PDA

View Full Version : Help me Homebrew a goat man race real quick.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-15, 01:09 PM
Daughter wants to play as "a goat".

I figure +2 Dex, +1 Con. Horns as a 1d4 natural weapon. Athletics proficiency and no penalty for standing jumps. Probably a way to reduce falling damage. Anything else?

Crucius
2019-04-15, 01:12 PM
It's a good start, but feels a bit light. Maybe take inspiration from the charger feat or the Minotaur's gore feature to give it some more meat.

Edit: To me it sounds like a combination between Tabaxi and Minotaur features would work really well. So full climbing speed (if it is based on a mountain goat) with a gore attack on the horns, with the things proposed by you yourself, will go a long way.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-15, 01:14 PM
Daughter wants to play as "a goat".

I figure +2 Dex, +1 Con. Horns as a 1d4 natural weapon. Athletics proficiency and no penalty for standing jumps. Probably a way to reduce falling damage. Anything else?

Ignores Difficult Terrain caused by stones or earth (use the description from the Land Druid to make it perfect), learns one language and instrument for free. Comes with the Friends cantrip. Going for that classic, trouble-making Satyr vibe, while also making it a consistent melee combatant that's hard to pin down.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-15, 01:29 PM
Nimble footwork- you can make a standing jumps without penalty, and don't need to make an acrobatics check to land in difficult terrain without falling prone. You have advantage on acrobatics checks to keep your balance, and can balance on surfaces as if you were one size smaller.

This effectively allows them to ignore most types of difficult terrain: they simply bounce through it.

Sigreid
2019-04-15, 01:35 PM
Climb speed because goats can stand on stuff you cant even see.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-15, 01:49 PM
Climb speed because goats can stand on stuff you cant even see.

I kind of figure the jumping and balance perks of "Nimble Footwork" handle this. They won't technically be climbing, they'll be jumping on tiny ledges and things.

Boci
2019-04-15, 01:52 PM
3.5 had a goat race that gave bonuses for fighting when adjacent to other allies. Pack attack is too powerful, but maybe advantage on saving throws vs. fear when adjacent to at least one other ally? Possible also on saves vs. ingested poison and diseases resulting from spilt food, since goats can eat anything (this one wouldn't require an ally to be adjacent, that would be a wierd restriction)?

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-15, 01:54 PM
from the goat beast

Sure-Footed: The goat has advantage on Strength and Dexterity Saving Throws made against Effects that would knock it prone.

Charge: If the goat moves at least 20 ft. straight toward a target and then hits it with a ram Attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 10 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone

i like the standing jump, natural weapon.

suplee215
2019-04-15, 01:54 PM
Advantage when the enemy tries to shove you.

Wildarm
2019-04-15, 02:12 PM
Iron Gut - Advantage vs Poison or Disease caused by ingestion?
Persistent - Reroll 1 failed Saving Throw or Ability Check - 1/SR

strangebloke
2019-04-15, 02:20 PM
Minotaur horns ability
+2dex+1wis
Climb speed equal to move speed.
Gain one tool proficiency of your choice
Resistance to cold damage.

No brains
2019-04-15, 02:28 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, I'm not a tiefling, I'm a satyr.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-15, 02:56 PM
Finished our play session. She had fun and the mechanics weren't super relevant to her, but her brother is a bit of a rules-cop, so I'm still working things out. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Iron Gut - Advantage vs Poison or Disease caused by ingestion?

Goats are generalist foragers, but they're vulnerable to poisoning themselves if they eat the wrong sort of plant. And they'll kill themselves eating if they get into something as simple as a bag of grain.

I'd maybe give them advantage on survival checks foraging for food for themselves just because there is a wide range of things they can eat.

[QUOTE=strangebloke;23847481]+2dex+1wis

In my opinion, goats have no business having a wis bonus. Their senses are quite poor compared to most other prey species and they're fairly easy to surprise. They fall for tricks where you distract them with grain in one hand while you put a harness on them with the other. They're reasonably clever and fairly good at problem solving (they can figure out many kinds of latches by watching humans operate them) but they lack common sense, doing stupid things and endangering themselves because they're curious, bored or hungry.

I gave them a con bonus because they're tough. They slam their heads together when bored and crawl through blackberry brambles just to see what's on the other side of them.

Sigreid
2019-04-15, 03:27 PM
Finished our play session. She had fun and the mechanics weren't super relevant to her, but her brother is a bit of a rules-cop, so I'm still working things out. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Goats are generalist foragers, but they're vulnerable to poisoning themselves if they eat the wrong sort of plant. And they'll kill themselves eating if they get into something as simple as a bag of grain.

I'd maybe give them advantage on survival checks foraging for food for themselves just because there is a wide range of things they can eat.

[quote]

In my opinion, goats have no business having a wis bonus. Their senses are quite poor compared to most other prey species and they're fairly easy to surprise. They fall for tricks where you distract them with grain in one hand while you put a harness on them with the other. They're reasonably clever and fairly good at problem solving (they can figure out many kinds of latches by watching humans operate them) but they lack common sense, doing stupid things and endangering themselves because they're curious, bored or hungry.

I gave them a con bonus because they're tough. They slam their heads together when bored and crawl through blackberry brambles just to see what's on the other side of them.

You sound like a man, or woman, who knows goats. I've had some experience with them and found them to mostly be ill tempered and nasty.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-15, 03:39 PM
You sound like a man, or woman, who knows goats. I've had some experience with them and found them to mostly be ill tempered and nasty.

I have several. Mine are pleasant, but I've known nasty goats too. IMO, goats get nasty if they're raised without other goats. They're social animals and get stressed when they don't have other goats to keep them company. Many people conclude that bucks are nasty, but in my experience that comes from the fact bucks are more likely to be kept by themselves since a dairy farm only needs one buck and the buck being near the does while they're in milk makes the milk taste weird for hormonal reasons.

Grog Logs
2019-04-15, 03:39 PM
There are a lot of great suggestions above. In order to determine if the character is receiving enough special abilities (but not too many), I highly recommend that you consult Musicus's Homebrew (https://zappyman2.wixsite.com/musicushomebrew/homebrew-races). The brackets below represent the point value.

Goatfolk [Score: 5.5]
+2 Str [+2.0]
+1 Con [+1.0]
Ram. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes using your horns, which deal 1d4 bludgeoning plus strength damage on a hit. [+0.5]
Charge. If the goatfolk moves at least 20 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a ram attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 2d4 bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. [+0.5]
Sure-Footed: Goatfolk have advantage on Strength and Dexterity saving throws made afainst effects that would knock it prone. [+1.0]
Proficiency in Athletics [0.5]

Or, just use any of the various Minotaur UA articles, making only small substitutions (e.g., proficiency with navigator's tools and water vehicles for Athletics).

follacchioso
2019-04-15, 04:29 PM
Aren't Goliaths a goat race already?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-15, 05:13 PM
Thought they were related to Giants. The 4E Dark Sun version has them listed as Half-Giants.

Yes, that's correct. I'm thinking that Follacchioso was thinking of Tieflings?

Papa_Hewi
2019-04-15, 05:28 PM

Purely from a mechanical perspective lol

Sigreid
2019-04-15, 05:46 PM
Definitely not what your daughter was looking for but I've always liked the ibixian from Runequest. Violent, bestial goat men that worship spirits of disease.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-15, 06:19 PM

I wanted a goat race, not the GOAT race.