04-18, 12:54 PM
The touch range of the Guidance cantrip would have to be the obligatory butt slap. Enhance Ability could be slipping some "performance enhancers" to your party. And if you use the Coming of Age option of the Ceremony ritual, well, just don't be from Penn State.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 12:57 PM
The touch range of the Guidance cantrip would have to be the obligatory butt slap. Enhance Ability could be slipping some "performance enhancers" to your party. And if you use the Coming of Age option of the Ceremony ritual, well, just don't be from Penn State.

Oh man i forgot sports people did that butt slap thing. Enhance ability is also a spell i felt like requires special flavor text. And as far as Penn state... Coach Merry doesn't roll that way.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 01:16 PM
Here's a list of spells I would love some ideas for:

3rd:
Beacon of Hope
Dispel Magic
Revivify

4th:
Banishment
Guardian of Faith

5th:
Commune
Greater Restoration
Hallow
Planar Binding
Scrying

6th:
Heal
Heroes' Feast
Planar Ally

7th:
Conjure Celestial
Resurrection

8th:
Holy Aura

9th:
Gate
Mass Heal
True Resurrection

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY DIVINE INTERVENTION

Rukelnikov
2019-04-18, 02:44 PM
Here's a list of spells I would love some ideas for:

3rd:
Beacon of Hope - Teams Anthem (Its concentration, so assume the full anthem lasts 1 min which you'll be singing :P)
Dispel Magic - "No Cheating!"
Revivify -

4th:
Banishment - I'd go with jh12's penalty box, bring the yellow card out and poof to penalty.
Guardian of Faith - "Old Champions of Potato Ball come to our aid!"

5th:
Commune
Greater Restoration
Hallow - Home Court? Maybe with fear for enemies or courage for allies?
Planar Binding
Scrying

6th:
Heal
Heroes' Feast
Planar Ally

7th:
Conjure Celestial
Resurrection

8th:
Holy Aura

9th:
Gate
Mass Heal
True Resurrection

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY DIVINE INTERVENTION

Am I right in assumming potato ball is basically football with a potato?

jh12
2019-04-18, 03:01 PM
8th:
Holy Aura grants your boon companions "the eye of the tiger"

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 03:20 PM
Am I right in assumming potato ball is basically football with a potato?

Not quite. It is sort of one of those insane fantasy sports where nobody is quite sure what the rules are and the rules are sort of flexible.

Potato ball is played either on foot or on horse. (my pony Spudicus is my preferred companion). The object of the game is to get large potatoes into a sack on the opposing side of the field (which is about three times as long and twice as wide as a football field, and is not necessarily a flat piece of ground. Each player has a potato hammer he can use to hit the large potatoes (or opposing players), as well as a sling that the player can use to launch hard "rock like" potatoes at their opponents. These smaller potatoes are also worth one point if ten are thrown into the sack. This is difficult due to the level of violence generally going on near the sack.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 03:21 PM
8th:
Holy Aura grants your boon companions "the eye of the tiger"

HA, that's a good one.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-18, 03:43 PM
Not quite. It is sort of one of those insane fantasy sports where nobody is quite sure what the rules are and the rules are sort of flexible.

Potato ball is played either on foot or on horse. (my pony Spudicus is my preferred companion). The object of the game is to get large potatoes into a sack on the opposing side of the field (which is about three times as long and twice as wide as a football field, and is not necessarily a flat piece of ground. Each player has a potato hammer he can use to hit the large potatoes (or opposing players), as well as a sling that the player can use to launch hard "rock like" potatoes at their opponents. These smaller potatoes are also worth one point if ten are thrown into the sack. This is difficult due to the level of violence generally going on near the sack.

Then Guardian of Faith could summon a "hitter" one of those guys with a potato hammer.

Heroes feats would be the mashed potatoes eaten after every game.

MilkmanDanimal
2019-04-18, 03:50 PM
Perhaps Vicious Mockery as a free subclass feature; "BRO, DO YOU EVEN LIFT?"

xroads
2019-04-18, 04:19 PM
3rd:
Beacon of Hope:
Dispel Magic
Revivify: A spectral agent arrives shouting "You're not out of contract yet!"

4th:
Banishment
Guardian of Faith

5th:
Commune: Commune with the all powerful referee.
Greater Restoration
Hallow
Planar Binding: Draft time!
Scrying: Listen in on a spectral radio to the sport's announcers.

6th:
Heal
Heroes' Feast
Planar Ally

7th:
Conjure Celestial
Resurrection

8th:
Holy Aura

9th:
Gate: Road trip! A giant bus (carriage, wagon, etc.) arrives to pick up the team.
Mass Heal: Spectral cheerleaders arrive to cheer the team on.
True Resurrection: Back from retirement. A spectral agent arrives to ask the player to come back from retirement for one more go.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY DIVINE INTERVENTION: You appear at the desk of the grand team owner (your god) to submit your request. Better make it a good one! :smallwink:

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 04:25 PM
Then Guardian of Faith could summon a "hitter" one of those guys with a potato hammer.

Heroes feats would be the mashed potatoes eaten after every game.

All types of potatoes, Boil em, mash em, put em in a stew...

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-18, 04:27 PM
3rd:
Beacon of Hope:
Dispel Magic
Revivify: A spectral agent arrives shouting "You're not out of contract yet!"

5th:
Commune: Commune with the all powerful referee.
Planar Binding: Draft time!
Scrying: Listen in on a spectral radio to the sport's announcers.

9th:
Gate: Road trip! A giant bus (carriage, wagon, etc.) arrives to pick up the team.
Mass Heal: Spectral cheerleaders arrive to cheer the team on.
True Resurrection: Back from retirement. A spectral agent arrives to ask the player to come back from retirement for one more go.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY DIVINE INTERVENTION: You appear at the desk of the grand team owner (your god) to submit your request. Better make it a good one! :smallwink:

These are all quality. I especially like the team bus for gate. (I also was thinking of madden for scrying)

Rukelnikov
2019-04-18, 04:30 PM
All types of potatoes, Boil em, mash em, put em in a stew...

Buts there'll be lots of already mashed ones by the time the match ends :biggrin:

xroads
2019-04-18, 05:17 PM
These are all quality. I especially like the team bus for gate. (I also was thinking of madden for scrying)

Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Shadhael
2019-04-18, 07:09 PM
Revivify - smelling salts, wake the players up after a big hit and get them back in the game. Could also be used for x Restoration

Scry - getting the advanced scouting report

Banishment - the penalty box idea is perfect

Hallow - you summon a stadium, possibly a spectral one? Complete with raucous crowd, bright lights, roof with no lights, etc etc conditions change depending on extra effect

Gate - definitely a team road trip as mentioned above, "alright ladies and gentlemen, get on the bus, next game is on the road, gotta take it to 'em, let's go let's go"

Heal - being single target your Gatorade shower could work here. Hard to Gatorade shower a group of 8 (mass cure). Feels a bit more of a post game thing as opposed to in the middle of the game though.

Some ideas for general RP. Lots of sports people develop superstitious rituals. You tried them all and found ones that just happen to work for you, every time. Your material components or focus are lucky talismans, verbal and somatic components are your tried and true methods for getting that lucky break at the right time. Given the possibility of welcoming a newly rolled PC to the group, the old character has died on the field, or retired from the game, "but don't worry, we've just made this free agent signing (or trade), and (s)he will help bring a breath of fresh air into the locker room, help revitalize the team"

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-19, 08:57 AM
Revivify - smelling salts, wake the players up after a big hit and get them back in the game. Could also be used for x Restoration

Hallow - you summon a stadium, possibly a spectral one? Complete with raucous crowd, bright lights, roof with no lights, etc etc conditions change depending on extra effect

Heal - being single target your Gatorade shower could work here. Hard to Gatorade shower a group of 8 (mass cure). Feels a bit more of a post game thing as opposed to in the middle of the game though.

Some ideas for general RP. Lots of sports people develop superstitious rituals. You tried them all and found ones that just happen to work for you, every time. Your material components or focus are lucky talismans, verbal and somatic components are your tried and true methods for getting that lucky break at the right time. Given the possibility of welcoming a newly rolled PC to the group, the old character has died on the field, or retired from the game, "but don't worry, we've just made this free agent signing (or trade), and (s)he will help bring a breath of fresh air into the locker room, help revitalize the team"

I like pretty much all of these. I have actually been using my playbook as my spellcasting focus...

Vogie
2019-04-19, 10:51 AM
Hallow is what you use to make the home stadium. Temple of the Gods is actually a portable Stadium.

If you haven't statted out the game itself, use Middle Finger of Vecna's Siegeball rules.

LibraryOgre
2019-04-19, 10:59 AM
If he does not have the Athlete Proficiency, he needs a story about WHY he can't do these things anymore.

Bitter former teacher response: Under no circumstances should he have proficiency in History, but he should often give forth opinions about it, and try to teach it to others.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-19, 11:00 AM
Hallow is what you use to make the home stadium. Temple of the Gods is actually a portable Stadium.

If you haven't statted out the game itself, use Middle Finger of Vecna's Siegeball rules.

This is awesome! I can easily modify this for potato ball!

(Also my god i forgot about temple of the gods. This is amazing.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-19, 11:03 AM
If he does not have the Athlete Proficiency, he needs a story about WHY he can't do these things anymore.

Bitter former teacher response: Under no circumstances should he have proficiency in History, but he should often give forth opinions about it, and try to teach it to others.

My DM let me take the actual sport as a proficiency (sort of like a tool proficiency) I can explain the game all day but i'm not as good as I once was. (But i'm as good once as i ever was..)

He does play occasionally for fun. TBH he is a bit traumatized by the fact his team was eaten by a chimera mascot, which was a terrible idea on the part of the other team..

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-19, 12:31 PM
I would also love ideas for the ceremony spell. Lets go ahead and exclude the "coming of age" section of the spell from such suggestions if you don't mind.

Yakmala
2019-04-19, 12:59 PM
Does Potato Ball use a bat or stick of some sort?

If so, have the Coach/Cleric pick up Shillelagh via Magic Initiate and use your sports equipment as your primary weapon.

jh12
2019-04-19, 09:47 PM
I would also love ideas for the ceremony spell. Lets go ahead and exclude the "coming of age" section of the spell from such suggestions if you don't mind.

There's the Trophy Presentations:
Atonement - Comeback player of the Year
Coming of Age - Rookie of the Year
Dedications - MVP
Funeral Rite - Defensive Player of the Year (defending against undeath is some pretty serious defending)

And Bless Water is clearly just mixing up some Gatorade.

The Wedding Rite is a little tougher, but hey, folks do get married at the ballparks.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-22, 09:00 AM
Does Potato Ball use a bat or stick of some sort?

If so, have the Coach/Cleric pick up Shillelagh via Magic Initiate and use your sports equipment as your primary weapon.

It is played with hammers so they already have quite a few violence based applications...